Tommy Davis Wreck

fastoval

is the 71 my uncle terry woodall? I remember him driving a car that looked like that. he actually made the picture of the car into a clock.

I can remember Davis runnin' a red Camaro, #78 at Pan Am (boy, I hope I got that right). I'll tell you this, he was no push-over.

Guest THRRD

THE 6 CAR TOMMY IS DRIVING IN THIS PICTURE WAS A CAR WALDO HARPER BOUGHT FROM RUSTY WALLACE AY I-70 SPEEDWAY AFTER RUSTY WON AN ASA RACE THERE. WE HAD THE CAR ABOUT A WEEK WHEN TOMMY DESTROYED HIS CAR AT AUSTIN ON A FRIDAY NITE. WALDO MADE A DEAL WITH TOMMY TO HIS ENGINE IN THE CAR AND LET TOMMY DRIVE IT. WE WORKED ALL NITE FRIDAY, GOT THE CAR TO THE TRACK IN SAN ANTONIO, AFTER ABOUT SIX LAPS OF PRACTICE, TOMMY TIMED THE CAR AND KNOCKED 4 TENTHS OF THE TRACK RECORD. THAT WAS ONE WICKED FAST CAR. WHEN WE GOT THE CAR IT WAS NUMBER 66, WE TOOK THE 6 OFF FOR TOMMY.

TERRY BARDEN

is the 71 my uncle terry woodall? I remember him driving a car that looked like that. he actually made the picture of the car into a clock.

Nathan,

That is indeed your Uncle Terry. And that was a brand new car that Tommy was in, after the car Waldo owned. Tommy slowed for a wreck, and was a lane down from the outside. Terry did not get slowed down in time to avoid contact. He tried to go outside Tommy, caught a piece of the wall, and you see the result.

All that info came from Tommy. We email back and forth now and then, and I asked him the particulars. He is doing good in retirement in Boerne.

Thanks Tom. I have ( or should I say had a bunch of pictures ) of the early 80's at s.a. and c.c speedways but in the move from corpus to pleasanton they have been lost. Do you have any pictures of the J.C. Pennys car. I have a friend that wants to use it as a display for a potential sponser proposal. if you could post it that would be great. thanks mark shurbet

Fast,

No, I don't have a pic of the Penny car; If anyone on this forum would know where a pic is, it would be Nick Holt. He hung around with that bunch.

You may have heard reference to the "Dart" car; it is the same. Dart was a combination of the names of some of the team guys. I think one's name was Keith McFarland, but I may be wrong on that.

That car was driven by Ed Sczech before Rapp got in it.

Not a bad looking car, It was a blue close to Ford grabber blue with yellow and white trim.

But ask Nick if he has a pic of it.

I might have one stuck in one of the drawers (or stacks of paperwork) around here...

That was a really nice car. Keith McFarland and crew did a superb job keeping that thing in tip-top shape.

Nick

These two are from 1981 when Ed Sczech ran the car. That's Ed fiddling with the valve that controled the mercury flow..

post-3-1186637390_thumb.jpg

One of several checkereds that car earned...

post-3-1186637437_thumb.jpg

The next three are from 1982 (as I recall) when Rick Rapp was the driver.

post-3-1186637624_thumb.jpg

post-3-1186637763_thumb.jpg

This was the "fun loving" crew... Can you name these guys? I took the pic so I'm missing.

post-3-1186637730_thumb.jpg

Jimmy Vauter (San Antonio Propeller owner) did the paint work. The guy knew what he was doing -- for sure. JV hung around the shop a lot (and kept us all laughing - mostly at ourselves), but when there was spray paint that needed to go on some sheet metal JV was was the man.

His other major claim to fame was the number of "little buddies" he'd go through on any given night at the shop. In those days I could chug my fair share of brew, but JV could drink any of us under the table.

Nick

Cha-Ching~! You and Keith hit the jackpot!

Tell Keith to get signed up on TXSZ or I'll start telling Keith "Skinny" MacFarland stories from the old days.

Actually, a couple of those you listed are not their "real" names.

John Tondre is much better known as "Big John." And Terry Parr is not a name I recognize at all - we all know him as "Bigfoot." Missing in photo is "JV" Jimmy Vauter. And never mind what my nickname was... LOL

Nick

Why did they change the way the windshield wrapped around the front of the car beyond the front pillar... That looks pretty cool...Was it a rules issue?

That was originally done to give better visibility in the corner. You only had the roll bar to look around.

For whatever reason, rules makers decided that you had to have the "A" pillar as part of the body.

We put in the A pillars, and even tried to run clear ones that helped visibility. But they outlawed those, too.

Your best guess as to why it made any difference.

I chalk it up to the "we need more rules" mentality prevalent in (all forms of) racing today.

You hit the nail on the head about the wrap around windshied, Tom.

Rick would be glancing at the back straight while going down the front straight. And you could see him looking at the exit to turn 2 as he entered turn 1. He always claimed that one of the keys to successful driving was the ability to look WAY ahead and anticipate where the car needed to be well in advance.

Nick

zoom, I know where you live, buddy...

And as I said, never mind what my nickname was in those long-forgotten days of yesteryear when men were men, and women were women, and trees were trees, and stuff like that.

I have a bad feeling, though, that Keith "Skinny" MacFarland may get on here and spill the beans. But if he knows what's good for him, he won't, because I have a few "Skinny" stories ready in case he gets brave or has one too many "good buddies" or something......LOL

Nick

I have a bad feeling, though, that Keith "Skinny" MacFarland may get on here and spill the beans. But if he knows what's good for him, he won't, because I have a few "Skinny" stories ready in case he gets brave or has one too many "good buddies" or something......LOL

And there others still who know the stories from an unbiased view................................

In other words, the real story................

Archived