TWS 1988

Chillaxing

meeting and talking with clifford at sas is something i wont forget ...it was after his dad was hurt ..i know he had everyone in the world asking about bobby that year ..he told me he did not get tired of poeple asking .really nice young man ..we talked like we knew each other for years ..it was a sad day when he was killed ...felt like i lost a close friend ..

Hey Tom………I found a photo of the car that car that started next to Clifford, it’s car #16 on the outside of Rick in practice, I am not sure of who that is. I also have some Photo’s of my good buddy Mike Denman not having one of his better days.

post-8023-1198856337_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1198856353_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1198856368_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1198856389_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1198856412_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1198856435_thumb.jpg

Wasn't there a guy named Roy Payne that ran a #16 in a couple of those races...

I had a pretty good idea that it was Roy Payne……I had seen his name on another car #16 in some photos from 1987..... but I don’t know who he is, are anything about him and I would rather not take guess.

I believe ya'll got the 16 right, Roy Payne.

His Dad was Curtis Payne who owned RPM Enterprises in Alvin, Texas. Payne owned Late Models that were driven by John Rezek, and also fielded Cup cars for 4 races in 1979 with Rezek driving. He also owned cars that Rezek drove in ARCA and USAC.

When car owner Rush Johnson died, Payne bought the brown #11 that Larry Schild had driven to so many wins, and also the first year of Hwy 16. Rezek drove it for a short time before a crash parked in it a corner of the shop. If I recall correctly, Joe Sturdivant bought it, fixed it, and ran it as a #18 at TWS.

Roy Payne was featured in a 80's issue of Stock Car Magazine for travelling weekly from Alvin to Montgomery Speedway in Alabama to race their sportsman division; I think he won a championship there.

Roy Payne went on to run some Busch Series in 1993 and 1994.

Chill, Mike had some good runs up there, but you are right; that pic wasn't one of them!

Hey Tom………I found a photo of the car that car that started next to Clifford, it’s car #16 on the outside of Rick in practice, I am not sure of who that is. I also have some Photo’s of my good buddy Mike Denman not having one of his better days.

Whats up with the lead in the RR outside frame rail?

Whats up with the lead in the RR outside frame rail?

He was more than likely trying to get his left rear where he wanted it for balance. On the high banked ovals you don't get the chassis roll like you do on a short-track. You can turn jack screws all day and you will not move the left side or rear weight with the jack screws. To make changes to left side or rear percentages you will need to move lead or other mass within the car. I assume that was his goal when he setup the car for TWS.

Remember also that the TROC races were a road course.

You would want more of a L/R balance.

While they ran half of a lap on the banks of turns 3 & 4, they were also still coming up to speed on those turns.

We tweaked our car to handle real well in the roadcourse part of the track, and let the engine and the body mods run it down the front straight.

landlord: You asked, "Whats up with the lead in the RR outside frame rail?".

I recall that in all class Texas Race of Champions rules we wrote, we allowed a maximum side offset weight of 55%. It was the decision of the race teams whether they wanted to place the weights at 55% left side or

55% right side or just split the difference at 50% - 50%.

The TWS road course presented the driver and crew with compromises that they had to determine and deal with.

From an officiating point of view, if we had not mandated a 55% maximum offset on either side, a hazardous situation may have existed. If a car was set at, lets say, 65% left side and spun on a right hand turn, his car may have more easily rolled over with the aid of that 65% on the left side.

That is the reason you saw lead bars in the exposed right frame rail of Mike Denman's #88 TROC car in the photo.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

A-ROCKET - Thanks for asking "Neil, can you post the results for this race?"

I am afraid that this Texas Race of Champions event at Texas World Speedway was from the era of the pre computer days. I don't think I still have the paper records.

I was able to dig up the following race winners and track record holders:

TIDA Late Model Series Winners at TWS:

October 30, 1988 - Tommy Riggins - 62 miles

April 11, 1992 - Slick Yoemans - 66 miles

September 22, 1991 - Slick Yoemans - 66 miles

March 20, 1993 - Howard Willis III - 80 miles

March 31, 1996 - David Starr - 30 miles (1 1/2 mile oval)

March 31, 1996 - Tommy Grimes - 30 miles (1 1/2 mile oval)

TIDA-LM TROC Qualifying Track Records:

November 11, 1992 - Slick Yoemans - 2 mile road crs - 64.297 sec (2 mile road course)

March 30, 1996 - Jay Watson - 1 1/2 mile oval -- 45.300 sec

Tex Tom, how about you, do you have more TROC results?

Race Results and Track Records compiled by:

Neil Upchurch

Founder & Former President and Race Director

TIDA Late Model Series, 1988-1997

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions @ Texas World Speedway

nice I always loved the wa those cars looked :D

Neil, can you post the results for this race?

A-Rocket – I wish I had more information to help out on you question for results, but the only thing I can did up is a program from C. C. SPEEDWAY for a TIDA weekend. Here is the cover and a page from that program. Also in the write up you can see a reference to Billy Christopher being injured. The best photo I have shows that the left door and door bars were cut out to remove him from the car, (the blue #61 on trailer on the other side of fence). I don’t recall who all was involved with the incident but it happened during practice.

post-8023-1199166608_thumb.jpg

post-8023-1199166656_thumb.jpg

post-3-1204837727_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The crashed #11 in this series of pictures was Leroy Farmer! We had just finished that car in time for the race on Friday night! There were only 2 Pontiac bodies available at that time, one was Greg Davidson and the other was Leroy's.

The memories: The rear brakes would not stop the car during practices (some fancy aluminum jobies, so the front brake calipers were taken off my Blazer (tow vehicle) and fitted to the car for the race!

In the wreck, the shock hat came off and went into Denny Burton's car, braking his jaw! The shock hat was returned a year or so later! There was such a dust cloud during the wreck, it is unsure what went on, but Leroy was sure the car actually rolled in mid air coming back down on its wheels!

The car was repaired and in Odessa for their opener 2 weeks later, when it started snowing during practice!

Dang, I need to dig out all my old pics and scan them! Have lots of them from those years at TROC and Texas Grand Prix!

Yup, I am diggin gin the archives again! Sorry!

Archived