Romco @ Oktoberfast

HoosierDaddy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol budweiser8, good one :lol: Best three cars in that race where gonna be the 8,96 and 57 had Kelly not broke and the Brandon/Greg deal not happened.

[Comment edited out by Nick Holt, 10/22/03]

Hope everybody has a good race in Houston and the top four in points can battle it out at the end.

I took tonight off to enjoy some quality time with the family and look what happens.

I am going back through this thread, post by post, to remove the bashes, almost bashes and rude behavior.

Then I am going to reopen this thread because of the great graphic Jason has posted and some of the more enlightening posts made regarding this very controversial incident.

Thanks for your undrestanding.

Nick Holt

I haven't seen this much editing since the Watergate transcripts. You still got an eraser left on your pencil Nick? LOL I for one can't wait for the Houston race to see how all of this shakes out. :lol:

SVCMNGR1,

The Watergate transcripts were a piece of cake compared to the "Turn-One-Gate" thread here on TSZ. It started out shaky, but looked like it might be OK once everyone had a chance to share the facts from their perspective... and especially after Jason figured out a way to post a video clip of the incident.

But about the time I figured things had settled down, the wife and I went out for dinner and a movie. Big mistake.

Anyway, I deleted one of my own posts and edited another along with the rest so no one should feel like the Lone Ranger if they were edited.

Nick Holt

A very interesting thread, indeed.

A few observations/comments--

1. The ONLY people who really know what happened between Brandon and Greg are Brandon and Greg. Everyone else on here (including me) can give only their opinion. And whether you like this statement or not, the 3rd best seat in the house to witness it was Joe Aramendia, and the 4th was Bandit.

2. (an edited out statement made) I consider myself to be good friends with both drivers involved. If either one of them made a "I'm gonna take so and so out" statement, it was what I call the heat of the moment. It would amaze the average fan out there how different a conversation a driver can have while he is eating a sandwich verses when he's just been put in the wall. Both of the drivers I crew for have completely different personalities depending on what is going on. I don't take what they say personaly or worry about a comment, because it is the heat of the moment. Take someone out? I doubt it. Brandon and Greg are above that kind of talk, so it is very unfair to try to pin a comment like that on either one of them.

3. So Bandit is friends with Greg. He's friends with Brandon also. What difference does his friendship with someone make when he states an opinion on this board. Remember, Greg and Bandit had a big-time moment at Kyle year or two ago. For about 5 minutes, they called each other every name in the book. Then cooler heads prevailed, they got over it, and were just fine pitting next to one another at the next race. Did the crews get involved in it, either at the track, or on this board? Absolutely not. The drivers are adults, and they can mend their fences without us.

4. Fast lap of the race. The only thing fast lap of the race does is give one racer something to brag about on one particular night. It means nothing since it is usually set in the first couple of laps. If you want fast race lap, fine, take it. I and most winning racers are more worried about race laps when the tires are hot and worn. If you were a 1/4 second faster on your fast race lap, but a 1/2 second slower at halfway, what did you gain by setting fast race lap? Not much in a winning racers' book. And fast race lap or out qualifying the field by a 1/4 second don't mean squat once you got 20 laps on those tires.

Let's see, Bandit was 2/10ths off brandon's qualifying lap. If you think that the times stay consistent throughout the race, to where Bandit would have been lapped, You really don't know a whole lot about racing, do you?

Bottom line, To finish first, first you gotta finish. Bandit did that, 3 times this year. By the way, in three years of racing ROMCO, he is tied for 3rd on the all-time winners list. He must know something about this stuff, and he doesn't worry about who was faster for one lap.

Again, just my comments/observations.

yellowflag -- I almost deleted your last post in which you clearly are trying to bash Bandit. But I see where txtom and others, including Bandit, have responded in an intelligent manner, presenting information that is based on facts tempered by years of successful racing experience.

txtom -- I really appreciate your taking the time to write such well-thought-out posts. Your maturity and insight into the sport is applauded.

Bandit -- Having one of the top ROMCO drivers post here on a regular basis really adds a lot to Texas Speed Zone. Your willingness to get involved is appreciated by the vast majority of our members. Keep up the great work and good luck at Houston this weekend.

Nick Holt

Hey everyone,

I told myself "self, don't get involved in this", but I can't keep quiet any longer. I know both of these drivers well. Anytime you have drivers as competetive as we do in this series, especially the ones ya'll are discussing here, there is going to different opions about everything that happens between them on and off the track. I will never think either one of them would take the other one out on purpose. Both of them and everyone else knows that when that happens, nine times out of ten you're going with them. Besides They both know in this series EVERYONE INVOLED IS GOING TO THE BACK. Plus if I or any other Romco offical belives it is intentional, someone is going to the trailer.

Any one who has been involved in a championship battles, either makes mistakes or does something they wish they had not done. I really belive both of them think that right now.

I want to wish everyone in this and every other class this weekend lots of luck and let's come out this with all the fenders still on afterwards. YEA RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry

This was a racing accident.

They were both goin for the same spot on the track.

But i do have to say that if Brandon was to low on the track, then I ran the entire race wrong, b/c I put my car below the yellow line going into turn one. I was decently fast in qualifying and during the race.

Going for the lead Brandon wasn't far enough up beside him. But Greg should of given more room. I think they just wanted to make for an interesting race at HOUSTON.

well yea bandit was fast enough to win, all the other top 5 cars got took out or had some other kind of problem

Bud8 seems to to have some kind of personal issue with Bandit's win. That is fine, nothing the team can do about it, and nothing they will worry about.

I find it interesting that you seem to feel Bandit backed into the win. In looking at the race results, I notice all the lead lap finishers are ROMCO feature winners. And 7 of the top ten. While 8, 96, 57, and 50 weren't in the hunt at the finish, a whole group of equally talented drivers were, and Bandit was the first to the stripe on this night.

Remember, to finish first, first you gotta finish.

Last Saturday night, I'd rather had Bandit's 18.5 car than a 18.3 or .4 car that was sitting in the pits when the checkered flag waved.

To Nick, You're welcome, I like to think I have something to contribute from my 30 or so years of racing. And yeah, I can have fun here also, Just ask Big John. You can have fun needling each other without getting personal.

Its hard to add tp this post with out Nick getting on me again for bashing,but I will say races are not one one the first lap.To press such a pass so early in the race was foolish.Bandit ran a great race like he usally does useing his laid back patience and skill.Brandon and Greg are neck in neck in the points battle,many championships are lost by impatiet "win on the first lap" drivers.Im sure he will go at it again in Houston just like he did in SA........and give the championship away!

Archived