More Photos from Speed-O-Rama/Hwy. 16

MonaB

OK Guys, Here's a trick question. Does anyone have the Google map of the old Austin Track location? I used to go there back in the early 60s with friends that raced there. Probably a senior thing but I could not drive to the site today. Or maybe an intersection? I would like to look at the sattelite (sp) map to see if I can pick out anything. I don't even remember the highway it was on as I haven't been back in years.

TIA,

Jim

It looks like Leroy Farmer standing in the middle.

Okay, you got them. It's David Trooper, Leroy Farmer and Don Credempski having a race session on the front straight away. This is one of my favorite pictures. It looks to me like Don is saying, "He did WHAT"!!!

22 is Jimmy Finger, could 12 be Bobby Allison in a Speed O Rama appareance?

You are right! No idea who the guys are?

I've copied over 60 pictures now and I'm going to have to resize them before I send any more. So, there will be more coming. I've got several of the dirvers by their cars.

WhoWon.com had a results article for may 26, 2000 under the new name Bad Boyz Speed-O-Rama. just went to check an the aricle link is still there but when you click on it it seems to not be there. :(

After careful study and research:

Pictured on the left appears to be David Trueper (once a co-operator of Longhorn Speedway with Alvin Stewart). In the center is Leroy Farmer and Don Chrudimski on the right for sure.

The #22 Vita Fresh Camaro shot was taken during a Texas Race of Champions event at Texas World Speedway. I am sure the car was driven by Jimmy "Fireball" Finger of Austin.

#12 picture was taken from outside of turn #1 at Austin Speed-O-Rama aka Longhorn Speedway. I don't think the car was being driven by Bobby Allison. To my knowledge, Bobby's races in Texas were only at Meyer Speedway, Houston, Texas World Speedway NASCAR, USAC, ARCA and Texas Race of Champions events.

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director - TROC at TWS

Former track announcer, Austin Speed-O-Rama and Longhorn Speedway

sometime around june/july of 99 was the last race. bad boys was a gimic that never got off the ground , it never saw a race night under that name,,,,thank god.

the car counts were still pretty good. i ran THR on saturdays and sometimes longhorn on fridays , while my grand father kept loyal to longhorn and ran every race until it closed. longhorn for awhile had alot better car counts but no crowd. the first year THR opened longhorn had 20 cars(super stocks) on a saturday with no crowd while THR had 3-5 cars but a thousand people in the stands. and the bad deal on that was ron chambers (operator of longhorn at the time) was letting drivers with cars in for free,,,so he was not making up the losses at the back gate. but longhorn had the loyalty of the drivers with or without free pit passes.

When Ronald opened it mid season 99 I raced every friday night. I would change gears saturday morning and go to THR if I did't have too much else to do to the car. 2000 season I took off to help Brandon Leonard run the new pure stock class. I would take the car to Longhorn evry friday night and THR every saturday. I would have never thought when it closed mid season that would be it. I wish the new owners would do something with it.

That was a fun year racing Fri. at Longhorn and Sat. at Thr. even though we were one of the slow cars,sorry about that back bumper Mickey.The only night we missed racing on Fri. at Longhorn I remeber Ron calling to see if the car was broke or what,it was a family birthday out of town,but at least he called.We were back the next Fri.

Archived