• Hubert Bean
    • Terry Labonte
    • George Hagy III
    • John Kelly
    • Other

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hughes and Foster definitely two great racers from the West Texas area.

To elaborate on each, Foster had several great cars built by Dennis Frings, and he had legendary Indianapolis engine builder Donnie Ray Everette build several of his engines for him. Everette engines did not come cheap; and most of his customers ran USAC sprint cars. Foster has been chronicled many times on this forum, and he was just a nice guy to be around. He had his hands in just about anything around midland/Odessa, and he considered a handshake a contract. Every racer lost a friend when John passed a few years back.

Hughes had several cars built by Pete Hamilton, the same one who ran Cup with the Petty's and others. Hamilton relocated to Atlanta, and started building cars. They were exceptionally good cars. We saw Hamilton at SAS a couple times with Hughes.

Hughes got a lot of engines at Carroll's Machine in Amarillo. I'd be interested in knowing if J.D. is still around.

A couple of J.D's cars ended up in the hands of Johnny Gray from Carlsbad, New Mexico. Same Gray who ran some NHRA funny car with the Del Worsham blue team a few years ago. He raced several races at TWS in the TROC series in the 80's.

Your memory is better than mine. I now remember those chassis and engine builders and you are right.

Some personal notes from memory about JD and Foster. A couple of guys that helped me with my street stock and I helped them with their late models would go to JD's shop in Sundown and he would just give them tires and body parts. They were used, but he had new ones and would give them his old stuff.

Once for the Copper World Classic in Phoenix, Foster got us rooms at the Hilton for free. He had a lot of connections and was quite generous with them. Normally we would be lucky to have stayed at a Motel 6 or Super 8. In what was probably my second or maybe 3rd race, it was a July 4th race at Lubbock for semi latel models. John was driving someone else's car and pitted next to us. He won the race and I finished 14th last of the cars still running, which I was thrilled about at the time. His wife got a kick out of me saying that "we'd better load the car up" when I pulled the chain out of my pickup bed because we didn't even have a trailer then.

Johnny Gray was actually from Artesia. I first met him when he came to Lubbock to run a dirt race and we made fun of him for running dirt and he made fun of us for running asphault, but he was a nice guy and good racer. He came down to TWS at our urging and fell in love with the track. By the next TROC he had bought one of JD's cars. I think he finished 2nd or 3rd in his first TROC.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill White against Beaver Stelzig,or any of the others mentioned above,in a match race at San Antonio speedway?I really can't see that.I'd be willing to bet after the venture Paul White had at SAS,he would agree that it might be a stretch.You never know though,some people have taken to that track instantly while others struggled for years.

Bill White against Beaver Stelzig,or any of the others mentioned above,in a match race at San Antonio speedway?I really can't see that.I'd be willing to bet after the venture Paul White had at SAS,he would agree that it might be a stretch.You never know though,some people have taken to that track instantly while others struggled for years.

Say Turbo, what was Beaver Stelzig racing in about '85 at SAS? There was a class of Stock Cars there about that time, besides Late Models, but I can't recall the correct title/name. If I'm correct, Beaver ran that class in possibly a blue Chevelle. Along the lines of a Sportsman class, but some pretty good cars.

Thanks Outlaw. In late July/early August '85, that class had a well paying 100 lap race on Saturday night, with time trials and qualifying races Friday night. I believe there were about 50 entries with at least one car from Colorado that won the beauty contest. That car may have been driven by Rick Carrelli (sp?), but I'm not sure. A very competitive field, and I don't recall who won, but I don't think it was Stelzig. He was top five though as I recall. His is the only name I can remember. I would love to see some SAS race results for late season '85 in the Super Stocks or Late Model Stocks as they may have been called.

Roger Avants was the guy from Colorado that was competitive.He had red,yellow,and orange colors on his car.Ervin Brieten won one of those Texas Late Model Classic's.That turned out to be one of the most competitive,exciting,and contraversial races SAS(Highway 16 Raceway) ever had.Stelzig slowed to miss a wreck but got in some of the oil.He had to come to a stop facing 90 degrees on the track.Then came the ever loved all involved rule.He had to restart about 40th even though he hit nothing.He ended up second after making about 30 of the craziest,boldest,and some might say,most stupid passes ever.Either way,he placed himself on that level with the best drivers that ever ran that track.It was in that dark blue Chevelle.It was about two seasons later that he introduced what we consider the modern day late model to SAS,with that brown Pontiac Grand Prix.There wasn't even a Super Series car that look like that.He started a trend that got South Texas late models caught up to the rest of the country.

here is the top 10 from the 1985 Texas Classic @ San Antonio Raceway: (from program 1051 of the '86 event which became the Texas Late Model Stock Classic)

13- Gary Chappell- SA

1 Ray Becka-SA

23 Larry Bendele- SA

14 Glen Bowers- Colorado Springs, CO

41 Paul Horelka- Jourdanton

17 John Tolley-Austin

16 Tracy Coupland- Austin

51 Beaver Stelzig- SA

77 David Trueper- Austin

99 James Hagenson- SA

There are 40 cars listed on the overall reults from that race.

Joe Horne did a hell of a job with those events!

Great job you guys. Thanks! Any and all appreciated. I seem to remember being at SAS/Hwy 16 in late season '85, and during the feature race a local car/driver spun in turn three. He may have been the points leader. Possibly an out of town car got close and took the "air off the spoiler" contributing to the spin. In any event, the driver who spun was wondering if the out of town driver was trying to affect the season championship, possibly in favor of Beaver Stelzig. Not the case though, that car/driver from out of town was just trying to win, or at least finish well.

• 2 months later...
of course I have to go w/ dad. He's not rusty like some of the other "old timers" (dont tell him I said that) & He's raced (and still racing) at SAS since they opened the gates. I don't have his full stats off the top O' my head, but here are some highlights from SAS:

1983 - 2nd in points to Hubert B. ( I think )

1984 - 2nd in points to Keith R

1985 - LM champ

1986 - LM champ - bounty year, went 7 races w/ bounty in place b4 breaking a motor

1987 - 2nd to George H. Jr

1988 - 1st TIDA Champ ( most of the races were at SAS)

1989 - 3rd TIDA points

1990 - TIDA champ - completed 100% of all laps run

1991 - NASCAR Winston Racing Series ( Circle Bar Truck Corral ) 13th in points w/ 2 junk Port City cars

1992 - 2nd TIDA to Slick

1993-94 started part-time racing

1995 - 4th in points SAS Late Models (driving Jason Oates old car)

1996-current part time racing for fun

I can get together Pan Am stats as well, this is just what I remember from going to the races & looking at the photo albums thousands of times. Oh , Nick :ph34r: I have lots of old tapes w/ dad beating FF hands down :P just pokin' fun w/ ya

Jr

Lonesome Ford - this is just a shot in the dark - but would you by chance have any footage which contained a silver sided Nova with a black hood, roof and trunk lid with the bright red numbers 02 prominently displayed on its doors? I've been desperately seeking anyone who might have rare footage of my childhood and life long hero Leroy Brooks while in action. Please advise.

Would any of you put Beaver Stelzig in that group of drivers?

I would have to throw Bill White in that mix. :D

I'm willing to bet Bill White in a Modified, would spank a field of any drivers you want to put out there, Tiny Lund included. You put Bill in that Blue Deuce he had and he'd spank the lot of them. Bill didn't have a favorite track, only a favorite place to finish, and that was in front. At close to 80 years old he looks like he could still, make a left.

• 1 month later...

Archived