tire

hotshot

If the PLM's use the Goodyears then perhaps I will go visit Big John and buy the Bud-Light....Get him goosied up and get his tire pull-offs from Lemon-Lime Lloyd's car.

Wait a minute, heck I'll spend more in Cerveza than a new set of tires will cost!!!!

Scratch that idea!

:lol:

If the PLM's use the Goodyears then perhaps I will go visit Big John and buy the Bud-Light....Get him goosied up and get his tire pull-offs from Lemon-Lime Lloyd's car.

Wait a minute, heck I'll spend more in Cerveza than a new set of tires will cost!!!!

Scratch that idea!

:lol:

Good thought Mel, but they use a different goodyear (10" slick.) Heck, give it a try anyway, you never know what kind of good stuff you might come away with.

After viewing the posts here (pros & cons) ...added with my observations as a TSRS Official I would rather go to the Goodyears or stay with 970's. I've seen nights when as much as 8 or 9 flats occurred in a TSRS race in Houston. Wasn't this the track tire at THR before the 970's.....lotsa flats! but some or maybe most was in part to the street sweeper being used. Last but not least I am for keeping costs down...for the most part my racing is paid for by "me" and I barely make enough to pay bills and take care of my family.

After viewing the posts here (pros & cons) ...added with my observations as a TSRS Official I would rather go to the Goodyears or stay with 970's. I've seen nights when as much as 8 or 9 flats occurred in a TSRS race in Houston. Wasn't this the track tire at THR before the 970's.....lotsa flats! but some or maybe most was in part to the street sweeper being used. Last but not least I am for keeping costs down...for the most part my racing is paid for by "me" and I barely make enough to pay bills and take care of my family.

Fast18, You are correct about the flat tires, for some reason the F-53's can get cut or poked real easy. At SAS I saw many a ruined tire just from people coming off the track after a few hard practice laps, a rock with a sharp edge could do in a brand new tire. I will say that the 970 is a "tough" tire, unless you get tangled up real bad, this tire can last, as for the Goodyear tire, I have never ran them, but I do like the fact that so many people have praised it as a durable tire and a little less expensive. I hope this issue will be taken seriously, I want to race, but I don't need to go broke over my "hobby"!!! ;) Lenny66 B)

If the track is going to a treaded tire, it makes much better sense to go with the tire that HMP is already running.

On the other hand, it makes little sense for the "sister tracks" to run a very similar style of tire but from different manufacturers.

Again, I have no vested interest in which tire THR goes with, but I honestly believe it would be in everyone's best interest, at least in the long run, if all three paved Texas tracks (hopefully a 4th soon!) ran the same economical, long-lasting, very repeatable treaded tire.

Nick

Is this a track deal so they can make money.If so everyone needs to take that into consideration.THR has got to make a profit and they already let you guys race pretty darn cheap if they need to make a few bucks off the tires so be it.

Not only is it good for the tracks to make a couple of dollars, but just as important, it would be great to get the asphalt tracks closer in line with each other. That subject has been tossed around for years and now there is an oppertunity to take a step closer for that to be a reality. No it isn't going to happen with just the tire issue but it would be a step non the less.

ok, that's it; Towel City Retread it is!

LOL

But outlaw22, you know darn well that the Towel City Retreads only work on my Lighter Than Air Chassis (LTAC).

By the way, I'm having a Christmas Special on the LTAC (Only $25,000 and half price shipping - gas cards gratefully accepted instead of cash) since I have discovered a new source of rarified methane in the Corpus Christi area. As you know, I had a "matched set" of methane donors all lined up, but they seemed to have disappeared into thin air (pun intended).

Nick

Is this a track deal so they can make money.If so everyone needs to take that into consideration.THR has got to make a profit and they already let you guys race pretty darn cheap if they need to make a few bucks off the tires so be it.

We probably need to get some correspondence from Mary Ann & THR on this issue. I think we all realize that business is business. We just need some clarification on this tire issue. In my opinion: "IF and I say only IF" we decided to go with one particular tire brand for all classes at THR to include all touring series TSRS/TRUCKS/MODS/LEGACYS/PRO SEDANS, wouldn't that cut down on cost for inventory purposes???

As for pretty darn cheap to race, yea, the cheapest thing for me on Saturday Race Day is the pit fee. Everything else is muncho $$$. Lenny66 B)

duribility, I had my right front valve stem removed by a truck going into turn one slid up into the grassy area drove it back through the pits and changed it. Thought it got cut down.anyway I put a new valve stem in it reset the bead and raced it satisfactorly the very next race finishing second I think. I would easily pay another 10.00 for this tire(not that I want to.) knowing that I wouldnt have to buy any more for a while.

The 970 is a pretty good tire, but I dont think as durable as the GY. I mean it is tough just to stick a temp probe in it, much less a rock or something.

By the way, I'm having a Christmas Special on the LTAC (Only $25,000 and half price shipping - gas cards gratefully accepted instead of cash) since I have discovered a new source of rarified methane in the Corpus Christi area. As you know, I had a "matched set" of methane donors all lined up, but they seemed to have disappeared into thin air (pun intended).

now nick that is border line bash right there. but since it is funny its all good. lol happy holidays everyone

I really don,t care which tire we us but i would sure like to not feel i have to have new ones every race just to keep up, if the good year is the most durable one and last a lot longer with not much fall off its a no brainer,if everyone is on it what does it matter. i have to get . 2 races on a set and god knows how many practice laps, i just can,t afford new ones every race. now is the time to do anything if we are going to, i would love to get 3 races and practice on one set 3 sets for the year would be great jmo waddy

Agree with Nick's and other driver's comments regarding the Hoosier tires. We would like to try the Goodyears and haven't heard many negative concerns about them. If there is a contractual obilgation with Hoosier, suggest we go back to the 970s.

We would be able to run more TSRS races, if there were a more durable tire. We see some teams buying 3 or more sets of F53's for one night's race. Believe TSRS, and the other classes too, would see the competition more level and would probably see more drivers feeling like they could affordably race. More cars, more familys/fans, better racing...should benefit both the track and drivers.

Does Hoosier contribute anything more to THR or TSRS, other than the nice jackets? As much business as they get from all of us, would be nice if they did something that would benifit the drivers point fund, money or free tires...or something other than a promotional reward. FiveStar and ARP have been very generous to help out the racers this way.

Naw.. I wasn't bashing oldtimer... just acknowledging his abilities with a keyboard..

Oh.. wait.. you don't mean OT, do ya...

Nick

just think i was going to send you a christmas card ..may have had something good for you ..but noOOooo .you had to let the truth out didnt you ..

Im with Waddy, if the Goodyears are more durable and new ones dont have much of an advantage over 1 or 2 week old sets than lets go with that. Slow the cars up a little,(OK) maybe more side by side racin', more excitement for the fans, more butts in the stands, more revenue for the track, more racing... etc....etc.

Just my observation. If the track needs to make more money on the tire, add $5 to it. You will still save money with the goodyears because you will not have to buy as many, as they hold up better than both the f 53's and the 970's, which I ran in 2006. Goodyears fealt real Greasy the first time out, but after a couple heat cycles, they were awsome.

Not being an owner, I know my vote won't count, but I can put in my 2 cents anyway.

We've run the F53's, 970's and Goodyears. We were also a Hoosier dealer. Some of you have heard me say all of this before, but here goes again.

The F53 is a 2 ply racing tire (slick) with relatively soft compound. That's why they are faster than the other 2 and it's also why they experience more flats. The F53 is an "air pressure tuneable" tire. In other words, you can make small changes in suspension spring rates by changing the air pressure in the tire.

The 970 is a much stiffer tire (but not as stiff as the GY) with a harder compound. It is also treaded, but it is 1" wider that the F53 which gives almost as much grip as the F53 once it gets hot. Problem is, since it's treaded it will give up grip on a long run compared to the F53 on the same run. They don't puncture easily and they last several races.

The GY is a completely different story. It is a 4 ply tire with a totally different rubber compound than the Hoosiers. The roleout is much smaller than the Hoosiers, and we found we had to change rearend ratios when we went to GY's. They don't puncture and they last for several races. Sizes are limited and you simply air them up until you get the rollout needed (in other words, they are not air tuneable).

My personable opinion is that Mary Ann was on the right track by letting all the classes use the same tire. That way TSRS teams can sell their used tires and lower classes have a good source of inexpensive tires. If you think the F53 is too fragile, then put them all on 970's or GY's, but whatever you do, keep them all on the same tires.

Archived