Who is on the car

Nathan

ok all I know that the 42 car is my grandpa (Buddy woodall). Who is on the car? frank could not remember who it was and grandpa past before we found the picture.

post-3641-1183376890_thumb.jpg

Nathan,

Do you know if this is 1976?

If so, I would call it Bubba Storbeck. In '76, he ran a red and white paint scheme that looked much like this one, and it had black door numbers that only went halfway down the door. It would have been #55, and like the pic shows, the numbers would have stopped at the rub rail.

Also, if it is 1976, it is early in the season; Ricci Ware only ran a few nights at Austin before calling off the rest of the season. Lack of cars and fans.

I know it is not 1977 or 78; Storbeck and Bean did not run in those years, and #5 was Lucian Wallace in a black top over white side camaro, and red numbers.

In 76, Pan American ran a full schedule, and Storbeck won the championship, with Harold Oatman as crew chief.

The last night of the season, John Foster came over from Odessa and, after Storbeck crashed, had no one to run with him.

This was also the last season before Ware mandated the stock heads and 2 barrels.

i blanked out......i meant buddy yantis , but all i could thing of was bobby's grandad.

Alright I made mom sit down and we went though some of our albums. She believes it is Buddy Yantis and around 1975. We also remember Frank mentioned buddy. so maybe that is who it is.

Doesn't look like the correct paint job to be Yantis. Here is a pic of Yantis during that time, a mostyly white and orange car with gold trim. This pic of Yantis is basically how all his cars in the 70's looked.

The car in the original pic is solid colored on the sides, and I never saw Yantis in a car painted like that one.

post-21-1183471860_thumb.jpg

I tend to agree with you. We know that grandpa went to dirt in 1977 with the same car but there is a gap in our photo albums between 1974 - 1976. Mom also said that she didn't remember Bubba Storback running a 55. do you have anymore pics of this car other car to show her. then again she said that she didn't remember harold oatman being a crew cheif. :blink: but I tend to agree that it is not Yantis. The onlyother name I found running a 55 was Jim or Gerald McCall.

Thank you Nick for fixing my minor brain short in the title :)

Nathan,

I thought I had a pic of Storbeck's 1976 car, but If I do, I can't find it.

But Storbeck was always #55, at least in the cars I saw him in. Here is a link to a chevelle he drove:

Storbeck

Below are a couple pics. The first is from the collection of Craig Schmidt, the second from Ja Lane.

The first is a Harold Oatman car. Harold always ran #50. Anyway, the 1976 Storbeck is basically the same paint scheme as this Oatman car, colors and all. Notice the door numbers on this car. Storbeck's car has similar numbers, only halfway down the door, and his were centered on the door, not at the back like Oatman's.

The second is a shot of a very young Ja Lane riding with Bubba at Pan American in 1976. Here you can see the top of Bubba's door numbers. They only go down to the rub rail. The car itself is white over red, like the Oatman car.I thought previously they were black, but may have been silver or grey, I don't remember. This is the car I think is in your original pic with Buddy Woodall.

post-21-1183505919_thumb.jpg

post-21-1183505933_thumb.jpg

I do tend to believe you! I think I found why my mom didn't think it was right. Here is a PAS program from I believe 1973 were it shows Bubba driving 63. so maybe that is were she didn't think it was bubba.

post-3641-1183509320_thumb.jpg

post-3641-1183509352_thumb.jpg

Tom - You are saying what I had been thinking but had yet to post, that it is probably Bubba, driving Harolds car, as Harold was transitioning away from driving. There is another picture of this car in the archives, freshly constructed, without the fender flares. I was no longer on Harold's crew during this time frame as I headed off to college in '73, so I am not definitive on this, but perhaps Oatey can comment.

And yes, Bubba did run number 55 whenever possible. Trivia question - Does anyone remember who ran it before him, and why?

(Edit) Another possibility - I was just looking at the program above and noticed the name Robert Beardslee, number 05. Don't know why I didn't snap to this earlier - Robert was a relative of Harold's, and was driving his original Camaro (the one from the 71-72 season) while Harold was trying to get his Chevelle to work. I believe the paint scheme from this period matches that shown in the picture. I don't know if this continued into the time for this picture, though.

You are saying what I had been thinking but had yet to post, that it is probably Bubba, driving Harolds car, as Harold was transitioning away from driving

I have been thinking that, that Bubba was driving Harold's car. I am pretty sure it was an Oatman car, but I don't know if it was one that Harold had built for himself. But it sure looks like it could be the same car.

I remember well "Fast, Inc" that Oatman put on all his cars and the ones he built.

as for the 55, I remember Jimmy McCall running it in a torino in the early 70's, and Storbeck had it before that, but don't know any reason for it.

ok got mom to read the entire thread and she finally agrees that it could be (is) Bubba. thank you all for your help. I will try to scan more pictures later.. :D

Archived