THR not having TSRS Series in 2004

TGural

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this decision was stupid. Taking TSRS off the schedule at THR is the dumbest thing THR could've done. We used to race THR every week we could the since 1999. When MaryAnn came out with the TSRS, we were excited, because there was finally a traveling series that we could race in, while still being able to race at our home track. At the beginning of the year, before the season started, MaryAnn encouraged TSRS drivers to race at their local tracks when TSRS had an off week. I don't think I will go back to THR to support a track that tries to sabotage the series I am associated with. Just my 02 cents worth.

Tim

:unsure: WOW, guess that happens when you don't check your email and this website. Ladies and gentlemen, I am still adjusting to the shock. As a former sponsor of cars in both TSRS and THR, I don't know why it has come to this. I wish THR the best, however, I guess I won't be spending any of my money next year at THR.

What a blow to this area's racing community :(

Christy

Mitchellracer

Figured I’d weigh in on this topic…

TSRS is arguably the most competitive, professionally run and racer friendly series in the state. If nothing else, it’s certainly the most entertaining show in Texas racing. One could even argue that TSRS is the biggest thing to hit Texas racing since TMS!

And THR is choosing to not be part of it? That is not right.

I just cannot understand how one could conclude that by excluding TSRS from the 2004 schedule the local LM car counts will increase. I just don’t get this point of view. Does anybody seriously expect the outcome of this decision to be an increase THR LM car count? Does any reasonable person expect the overwhelming response to be – “Oh No! –I guess we’ll just run THR then.” I think not, moreover, I expect the response will be “Oh Well… Maybe next year…”.

I for one want to run against the best competition I can. Right now, and for what we are racing, that place is TSRS. I know my team feels the same way and I’ll bet most if not all of the TSRS regulars feel the same way too.

Based on the little factual data I have it is my belief that this decision is based solely on emotion resulting from the misconception that TSRS is the root cause for dwindling LM car counts at THR. It’s something that has been discussed on this forum before and like I said then everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion it’s just not one that I share. It’s really just a same that it’s come to this because it’s a decision whereby everyone is a looser; the track, the racers, the crews, TSRS and most importantly the fans.

Brian Calloway has done a lot for racing in this state and I was very disappointed to hear of this decision. Personally I think it’s a bad decision and hope that Brian would reconsider. But either way, I have great memories of my times at THR and I still wish Brian and the entire staff at THR (as well as all the teams that run THR on a weekly basis) the best of luck in 2004.

Maybe next year…

Wow this is to bad...But in my opinion I do not see how this is going to help THR.

First, A weekly show at any track is only going to attract the majoriy of thier fans/clients from their local market. Take a look at the Houston guy's that used to travel to THR to race. How many fans did they have that traveled to watch them race. A very small amount at best and that was only occassionaly.

Second, Do you remember the business difinition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" Not going to happen! As with any business you must continue to improve your product and offer more to your clients. If you don't someone else will (TSRS). And in today's economic climate you cannot afford to do nothing. Lets use a perfect example of a business that is similar to THR. An Amusment Park, both offer little less than a memory or a keepsake once you leave thier facility. how many Amusement Parks are out there today that offer the same rides and shows that they did five or ten years ago. None!!! For them to stay competitive and continue to keep their gates open they must constantly add to what the have to offer. Best part of the whole thing is they continue to raise thier ticket prices year over year and people still continue to go. It's simple.....They have to spend money to make money.

So with that said......I for one do not see in anyway how cutting TSRS from THR is going to improve thier state of business.

But ilke i said this is just my opinion.

Slash

As a racing fan anytime a promoter bans a successful series for whatever reason I feel is totally stupid. I went to all of the Romco/TSRS/Tams races this year. I cant beleive that as a promoter you wouldnt want more of these types of races at your facility. Not only was the stands were packed but also the pits were packed. I do recall both facilities ran out of a lot of food and beverages to serve. To me that just makes sense that you would want more of these types of races at your track. I dont know what the bottom line was and whether or not they were able to make money, but how could they not have made money. If for whatever reason you didnt that just shows that you have the possibilty to attracted the fans then all you have to do is work on ways to improve your profit margins. I think every racer and fan would go back to the tracks again to watch the races. It makes no sense to me if you push the racers away they will not run your facility. This has been demonstrated time and time again.

Tim

I don't think I will go back to THR to support a track that tries to sabotage the series I am associated with.

I really dont think that THR is trying to sabotage anything. They are just looking at the different possibilities for themselves.

If nothing else, it’s certainly the most entertaining show in Texas racing.

LATEMODEL04

I think that i have to agree with racing. I have seen 3 or 4 of the TSRS races this year and I think that they have been a waste of time and wear and tear on the cars. All the races that I have been to and heard about have been primarily YELLOW flag laps. I just really don't see any excitement in watching RACECARS going in circles under a yellow. Now on the other hand, if they were actually RACING it would be a little bit more exciting.

But thats just my thoughts.

Krissy

I haven't heard the quality of the TSRS shows, being the reason this business decision was made to not have TSRS back at THR. Agree there have been some awful long caution nights at a few of the races, and that needs to be corrected. Please let us know if you know different.

The main reason we have heard, was the late model car count needed to be improved. Unfortunately, I'm afraid this may be causing the opposite affect that was intended. Brad's comments are great for saying how a good portion of the TSRS folks feel right now. After removing TSRS from THR, the main question would be...

Are there any TSRS drivers or any late model cars out there, who haven't already been running at THR weekly shows this past year, that will now start running THR on a regular basis?

oh by the way.....if TSRS can get enough sponsors to put on a race at houston..then why can't they help out other local tracks (THR, SAS, CC) and get sponsors to run those races there instead of having the track pay for there purse. Sponsors are what pay the purse for TSRS at Houston.

racing, is that fact or fiction? That's very interesting.

I know that most tracks(pavement and dirt) have to pay for the touring series events to show up, which is probably one of the reasons that SAS and Romco decided to go with their lease deal. I don't know the exact figures and wouldn't repeat them if I did. But if a track has to pay out more than it takes in, then it has to make a "business" decision. Sure fanwise tracks do well for the tripleheader events, but how much does it pay out ahead of time to get them all to show up? Who gets pit pass money? Concessions? What about single series shows? If you take all these variables into consideration, does a track really make money or lose money? If the tracks come out on the losing end more times than the other, it only makes sense.

Now since all the facts aren't in, I'm not going to take sides on this issue. But I have said this before, I am concerned that ALL these touring series are going to hurt weekly racing since there just isn't enough cars to go around.

Here's some numbers I worked up just for yucks! The touring series(all five) make up about 40% of the cars that race regularly. Yet that 40% probably have about 75-80% of the sponsorship money available. No I'm sure some genius will come along a point out the blatently obvious, that ROMCO costs far to run than a CC Bomber. But conversely I'm sure running an SAS Late Model costs more for a season than any one the other four touring series on a limited schedule. Who's fault is that? I don't have an answer! What is the point? My point being if the weekly racer can't get sponsor money, they can't field a car. If you can't get cars at the lower end of the spectrum, that can move up and fill the voids left by guys going to touring series, your car counts are going to suffer.

oh by the way.....if TSRS can get enough sponsors to put on a race at houston..
the space city 125 sponsors were rounded up by brad hudak and company, not tsrs. i may be mistaken, but from what brad told me, he lined those up, most were the same from last years space city 125. tsrs did a fine job of lining up sponsors for the tsrs point fund and purse.

big john

svcmgr, i will see you at the banquet, and i have some words for you.

:blink: What went wrong? I have mixed feelings on this. Something is driving this that we may never understand totally. I received a call from Jim Lynch as well. He was very business like with his conversation. At no point was TSRS ever degraded. Good luck to all involved! :blink: Racerpete, you put it well when you said you felt like a 5 year old in the middle of a divorce. :blink:

[Comments edited out by Nick Holt, 11/6/03] racing, why dont you put your name on here-if you were into racing, you would of known of the time and effort Mr. Hudak went to ,to get sponsors for the Space City race in Houston for the TSRS-so unless you know what your talking about besides taking bits and pieces of what you hear to get your facts[Comment edited out by Nick Holt, 11/6/03] my name's Tommy Freeman/owner Freeman Motorsports/owner #42 AllStar Race Truck -so lets see a name to back up your post. -We all know you are new on here-by the way-if I spelled something wrong-correct me like you did in another post Professor Racing- :D

llllleeeeeeetttttttssssssssss get ready to rrrrrrruuuuuuuuummmmmmmmbbbbbbbbbllllllllleeeeeee

It is good to see so many people passionate about racing. im pretty sure most of you know where to find me, and if ya dont just look for the party with the free beer sign, im there.

big john

Archived