tire

hotshot

Tire rules suck for low budget race teams think local short tracks should not mandate tires. I can see mandated tires for a series. But for you re pure type cars allow them to run a 70 series d.o.t. tire and a hobby type car run on a 60 series tire. on a SS or pro type car run a good lasting race tire . I think that would bring a bunch more cars out. Ya ll keep changing tire rule racer are not going to be afford to race.

It will be interesting to see how well this tire does on these heavy metal bodies cars. With our experience running them in late models, I would suspect the other classes will see a lot more of flats, they won't last long, and be more expensive. Suggest you scuff your tires, then let them sit a week or so. They're much more durable after doing this. Better yet, save your money and buy take offs. Maybe someone should start a Hooiser used tire business :).

125 laps is the bitter end for the right sides maybe a few more for the lefts. I bet whoever can afford new tire for there SS every couple of races has the best chance. I've raced the f53 and it is not even as good as the AR's, but this goodyear the trucks and mods are on is awesome, alot slower, but indestructable and consistantly slow for hundreds of laps. probably have 600-650 laps on my lefts and a few hundred on my rights and still qualified in the top 5 and finished(from the back) in the top three almost every race. my lefts will proly see over 1000 laps before i replace them. They might be slow but consistant tires make good racing and the trucks and mods put on some good shows.jmo

The tracks are doing a good thing by mandating a tire rule. Tire rules have been effect for decades in grass roots racing. If you're biggest cost concern is new tires then you're in better shape than the rest of us. We need to all goto the Goodyear tires. 50+ heat cycles is darn near an entire season with practice. Give the promoters some slack, it's not the tire rules that are causing the parked trucks to not come out. HMP is offering for the trucks $1500.00 to win. I bet this still doesn't draw all the trucks out of the barns because someone will have some other reason why they are mad at someone for something.

I would like to personally thank the tracks for coming up with one set tire. It levels the playing field and makes it not a tire war.

<_< The tire rule sux!!! First, at SAS we were running the Hoosier F-53, then the rule change to those Junk A$$ American Racers, then close SAS go to Kyle, have to run the 970 treaded Hoosiers, now we are back to the F-53's. I have a garage full of old F-53's, American Junk Racers and now 970 Hoosiers. For those of you that don't have a problem buying tires every time you run, more power to you, as for me, I shouldn't have to go broke or limit my track time because we can't make up our minds about tires. I think we should be able to buy the tires we need to run from whoever has them available. Regardless of the track requiring a "marking" on the tire. If I can get my tires cheaper, I don't have a problem bringing them to the track and having an official "check" them out to make sure they have not been "soaked" or anything else and then you can "brand" them with the THR marking. Sure seems like they are trying to make it more expensive to go run. Lenny66 :o

I for one want and try to run new tire's for qualifing and feature. Then practice those the next week. And they seem to be in purdy good shape. I will tell you this Robert and I threw away tires that would have been really good in t/s...Joey's a lucky man..lol

Guy's & Girls... I have spoken via e-mail with Mary Ann & Jerry... There should be some info posted sometime in the next 24-48 hours on the THR Thunder Stock & Super Stock Tire situation.

Please contact your fellow drivers, and have them keep an eye on TXSZ.. She is open to changing this. But its in the hands of the drivers/Teams.

I applaud Mary Ann, Jerry, and everyone else concerned for an "open ear" to the tire situation. Wondering if a "show of hands" or a "poll" on the tire choice would bring all of us together on the same page?? I will admit I have heard so many "bad" things about the F-53 tire from former SAS drivers & current TSRS drivers that I am a little sceptical about it. I have never ran this tire on my SS, so I hope I'm not jumping the gun. At this point and time with racing so expensive and the added concern of the track itself, maybe get a few SS and TS drivers together and lets sit down and come up with some pro's and con's. I'm open for an open minded meeting at any time and any place! Again, I don't claim to know all the specifics for everyone, but we need to all be on the same page if we want to continue to race on a paved track. For what it's worth!! D.

Like I said before, I just wanted to see everyone on the same tire. I agree that the 970 is a more durable tire. The goodyear is even more durable yet. I have a feeling that the F53 was chosen because the majority of the TSRS folks didn't like the idea of going back to a "treaded" tire.

I think the Gurals are in favor of the 970. If more of the TSRS drivers would give it a thumbs up, we could all be on that tire.

I wish I understood the dynamics of the contractual obligations that are keeping all the tracks from being on the same tire. As much as I hate to say it, if the goodyear is so much better than both of the hoosier options, shouldn't we all be on that tire despite the fact that it's slower?

slower tire is sometimes better, might get back to two wide racing and not playing follow the leader or watching a wreck fest

Some of the better financed teams will raise concerns about going to the Goodyears because they know that they can't use the tire rule to their advantage any longer with tires that retain their handling characteristics over many heat cycles.

We saw the same thing when SAS went to a "one tire a week rule." Suddenly everyone was on equal, or nearly equal, tires and the competition heated up a bit. Teams that never considered themselves as contenders due to having to run on cast offs while the front runners ran on new F-53s were suddenly seeing themselves as on more equal footing.

I know that tracks have arrangements with tire dealers and those ties sometimes run all the way to the track's bottom line, but if there ever was a time when racing in Texas needed a tire like the treaded Goodyear, it's now...

Nick

If in fact the Goodyear is a "slower" tire, I also don't think anyone would care. Seems to me that everyone is more concerned right now with the fact that the Goodyear tire is more durable tire (more life = more laps) and less expensive if even only a few dollars. Plus the trucks and modifieds are already on it. Like Rusty said, getting 600+ laps on left side tires is remarkable. That sure would help out many of us on expenses! Just a thought. D.

slower tire is sometimes better

If I go any slower, I'll be stopped.

I vote for the Good Year 1st and then the 970. I've never raced F53s but I saw how quick they go at SAS. Nick and whom ever it was earlier is right. Wins will be dictated by who buys $500 + of new rubber that week.

If in fact the Goodyear is a "slower" tire, I also don't think anyone would care. Seems to me that everyone is more concerned right now with the fact that the Goodyear tire is more durable tire (more life = more laps) and less expensive if even only a few dollars. Plus the trucks and modifieds are already on it. Like Rusty said, getting 600+ laps on left side tires is remarkable. That sure would help out many of us on expenses! Just a thought. D.

I think I read somewhere that the cost on the goodyears is 100 per tire. If that's the case, a racer would save $100 per set over the F53. Pretty significant.

So the discount on one tire would pay for the mounting and 2 gallons of fuel. Nice.

I will have to admit when I first saw the goodyear tire in action at hmp I was dreading it, but after some races I noticed the expense to go race was much less and I would actually leave the race track with wads of cash left over from my check, sometimes enough dough to make it back again. The adjustments needed to run the goodyear only took one night of practice and minimal chassis set-up changes. The good thing is there will still be people that think they need tires after 100 laps and take-offs will be at a premuim. I grabbed a take-off laying at the tire shop put it on my right front and won with it--these are a very good economical tire and I think TSRS would provide alot of take-offs so that the lower classes wouldnt even have to buy tires especially with the tsrs car count being so high these days. I only plan on buying 1 1/2 sets of tires to run 14-16 races this year.jmo

From what I've read so far I would vote for the Goodyears. Over a years racing that would add up to some savings. Hopefully we get some teams down here to run some good hard tests on the different tires. I would like to also say that would be a big step in the right direction for the asphalt tracks to get closer in line with one another.

Archived