Modifieds Returning to CCS

Rick Day

Calling ALL Modifieds, We want to run the Modifieds at Corpus Christi Speedway on the Labor Day Weekend either Sept 1 or 2. We want to invite all modifieds (USRA, TAMS, PRO, Sport Mods and Reg. Mods) for an exciting weekend of racing. If you want to race we have the place for you.

Please Contact Rick Day at 210-845-6764 and let us know if you can make it. We are working on a purse and sponsorship for the race now.

So everyone lets get them fire breathing cars ready to tackle the fastest quarter mile oval in South Texas.

RICK,with all respect to you.dont feel many cars will try it out.NO SMOKERS,NO PETS,NO BEER,NO PAYOUT,at least not yet,will mean no cars!.and the ARROGENCE of dealing with two that dont have a clue about whats going on.if you and crew run the show i feel there is a chance.but not if those two keep posting and try to run the track.like anything in life,you gotta know what your talking about and back it up.and lies in the racing world travel quickly.....think they should know that.i support what you are trying to do.just wish the racers could see that you and crew are runnig it.......frank t

It would be awesome to see the mod's run at C.C.Speedway.Hope something can be worked out to have them come run.It would be a awesome night if they did having the local classes and the mod's.

Frank,

I'm sure the new owners have made mistakes - just as I make mistakes and just as you make mistakes whenever we begin to learn a new skill set. Hopefully, as Shelma and James gain experience some of the these early glitches will be eliminated.

Look at it this way, someone stepped up and saved CC from closing. If you don't think it was about to close, think again. I applaud them for their efforts to keep CC Speedway from shutting down.

Does everyone agree with some of their decisions? Obviously not. But until you and I hit the lottery and put up a dream facility, we all need to work together with both CC tracks to make this thing work.

Nick

Frank,

First let me say you and Joe did a very good job at I37 and I wish you guys were still running it. I think you are being a little harsh on J&S. When you guys left I37, it was running much smoother than it did the first couple of weeks you ran it. That is because you worked very hard and learned from decisions you made and then made better decisions as time went on. J&S have already learned from some decisions they made and have already started making better ones.

The payout is now done after the races. Great change for everybody. Running a race track is a very difficult business. Until you have some experience it is easy to "say" how everything should be done but that is not always the right way to do it. I have never raced at CC Speedway but I am thankful J&S took it over because now it will stay open and maybe I will get a chance to race there. Give them a chance Frank because you improved a lot as you went along also. Maybe they will change the beer rule back next and I can buy you a beer after the races :D . I hope you get back with a track soon Frank and good luck.

Good luck in drawing the modifieds away from STS without something like $1000 to win and a better payout than a $30 gas card.Personally I'd like to see a big Pure Stock race with say a $2000 to win and a $100 to start kind of purse.There are probably more of those kind of cars than anything else and CC Speedway is the perfect kind of track for that class.These guys can race lap after lap side by side(at least they did in the past) and sometimes 3 wide. Usually with the mods it's follow the leader.I would think 20 mods would be the most you could get where you could get 50 or 60 pures if the payout was good and quick.Just a thought.

NICK,i hear ya.but will they?thats why you get a good staff and let them run it.and you dont act like you hit the lottery,then fail to take care of those that have just taken care of you.i raced there a couple of years back because the promotor at the time asked for our support.same reason he is doing well now.many times we will be primed to go somewhere else,but to this day he still ask racers for there support and thanks them for it.i am one to support both tracks.but i am very high on a racer being told things straight up.you have well seen my respect towards RICK D.and Debbie W.because they know and love the sport.i am not saying the new owners will not get it together,but a straight unarrogent answer will be required.in that town the racers have a choice.and even if they did not,many will just park there rides....how many promotors have you and i seen go thru s.a,?bet even you have forgot some of them......frank t

I have many friends who race top modifieds and I can tell you a dirt modified can be set up to run any track with a couple of nites.The problem was always the tire deal,even with more horsepower,a G20 car cannot run with a slick car.This is the complaint I heard most.Couple that with so many tracks wanting them,a late season show will be difilcult but not impossible.The tire deal needs to be fixed,

In my opinion,CC can best serve itself by starting with the existing classes.They have proven to be a strong set of cars but needs a good promoting to get back where it needs to be.This track really produces great racing with the cars that run now.Plenty of action,lots of racing,lots of excitment.And the fans relate to these cars.They say"I can do that"Whats needed are lots of cars.You cant get a better race than 25 Thunders,Bombers or Super Streets.Start the fastest cars(highest point averages)in the back and give them enough laps to get to the front.A little pushing and shoving and they are up front again.Rather than blowing tons of money on hi dollar cars with low car counts and follow the leader races,put that money in the cars that run every week.You invest in your own future that way.

Question-what would a good promoter do to fatten up the car count if he or she decided to do so????These are YOUR cars.Just curious.An enduro might be a good idea too.And more money for Thunders :)

gb the classes could use more money .but it has to be spread down more ..if you pay only at the top three or four .what incentive does it give old and new teams to build a car ..that has been one of many problems with racen in general ..$300 to $400 . for first ..and really nothing after fourth .... it cost the little guy to race aswell as the big teams ..yep you can say the big teams spend more money .that is true .they have it or get it somehow ....the little guy who doesnt have much chance in winning .but maybe that exstra $25 TO $50 .MAY HELP THEM ADD SOMETHING THEY MAY NEED TO GET UP FURTHER IN THE FIELD ..note other than a couple of features .you have won them all and most of the money ..you have raced along time ..maybe you could move up lol ...nah that wont happen id miss you ..... the new track owners have bought into a low car count . who's fault is that ..they need a set of rules and a purse and get the trust of the drivers old and new .which hasnt worked out yet at this moment ..two weeks isnt very long ..now with the pay problem going to be fixed .that may help some ..pits and yes beer after the races .may come along later .but that shouldnt be a reason why you wont race there ..right now alot of poeple dont have much if any faith in j'& s ... but they have vision .... rick day and deb .have what it takes to help lead them in the correct direction .aslong as J & S wants thier help ..and tho i may be skeptical .. i am going to stay to see what happens .....my note to J&s ..the worst thing you can do is forget the locals ... there are some cars sitting not racen ..you maynot get them this year .its almost to late .. but have meeting s and listen really listen to them ..just may pan out ..this track has servived worst . and it can servive now ..traveling searies are great ..but ..this city has two great race tracks for fans to injoy ..3 hundred plus thousand ..poeple . work together do it right and make cc . and sts a place poeple want to go see racen at ..

I have many friends who race top modifieds and I can tell you a dirt modified can be set up to run any track with a couple of nites.The problem was always the tire deal,even with more horsepower,a G20 car cannot run with a slick car.This is the complaint I heard most.Couple that with so many tracks wanting them,a late season show will be difilcult but not impossible.The tire deal needs to be fixed,

In my opinion,CC can best serve itself by starting with the existing classes.They have proven to be a strong set of cars but needs a good promoting to get back where it needs to be.This track really produces great racing with the cars that run now.Plenty of action,lots of racing,lots of excitment.And the fans relate to these cars.They say"I can do that"Whats needed are lots of cars.You cant get a better race than 25 Thunders,Bombers or Super Streets.Start the fastest cars(highest point averages)in the back and give them enough laps to get to the front.A little pushing and shoving and they are up front again.Rather than blowing tons of money on hi dollar cars with low car counts and follow the leader races,put that money in the cars that run every week.You invest in your own future that way.

Question-what would a good promoter do to fatten up the car count if he or she decided to do so????These are YOUR cars.Just curious.An enduro might be a good idea too.And more money for Thunders :)

i don't give a [edited out by Nick Holt, 8/15/07] what kinda cars you wanna run if you don't pay them and pay them timely cash/check/credit whatever, you aren't going to get any cars other than what you have !!! yeah yeah i know you got paid right ,well for one race anyway :o

I don't have much say so in this matter, but here it goes anyway. This whole deal of not paying the drivers and saying that the check is in the mail really pisses me off. Being deceptive to the drivers is the worst thing a promoter can do, and like a few have already said, first impressions are hard to overturn. I don't know Rick Day, but I have heard a lot of good things about him and in my opinion, he is the one getting screwed here. How does J&S expect him to run a race track with this kind of business practice. Every race I have ever run, the purse has been guaranteed. But then again, just about every race I have ever run was put on by Owen. I guess he has just spoiled us by paying every night whether he makes money or not. I hope you guys get paid!! :angry:

I don't have much say so in this matter, but here it goes anyway. This whole deal of not paying the drivers and saying that the check is in the mail really pisses me off. Being deceptive to the drivers is the worst thing a promoter can do, and like a few have already said, first impressions are hard to overturn. I don't know Rick Day, but I have heard a lot of good things about him and in my opinion, he is the one getting screwed here. How does J&S expect him to run a race track with this kind of business practice. Every race I have ever run, the purse has been guaranteed. But then again, just about every race I have ever run was put on by Owen. I guess he has just spoiled us by paying every night whether he makes money or not. I hope you guys get paid!! :angry:

EASY THERE RILEY ! TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL ...... :(:D

EASY THERE RILEY ! TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL ...... :(:D

now thats funny

you think maybe he was holding back just a little

Oldtimer,your right about how the pay is distributed.Thats why I have to run so hard every week.Up north,even last place pays 50$ for entry level and 75 to 100$ for the expensive cars.Thats why they have so many cars.Even at the Modified Nationals in McAllen last place for the main race pays 1000$.Plus a purse that starts at 500$ every nite for non qualifiers.Thats why its the biggest race each year.At Heart of Texas they pay 1000 to win for 7 or 8 classes and lasdt year thay got 190+ cars of all kinds.

Every car that races is an important part of the show and should get something for it.Would this help car count?I think so.I still think its prudent to harvest your crops before replanting.And for me to change to a car that will take money from my family budget to race is NOT MOVING UP.Its PAYING TO RACE.

I still think the tire deal for modifieds is the most important thing to add dirt cars to asphalt modifieds.At CC Speedway the engine is much less important than grip.

For payout,it will be at the track after the race at the track.The 11th has been paid.Does someone know for a fact the 4th will not be paid?I won almost a weeks salery that nite.3 times more than the dirt track pays on a given nite.Last weeks pay was twice what the dirt track pays so at this point I guess Im even.With the 4th money Im 3 weeks ahead.No redgestration fees,no parking fees,20$ pit pass.Am I getting screwed?

For the boozers,when I raced at Eninburg speedway in the early 70s lots of booze was in the pits.People used soda jackets on the beer cans to hide them.If you could walk a straight line you were not ready to race.The cars were built from drill stem and were not real fast but heavy.When they hit the wall ( built just like CC )they went through it.I saw a man loose his hand in a rollover..At CC Speesway the most dangerous time was after the races.People got boozed up and wrecked cars,4 wheelers and some property damage to the track.Burnouts,doughnuts etc,If I remember right,even at Thunder Hill you could not go from the pits to the stands and back because of booze.And people used to make fun of power steering and automatic transmittions.Even in Houston we all used to go to a place called The Ice House to have a brew and relive the nite.Maybe Corpus has one.Or maybe we can all go to the dirt track and party after the races and compare notes of the nite.

Archived