TWS 1988

Chillaxing

So, as you can see I am just a floor sweeper, and this is my first post. I don’t have a lot to say, but I do have a few photos that some of you might find interesting. So I will show these first and see what happens, and I will let the race winners and champions give you the scoop. :D

[resized by Nick Holt, 12/24/07]

post-3-1198522478_thumb.jpg

post-3-1198522485_thumb.jpg

post-3-1198522491_thumb.jpg

post-3-1198522497_thumb.jpg

Some great pics there, Post more if you have them.

Meanwhile, I just happen to have some pics from that very same race; I will post them after I get them sorted out.

Bobby Allison was a regular at the TROC races; and if you go back through this history section; you will see a lot of reference to Bobby and Davey at TWS. Several of the races, Davey would bring his dad's car over and do all the practice and qualifying.

i thought davey was at that race? or maybe it was the Tx. Grand Prix race in march , the following year clifford was there i think.(help me out tom) i've got pics from that race.

i thought davey was at that race? or maybe it was the Tx. Grand Prix race in march , the following year clifford was there i think.(help me out tom) i've got pics from that race.

Davey usually just practiced and qualified his Dad's car.

Neil Upchurch will probably have the answer to this one.

i have some footage on a super 8 video camera tape but camera is dead. the footage is from a arca/winston west race at tws one of the last ones there and footage has some shots from the parking lot at the hotels with the rigs. some footage of clifford allisons piper rig any have the means to convert this to vhs or cd in the houston area please let me know id love to recover this footage so i can see it again thanks.

i have some footage on a super 8 video camera tape but camera is dead. the footage is from a arca/winston west race at tws one of the last ones there and footage has some shots from the parking lot at the hotels with the rigs. some footage of clifford allisons piper rig any have the means to convert this to vhs or cd in the houston area please let me know id love to recover this footage so i can see it again thanks.

VideoComm Technologies International, Inc.

2437 Bay Area Blvd. #456

Houston, TX 77058

281/992-4100

888-778-4336

That 24 car looks very familiar to me looks like a car I had seen at SAS before... Who is it?

Slick Yoemans.

In the fourth pic posted by chill, Greg Davidson is immediately behind Slick in the formation.

Tom: You wrote, "Davey usually just practiced and qualified his Dad's car.Neil Upchurch will probably have the answer to this one."

Ok Tom, I will.

In all the TROC races, Bobby Allison always practiced and qualified his car like the #12 Piper sponsored car on the pit road in the picture. Whenever Davey was at TWS, he was driving another Allison entry.

see86go, you wrote, "I believe that's Clifford with the Peak patch on his sleeve". see86go,

You are correct. When Clifford was old enough, he started driving another Allison entry in some of the Texas Race of Champions events. He was often mistaken for his older brother Davey.

btw: That red car down on the apron in turn 4 oval appears to be Sam Range of Houston. The front runners must have been lapping him.

Tom - Did you enjoy the Lake Travis 4A football playoff game?

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions at TWS

Ok Tom, I will.

In all the TROC races, Bobby Allison always practiced and qualified his car like the #12 Piper sponsored car on the pit road in the picture. Whenever Davey was at TWS, he was driving another Allison entry.

I didn't recall Davey driving on Sunday; I have pics of him and his Dad in the same car; That's why I thought he did the practice.

btw: That red car down on the apron in turn 4 oval appears to be Sam Range of Houston. The front runners must have been lapping him.

That does have the Sam Range scheme; and I remember Fryar driving a car with Range on the side, although I think that was a different year. Fryar drove a car with a wedge shaped nose on it.

Tom - Did you enjoy the Lake Travis 4A football playoff game?

I guess if you like Offense, that was the game to see! LOL

You recognized Steve Klestinec next to me at the game; his two kids attended Lake Travis, and his wife used to work for the district.

I wouldn't drive there to watch pro football, but I will go about anywhere for a good high school game.

(For those who don't know, Neil is also a High School Football announcer, and has old friend Cotton Sherland in the booth with him)

Below is the wedge nosed car Freddy drove in probably 87. I don't remember if Freddy or Sam Range owned it. I have a pic of Freddy in a conventional nose car in the November 86 race, so I think this one is one of the 87 races.

I am pretty sure Rodney is correct about the 77 car being Bobby Labonte. I have seen another pic of that car when Bobby raced the Snowball Derby in 1988.

You Austin racers will recognize the guy in the black cowboy hat steering the car as J.R. (Junior) who crews Bobby Joe New's cars.

post-21-1198702479_thumb.jpg

Tom: The #14 with the wedge nose was a Sam Range owned car. The photo shows a "Range Racing" graphic on the side of the car.

Regarding Bobby and Davey Allison. While it may be correct to say that Davey drove Bobby's car in a few practice sessions, Bobby was always at TWS to qualify his car on Saturday because we had no provisional starting positions on the Sunday grid for past champions etc.

btw: Lake Travis went on to win the 4A Texas State high school football championship this year. Cotton Sherland was helping as a "spotter". He is pretty good at spotting. Ask Greg Davidson.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions at TWS

Sends chills just remembering hearing the sound when they came for the green flag there. Looks like Bobby Allison and Greg Davidson front row, Freddy Fryar and Rick Rapp 2nd row.

you are close:

Row 1-Bobby Allison, Bobby Labonte

Row 2-Slick Yoemans, Rick Rapp

Row 3- Greg Davidson, Ken Neal

Row 4- Clifford Allison, Don't know about the outside.

In this pic,

Neil Upchurch is talking to Clifford Allison, who started 7th.

In the background, you can see Bobby Allison talking to Slick Yoemans in the black jacket with his back to you, Greg Davidson in the black firesuit, Rick Rapp in the blue and white shirt, and Ken Neal in the red firesuit.

In the pic to the right of this in chill's post, you can see Bobby Labonte in the black and white firesuit talking to Bobby Allison while Slick Yoemans in the black jacket watches Rick Rapp walk up the ramp to be introduced by Neil Upchurch.

post-21-1198784061_thumb.jpg

Archived