PAS 1972

see86go

Statistically there might have been an increase, but from a practical perspective it was not noticeable. It wasn't like when sprint cars tangle, for instance. What there was, was a very obvious increase in bent wheels, axles, tie rods and a-frames, especially tie-rods.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks guys, for the comments. I still have quite a few more photos to post from PAS, Longhorn, TWS and Hwy 16, but I haven't had the time in the last few months. I have been traveling quite a bit after a promotion at work, and my mom passed away last month so we are going back and forth to SA quite a bit.

302 - thanks for posting those amazing photos recently. Every one brings back many memories.

While in SA on our last trip, I met up with the Elbels (my Uncle Fred's sons) and learned they had no photos of their father racing and Fred, Jr. had no photos of any of his racing. I pulled together all I had and made reprints. They are each going to have a nice little present when I return in a couple of weeks. The #22 that was posted recently is in that set - none of us had that photo.

Craig - I've got more of the 22 I'll post. Sorry to here about your mother, I'm sure it's difficult. I have tons of other photos you all will enjoy but it takes time. God Speed......Wes

Craig - I've got more of the 22 I'll post. Sorry to here about your mother, I'm sure it's difficult. I have tons of other photos you all will enjoy but it takes time. God Speed......Wes

Thanks, Wes. All of these photos bring back such fond memories of PAS, amd I am sure you are having just as much fun sharing your collection as I do sharing mine.

Thanks, Wes. All of these photos bring back such fond memories of PAS, amd I am sure you are having just as much fun sharing your collection as I do sharing mine.

10-4 Craig....I'm grinnin' from from ear-to-ear.....

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd bump this one back to the top also. Take some time and read the stories. Look at the cars real good. You just dont see these anymore. Real race cars in my book. I wonder if any of these are still around somewhere? Enjoy

I do know of one car - is is the #68 Chevelle that was driven at one point by Ronnie Drew a few times. My uncle, Fred Elbel, bought it and had started to hang a new body on the car but never finished it. The last time I was in Texas I saw the car sitting in a field at Don Elbel's place. I shot a photo of it and will post it here if I can get my hands on it.

I have also located more photos from this era, a bunch from TWS in the 70s and 80s and some early SAS stuff. I am extremely busy right now and probably will not have a chance to post them until early June.

I have been without internet capabilities for a while. This conversation on the tires, and wheels on these cars bring back memories, especially when Bobby,and Don start talking about them. When I was a kid, I got to spend time with the Oatman, and Beardslee kids. In Grandma, and Grandpa Bee's back yard, at the old house, by josephine and St.Marys, they had a racetrack, where us kids used to have tire races, with some of Harold and Donald oatmans takeoffs. Pat Beardslee would paint numbers to matchthe numbers on the racecars at Pan American speedway, onto the old slicks. We would pick numbers, draw for l;ine ups, and start racing. As kids, we really learned how to make those big tires cruise, or ypou got run over by one. Needless to say, there was always a fight over the #54 and #50 tires, especially if Bruce and Donny Oatman were there. The starts looked about like that picture of the little 500. Bruce and Donnie Oatman, Pat, Chuck, Denise, Wesley, Jeff, Dee, Lisa, Mike, and Bobby Beardslee, Clint, and Vince Pollard, Hillarie, and little John Rothe, and me of course Tommy Casey (aka. Bucky). Those were the days! Back then, when they had a Big Race at P.A.S., such as the Firecracker, the pit crews for each driver, would have a 4 man relay, once around the track, pushing a slick, and passing it off. The winning pit crew would win a tire for his driver. We always hoped that Harold or Donald would recognize the young talent in the back yard, and move us up to the big leagues of tire relays. Hope all of the Oatman and Beardslee family members are doing well, I remember those days fondly.

Archived