Some Texas Racing History

Josh42

• 9 months later...

Rodney,

I was browsing back through these old posts, and I found this one about Elliott in a non-Ford.

That #81 I believe is the Simpson/Harwell car out of Georgia. This car has other drivers such as Billy Mcginnis and Buck Simmons drive it also. Bill's ride in this car is probably a rental.

I also think this team in the 70's is where they got the #22 Vita-Fresh car that Jimmy Finger drove. Buck Simmons drove the #22 car about 2 dozen times before they sold it to Texas. He won all but one of the races he ran it it.

wow! interesting question is why is Bill in a non-ford vehicle? I figured he and the gang from Dawsonville were already a Ford family.

They really were a Ford family. I believe Bill also raced in the IROC series. Sometimes you just have to take what you can get. :D:D

Simpson-Harwell was based out of the Atlanta area, and both McGinnis and Simmons were from the North Georgia area, as was Elliott. Elliott had ties to the short track racing through old family friend Jody Ridley.

Speaking of Bill Elliot .................... Whenever I hear his name anymore, I'm reminded of Ricky Turner.

I've never met him, but I HAVE heard him. At the last "TEXAS BIG SHOT" race, Ricky was one of the competitors. Chuck Lacata was doing some on-track interviews. Ricky was way down toward turn 4 in the starting field, too far away to be seen, but you could sure hear him during the interview. Ricky hales from Dawsonville, Georgia. If I had not known better, I'd have sworn it was Bill Elliot. He sounded EXACTLY like Bill! :lol:

Ricky hales from Dawsonville, Georgia. If I had not known better, I'd have sworn it was Bill Elliot. He sounded EXACTLY like Bill!

You'd be surprised at how many people in Georgia sound like that..... ;)

I can say that; my Mom is from Waycross, and she and all her kin over there have that drawl.....

• 4 weeks later...

TxTom - your'e right. Most Georgians have a drawl that's unique to the Southeast. After moving away from San Antonio in '82, I moved to El Paso for awhile. It's there where I first became a Bill Elliott fan. I've been a fan ever since. The way Bill handled himself on and off the track remined me of another soft spoken, lanky individual by the name of Leroy Brooks. For me, it's not hard to see the similarities. Both were the best in their respective classes......

Archived