PAS 1972

see86go

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you see in that photo is not the track itself but the entrance road, which ran along in front of the grandstands flush with the top of the track wall, about four and a half feet above the track.

Ok i see i never got to go to that track but heared alot about it

When i was in school in the sixties we would get free . 54 and up fords and chevys the worst part was we scrapped them . they were police impounds .ouch the thought of how much money we junked ..thanks for those pic .s they bring back what we miss.

notice the 2 guys on Todds pit crew both have Pit Passes stapled to their sleeves. One of the first jobs I had at Pan American was Helping Mimi Ware at the pit gate. Each guy paid $5.00 (I think) signed in and got his pass. Sounds like the price for a pit pass has gone up....... of course I think the purse for winning the 35 lap feature race was $245.00 in the early 70s.

Here is a question for the group does anyone have one the programs from that time? I remember there was a section that had all of the drivers pictures in it like a high school annual.

I remember working pit gate at cc speedway .stapleing.pit passes to drivers only one time out of hundreds did get someone .and she was perty.and also stapled a young man who became to time nascar champ .i suppose yah know who that is T L ring a bell .people always complained about the holes .owell .

Oldtimer,

At Pan-Am on Toepperwein, the pits were off turns 3 & 4. To get on the track from the pits, you took a little road that ran above the track surface in front of the grandstands all the way down to near turn one before you reached the track entrance.

I think there are some pics on other threads in this section that show that. I'll see if I can find one.

• 2 weeks later...

Craig

Where are you ???? I havent seen an old picture in weeks. Does anyone know what happened to Ted Hood he really had some pics from the old PAS. If someone has these photos I would be glad to scan them and put them up for all to see.

Don

Don - I am still around - I have been very busy with work and trying to keep up with our touring series with my legend. I still have quite a few photos to post and will get back to it shortly. I also found a program from 1978 that I will post soon.

Does anyone know what happened to Ted Hood he really had some pics from the old PAS. If someone has these photos I would be glad to scan them and put them up for all to see.

Don,

Ted Hood passed away a while back, and his widow gave the entire collection of pictures to Ricci Ware, JR. There are boxes and boxes of stuff.

All of it is currently in the possession of Harry Kinsey, and he is keeping a tight lid on all of it until they decide what to do with them. There has been discussion of a Pan American historical web-site, but I don't know if that will become a reality.

Tom

Hell, Tom THIS is a "Historical Pan-Am" website. Nobody's going to make any money off those old pics. They're not doing anybody any good rotting away in those old boxes. I could scan 'um and post 'um on here and have them back to Harry in a jiffy. Then I'd tell the world on here what a wonderful person Harry is for doing that! :D

What's Harry's number? :D

• 1 year later...
I ran across these color photos from 1972 recently. They are all square, as they were all taken with an old instamatic camera and then trimmed slightly to fit in a photo cube. J thought people may be interested in these since they are in color, and most of the photos from that era that I or others have posted are black and white.

The first is of Todd Ford.

77color.jpg

This is an absolutely beautiful picture - Todd was the first driver I ever started pullin' for. Thank you so much for posting this..........Wes

This photo is of Bubba Storbeck. I believe he intended to race somewhere else, maybe Austin, and when he returned to PAS his number 55 was taken, so he ended up with #63.

63color.jpg

I love this color photo...notice his goggles are hangin off of his rear view mirror....this is "bad."

Leroy Brooks

02color.jpg

I remember the plush dashboard - thanks again for sharing these!

The last one is of my uncle, Fred Elbel, Sr. Fred's wife's name is Wande, and when an old hairspray commercial featured "Wanda the Witch" Fred painted the name on his cars. My aunt made a big fuss about it, but I think deep down she liked it.

22color.jpg

Fred Always kept his ride looking sharp - what a great photo!

Thanks guys, for the comments. I still have quite a few more photos to post from PAS, Longhorn, TWS and Hwy 16, but I haven't had the time in the last few months. I have been traveling quite a bit after a promotion at work, and my mom passed away last month so we are going back and forth to SA quite a bit.

302 - thanks for posting those amazing photos recently. Every one brings back many memories.

While in SA on our last trip, I met up with the Elbels (my Uncle Fred's sons) and learned they had no photos of their father racing and Fred, Jr. had no photos of any of his racing. I pulled together all I had and made reprints. They are each going to have a nice little present when I return in a couple of weeks. The #22 that was posted recently is in that set - none of us had that photo.

Archived