GORDON/JOHNSON PENALTIES

ratdaddy

Gordon & Johnson each got docked 100 points, crew chiefs suspended for 6 races, probation till December 31, 2007 $100,000. fines for crew chiefs and 100 car owner points for Hendrick & Gordon.

www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/06/26/jgordon.jjohnson.penalties/index.html[/url]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like Cup teams are just going to have to cover their tracks better in the future. They got away with the traction control sensors for years before NASCAR found out what was going on. I guess this generation of engineers needs to get a bit more devious like us old farts..... LOL

Nick

You guys may scoff at this but,they are going to have a scanner one day,that allows you to roll the car through it,and it gives the inspectors every exact measurement on the car in seconds.So I guess the teams will have to resort to robotic assemblers in the shop,in order to avoid any miniscule mistakes. <_<

Sounds like Cup teams are just going to have to cover their tracks better in the future. They got away with the traction control sensors for years before NASCAR found out what was going on. I guess this generation of engineers needs to get a bit more devious like us old farts..... LOL

Nick

Now Nick,

Would you care to tell us all you know about traction control and how it works...........................? ;)

if they wanted to send a message, park em for a week and take away all those bonus points. what they got equals to a slap on the wrist.jmo. hendrick will pay their fines anyway.knaus will find another "gray" area. how many times will they let him continue to "massage" the rules. :angry:

I want to know how many times in one year can a Nextel Cup crew chief be busted before he is suspended for the rest of the season or indefinately. They sent Mikey Waltrips crew chief packing... but not Knaus? :angry:

The cars FIT the templates!!!!!NOTHING about that is cheating!!!!!!!NASCAR is trying to to take some momentom away and make this year interesting!!!!The 24 and 48 teams have completely dominated this year and ratings are down.It's all about the money.It want matter one of those two teams will probably win the championship anyway.

They didn't cheat. You can't cheat in practice. They were not caught in post qualifying or post race tech.

Poorboy,your the only one who seems to GET it!!!!!!!!! :D

The cars FIT the templates!!!!!NOTHING about that is cheating!!!!!!!NASCAR is trying to to take some momentom away and make this year interesting!!!!The 24 and 48 teams have completely dominated this year and ratings are down.It's all about the money.It want matter one of those two teams will probably win the championship anyway.

They didn't cheat. You can't cheat in practice. They were not caught in post qualifying or post race tech.

Poorboy,your the only one who seems to GET it!!!!!!!!! :D

I agree. I've been with cars through tech at race tracks that didn't pass and we weren't told we were cheating. They just told us what was out of compliance and how to get it in compliance.

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease! :lol: Funny the other two Hendrick's cars passed along with the rest of the field. Those ARE the cars that FIT the templates!!!!!!!!!

Those are cars that are maintained in different shops. Perhaps they felt it was a risk and decided not to try it. Maybe they didn't know about it. I see no problem with trying to push the limits. If it's not approved, then change it. And it wasn't and they did. I don't even think they should have incurred a penalty for this. Something else maybe, but not for this.

Let's compare these actions. 24 & 48 teams swear they made modifications that were within the rules so they did not "intend" to make modifications that were cheating. These teams do not need to cheat. They are top running cars and they know the hammer will fall if they are caught and they know they will be. The crew chiefs on these teams are way to smart in the big picture racing for this. The 55 car in Daytona put a performance enhancing substance in their intake. The "intended" to cheat. The 8 car put modified brackets on their car. They "intended" to cheat though they stated they tested these brackets in the wind tunnel and forgot to change them but why would you test an illegal part in an expensive wind tunnel unless you intended to use it.

The punishments for 24 & 48 were more severe than the other 2 incidents and the proof of "Intent" has not been proven. I feel strongly that this is Nascar's way of reeling back the Hendricks teams a bit and showing that it's their playground. I hope that Rick Hendrick appeals this action as I feel strongly that the actions of Nascar were unjust. Let the punishment of parking them for Friday and no Qualifying stand and leave it at that.

In my best Charlie Brown voice, "Good Grief!"

Different shop or not, the other two Hendrick's cars passed. 49 other cars ALL passed, the same inspection.

Intent.......so the fenders in question illegally(so obviously they weren't within the rules) modified themselves(a performance enhancing modification, I might add)?????? Gimme a break. If you don't believe they knew what they were doing, you have to be pretty naive! <_<

Let me repeat......HOW MANY TIMES HAS KNAUS BEEN BUSTED IN THE PAST YEAR...........THREE(3)!!! :angry:

I don't hate winners........just those who cheat to win!!!!

Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules); 20-2.1E (parts or components of the car not previously approved by NASCAR that have been installed or modified to enhance aerodynamic performance will not be permitted); and 20-H (fenders may not be cut or altered except for wheel or tire clearance, which must be approved by the Series Director) of the 2007 NASCAR rule book.

What parts of this are y'all not understanding???

Sections 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4-Q (car, car parts, components and/or equipment used do not conform to NASCAR rules); 20-2.1E (parts or components of the car not previously approved by NASCAR that have been installed or modified to enhance aerodynamic performance will not be permitted); and 20-H (fenders may not be cut or altered except for wheel or tire clearance, which must be approved by the Series Director) of the 2007 NASCAR rule book.

What parts of this are y'all not understanding???

WHAT PART OF THE CAR FIT THE TEMPLATES BEFORE PRACTICE DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!!!!IF NASCAR don't like what the teams did they need to come up with some new templates.If you show up at the local track and run your car through the referee BEFORE practice even starts and it passes your not cheating plain and simple.(HOW CAN YOU BE CHEATING AT PRACTICE ANYWAY)To call someone a cheater because they passed PRE-PRACTICE inspection is completely insane.Maybe it will happen to you one day Reb and we can hear how you explain it!!!!!

Well, if it fits, it should be legal. Any modifications made should be approved by NASCAR? 1. Since the fenders are hand made, the whole thing is modified, and it fit the template, which means it was approved by NASCAR. 2. NASCAR didn't approve of it going through inspection, that is when they should have been allowed to change it and come back through. When else would you have the oppurtunity to have NASCAR approve it. (my opinion is that it was already approved when the template fit, because that is what you base your cars body on). If NAscar doesn't want it MODIFIED, build the bodies and let the teams buy them. That will save the teams tens of thousands of dollars per year. And since the COT is supposed to save teams money, wouldn't that be the thing to do? I have stated it before, and I will state it again, the template is the body rule, it fit, period. That is like in my class, we have a 450 lift cam rule, 300 lift measured at the cam. its pretty specific about that. If I put 1.6 rockers on, it becomes a 488 lift, but it is still 300 at the cam. or if I did a 4/7 swap, it is still 300 at the cam. now if it says no 1.6 rockers, that is an addition to that rule that I wll have to follow. Be specific like you are on the rest of the rules.

Pemberton said(ESPN Interview) the teams were told that the area between the templates should transition well. The rule is vague, give a degree or inches, or don't have a rule.

Dale Junior modified a part that was assigned by NASCAR, not built by the team. He was issued a penalty, but hew allowed to keep his starting position. The part was found during the pre race inspection, after qualifying, on race day.

We are not going to convince haters, but at least look at it as if it were YOUR team doing this and say, IS THIS FAIR? IS THE RULE CLEAR? DID IT FIT THE TEMPLATE?

come on people. Look at it as if you were the driver and crew.

Archived