I HAVE TO SAY

USRA23TRUCK

I AM JUST TYING TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO START, SO HERE IT GOES JAMIE FULLER WHICH I DO CONSIDER A GREAT GUY HES FUNNY, SUPER SMART JUST PLAIN NICE. BUT I HAVE TO SPEAK MY MIND ON TECH ISSUES. FIRST HE WAS GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO QUALIFY MY TRUCK AT A 21.8 SOMETHING {last place} PROBABLY WAS NOT USED TO IT AND DID NOT WANT TO WRECK IT. QUALIFIES HIS LATE MODEL SECOND THE SAME NIGHT, 2 WEEKS LATER SHATTERS THE OLD TRACK RECORD BY 9 TENTHS OF A SECOND IN THE SPORTSMAN CLASS. BY POSTING THIS I DO NOT WANT TO MESS A REALATIONSHIP UP BUT IF THERE IS NO TECH WHY NOT GO FOR ALL THE GUSTO-------THIS IN MY OPINION LOOSES CAR COUNT TO A CERTAIN DEGREE, IS IT JUST ME OR AM I BEING WAY OFF OR WHAT. FIRST I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE AWAY ANYTHING FROM ANY DRIVER ALL I CAN GO BY ARE ACTUAL EVENTS--------COME ON WITH IT START BASHING ME ---LETS GET IT ON. AND IM NOT JUST PICKING ON HIM TRUCK SERIES HAS SEEN A 20.556 IN QUALIFING AND I LIKE ROPER NOT KNOCKING HIM JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT WTF AND OTHER CLASSES AS WELL----DONT BE SCARED TO SAY HOW YOU FEEL---WHEATHER YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE---BRING ----JUST WANT OPEN AND HONEST OPNIONS----YEA IF IT SEEMS LIKE I TRY TO STIR THE POT SO BE IT---SOMETHINGS GOT TO GIVE ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt, if you read the entire story/quote even Jamie admitted that it was probably a timing glitch.

Now as for your tech issue....I personally saw Rick doing some tech on Sportsman cars after qualifying(mainly carbs). I also know as a fact that Nick was asked to do post-race tech and he had a full sheet of things to tech from motors to suspension parts. All the top three passed.

REB, COMING FROM YOU I TAKE IT AS TRUTH, THAT BEING SAID LET ME PLAY THE DEVILS ADVOCATE-------WAS IT A TIMING CLITCH WHEN BRANDON RAN A 17.9 SOEMTHING AND THEY MADE HIM GO BACK OUT OR WHEN ROBERT BARKER RAN A 20.8 SOMETHING WAS THAT A CLITCH ALSO JUST WONDERING HOW MANY CLITCHES IT TAKES TO MAKE A NON CLITCH

I AGREE OVER TECHING CARS HURTS BUT WHEN THEY ARE .5 SECONDS FASTER THAN THE REST OF THE FIELD, THAN THEY SHOULD PAY TO SEE MORE INTERNAL PARTS---MEANING TRACK SHOULD PAY FOR A MOTOR REBUILD ONLY IF THE CAR IS DEEMED LEGAL. THIS WAY THE DRIVER CANNOT SAY IT COST MORE TO REBUILD IT THAN WHAT I WON DQ ME NO THE TRACK CAN SAY HEY WE WILL PAY TO REBUILD IT AS LONG AS YOU ARE LEGAL, IF NOT NO MONEY FOR YOU THEN SEE WHERE THEY STAND. ;)

Matt it is certainly conceivible that other times were incorrect if there were several timing issues.

As for post race tech, Nick's list was very detailed. I didn't keep a copy, but read over it when he showed it to me.

ss99, Jamie broke something and never finished the race, but I'm sure Nick wanted to look it over, too. He even mentioned something about teching guys after they blew up. Lots of inspection holes that way.

what if brandon had ran 3tenths off of his norm instead of below it, could he tell the officials they made a glitch and he should get another lap ? a glitch is a glitch , right?

you have alot of times being put up that are not realistic to the rules you put out.

knowledgable tech would have helped car/truck counts.

no offense to jamie but the 1st lap may have been a glitch , or the 2nd could have been sandbagged.

the score board isn't showing activated time from the stop watch in somebodys hand........jamies time was relayed through the board

How do you not think someone is breaking the rules when there are five or six cars in a pack racing for second place,all the while one car is a half track ahead?

Kind of a trick question....I hope someone gets it. :P

TD,

I carefully inspected all three cars using the following checklist:

Weight

Track Width

Wheelbase

Front Springs

Spring Spacers

Spindles

Steering components

Shocks

Sway bar and Sway bar mounts

Cross member

Upper and lower A-arms

A-arm mounts

Rear springs and rear spring mounts

Lowering blocks

I asked that the teams bring me their front springs, spring spacers and spindles for a close look.

The rest I inspected and measured without asking the teams to remove those components. I lay on my back (in engine water - thanks for pulling those intakes, Rick.. LOL) under all three cars and measured and inspected the stuff that wasn't removed, both front and rear.

If there was something illegal in the suspension/chassis of the top three cars, then I just plain missed it.

TD, I suspect you are referring to the Barker ride when you imply that it must be illegal because it was so fast. I will say this without giving away any secrets. That car was exceptionally well-built with lots of attention paid to suspension and chassis details that all by themselves don't amount to much - but put them all together and it makes a big difference.

As you know, I don't know much about engines/carbs, but I know that Rick had the teams take off their intakes and carbs. He found nothing illegal.

Nick

Only question I have is: How many things can you change between qualifying and the actual race???? There was a whole lot of changes going on in some of the pits. Everyone knows that the qualifying or heat techs aren't near as strengent as the feature techs. The fastest car doesn't always win the feature but it helps to start up front, sometimes.

late model drivers in the Sportsman race??? That's like Chrudimsky in the Grand Stock race..... They can make a car a lot faster. Especially if there is $$ on the line.

Ummmm......did you really think I was referring to the whole Fuller ordeal?

Does anyone in the booth even use a stop watch anymore?

I don't know how the timing works at SAS, but a stopwatch is still used at THR for the local classes (classes without transponders.) There's a lot of room for error doing it that way, but that's all they've got for the moment.

You guys that cry about the engines. If you only knew. I cant speak for what the 44 car of Barker has in his but I can for the 93. An engine built 12 years ago and freshend twice since then. the same engine Vince had in the car for 2 years. 54 lbs. crank, old 4 valve relief TRW heavy pistons, old & out dated heavy ass 5.7 Childs & Alberts rods,.060 bore. It aint this old engine that makes the car fast. Its gear and of course (CORNERING). Stay off the brakes. Leave your foot on the floor longer than you should and put it back on the floor before you should and hope it sticks. It did. But as mentioned maybe the clock had a glitch in my favor. Steve (the scorer) says no, but oh well. I would have loved to have had to pull the heads back off that car again Sat. nite. For those of you wondering what happened to the P.O.S. the damn ignition switch went bad.

I guess now is a good time to thank our sponsor's since the cars getting so much attention. First, thanks to Alamo Body and Paint for footing the bill this season. Couldn't have done it without you. Thanks to Sarah for the awesome graphics and for buying the car in the off season from Vince. Thanks Jamie for the endless hours you spent maintaining the car. Thanks to Jarod Benker for building my shocks and John Benker for putting the 3 link setup in the car. Special thanks to a good friend of mine John Heil for coming out to the track last month and giving us that awesome setup. 3 races, one second place qualifying and one first place qualifying. Wish we could buy some luck in the feature! Thanks to JMAC, Inc (Johnny Sutton), King Bobcat of Texas (Mike Herbert), and Mutz, Co. (Troy Mutz) for the funds and time this season. Thanks to Ervin at Oval Components and Danny at Mission Auto Parts.

Damn that car was fast and legal too......

Aaron Leddy

Archived