Texas Speed Racers Association

RockStan

This is an idea that i am willing to try with supervision from the best and never the rest. Myself and several others well 9 or 10 actually are throwing around the idea of starting a drivers union,form the drivers, for the drivers. First off do away with all track rules that dont make sense and set a standard set for all 4 tracks. Because honestley this is getting rediculous.How many of you are tired of spending countless money on tires that have to be bought at the track,mandated fuel and officiating that doesn't make sense. What I, we are offering is a standardized set of rules that saves the driver money time and blood and sometimes a marriage.We are proposing tires that dont cost so much, carbs that are legal at all area tracks just rules in general that will make it fun again like all of us here the older generation talking about and showing us pictures of. The thing is that if we do this and stick to it it will work. We need to get a set of rules that are right and make a traveling circuit of sorts well not even that but just to where we can go to any of the four tracks and drive and be competitive with the equipment that is at our disposal as of right now. Set rules that are stone for 4 years at a time get tire contracts that we dont try to make almost twice our money back on. Find a fuel supplier that doesnt mind helping out. This is all in well I dont want to say the better good for the racers because that will turn you off after hearing it all these years and I dont wanna imply that it will save you thousands of dollars cure warts and end world hunger. But it will benefit all who help in the long run. All that is needed is an interest from drivers from all four tracks and maybe some spectators who wanna see a good car count in the pits again, because if we get the cars and the racing then the fans will start to come back and the money will hopefully start to get better, but it cant be done with what we are doing right now........... whatching short track racing go down the tubes. This is an attempt at saving several peoples herritage and a few of the remaining tracks left in Texas. So hopefully this has sparked an interest in many people . If so please reply with comments and concerns and maybe we can get the ball rolling so to speak.........................................

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask any guy who has been a member of a union if they are bad, and you'll hear the same thing the Termite said, and I'd have to agree.

However, this proposed "Union" is not what Texas racing needs. Texas pavement racing's problems don't stem from the promoters mistreating the racers in any way. Speaking for our team, we've always been paid the full advertised purse regardless of car count at our track (THR.) Like I have said before, the idea of common rules has many benefits, but it won't cure all of the ills we're seeing at our local tracks. It may help, but it's not the cure.

If you want to be productive as a driver, get out there and support your local track and do your part to get fans in the stands. Perpetuating an "us against them" attitude will only drive the tracks into the ground sooner.

All of the above, just my .02 of course.

By the way, if you do hope to garner support, you should at least tell people who you are.

Chase Stapp

Rockstan,Tracks have rules for a reason,one is so they will have a product on the track and can figure about how many cars they will have when the gates swing open.Make them all the same and all one track has to do is up the purse to something the class hasnt seen before and offer some perks to lure the cars their way for awhile and before long you only have 1 track to race,then the purse may or more than likely drop,because you have no other options to race at.A racetrack is like any other business,if it is not supported, it will eventually go away.Just my .02

I agree with you 100 % but tracks offer different purses now and they still get mediocre car counts .we are not trying to get it to where one track is all that is left, we are trying to get it so that you can go to the last remaining tracks and not have to spend a minimum of 400 dollars just to get the track tires.Plus you can do it like imca does it and set a purse payoff limit. that is just one simple way of doing things but there are many ways of seting rules to go anywhere and keep the last 4 tracks alive.Chase who we are is just several racers who want to be able to go to any track and not have to spend a ton of money on fuel to get there and then shell out 100 plus dollars a tire to race and be competitive and then to get disqualified or told you will be dq"ed like the # 1 car in houston for heads he was told were legal. and that is just a little about "who we are" we are no one special other than the fact we all love racing just like all of you

Just to clarify something for Rockstan, but the #1 car was told when he raced the winter series that his heads and cam were not legal, and he told us that he would change them before he came back. If he was told they were legal, he was not talking to the person who is in charge of the rules. Rules specifically say no closed chamber heads and he had double hump heads. I think our rules are pretty straight forward and he knew what they were before he came.

On that note, I did enjoy racing with him, he is a class act, but you guys need to get your facts straight. this is not a street stock class, this is Hobby Stock. It is designed around the 200-250 Hobby Stock cars that were built in houston over the last 3 years in hopes to pull them off dirt.

I don't want anyone thinking that HMP or the Hobby Stock class mis led anyone about the rules.

Also, on the tire rule. HMP wanted us to run the Goodyear tire, but we chose to allow any 8" tire to allow cars that already had tires or could get takeoffs from TSRS, USRA, or other series/tracks run. I run the hoosiers, others run the goodyears, and a few have run AR slicks.

Rockstan,from my 30+ yrs in the business,the only thing I can tell you is find a track,find a class,build a car and race it,and have fun,because if your looking to make a little money in racing,you better start with whole lot of it and hope you have a little left when you quit.

Rockstan,from my 30+ yrs in the business,the only thing I can tell you is find a track,find a class,build a car and race it,and have fun,because if your looking to make a little money in racing,you better start with whole lot of it and hope you have a little left when you quit.

Quick and to the point, that was good!

Tim

Speed 7 maybe you should talk to the guy who makes the rules. Cause I am pretty sure that is not what was said, I talked straght to the "horse" and he said he was told to add weight and you would let him run, or do you expect all of us to believe that a car on a budget drove 3 hours to hot lap?

Well AJ, if you look at the Hobby Stock page, it says ask James Huff for any rules questions. I am sure that Dale talked to Randy and he said it was OK, but when he left Houston the first time, he was told that the cam and the heads were not legal. Randy has no say in the rules of this class. It is real simple, read the rules, it states it pretty clear. Its not our fault that he went and asked someone else about it when he was already told what to do to be legal.

Ohh...that makes sense...who would think to ask the track tech...Of course he should have known to just ask one of the other drivers in that class, cause that is usually the head tech for a class (I am sure his car is legal...lol) But you said it right, you really only wanted other dirt cars to run against you...not veteran asphalt racers (should have just put that in the rules) Well to bad you guys dont want to work with other tracks, it would have been good to come down and watch a full field of stock cars run there.

AJ, I am not going to get into a pissing contest with you. Dale knows that the track left everything up to us. I would like to see a full field of cars, but we are trying to do a motor that is comparable to the crate motors and the THR Street Stocks are not. This class did not exist last year, and if it weren't for our efforts, including funding the purse for the first few races, it wouldn't exist today. The track had a few specific things they wanted, crate motors and 9" rear ends were 2 of them. Our 450 lift Hobby Stock motors are very comparable to the 350 HP motors the crate class runs. Now, working with other tracks, hell, that never works anyways!!!

Now really AJ, I don't care to get into an arguement with you, we put all that behind you. I wouldn't mind seeing you bring your Hobby out and running with ya. Even though we don't get along, you are a hell of a racer and I know you would be fast on any surface and in any car.

P.S James is car is legal and has a crate motor. The track tech man this past week looked over the top three for about 45 minutes.

Ok speed so when we bring our hobby stocks from kyle and smoke yall you arent goin to do any whining right cause they are hobby stocks like you say yall run or are yall goin to cry cause they are asphalt cars and not any of the 250 some odd dirt cars built for houston dirt tracks that your class is built for if i understood you right . but then again you were just saying in a previous post that you want a full class and large car counts kinda self contaradicting isnt it and tommy you are trying to say that you dont travel to different tracks or dont even want to and if you do you dont mind spendin the money to buy tires for just one night but like yall said that is just my .02 ha ha ha ha that is some funny ship

If it fits the rules, it can run! Man, what is the problem with that. If it don't, it can't. Simple as that. Can I bring my TSRS car with a toned down Street Stock motor and run Street Stock at THR? NO, it doesn't fit the rules! This is a new class. We are out here having fun, there are 5 cars being built right now that will be ready in July. There are 2 cars out because one blew a motor and the other is building a house and hasn't raced in 8 weeks.

Man, I am sorry you guys don't like the rules. Maybe you should have stepped up and started it yourselves and you could have had a say in it. I wanted a change from dirt, so I approached James and the Bakers, and here we are. We looked at THR rules, and car count. 15 cars? 10% show up, you have less than 2 cars. Houston Hobby's, 250 cars, you get 10% that's 25 cars. Problem right now is that people are waiting to see what the track does to see if it drops the class. I've heard from a bunch of cars from Gator and Battleground that are looking into converting there cars, but are waiting to see. If we don't get a larger car count by the end of the year, maybe we will consider running the Street Stock rules, I don't know. But then everyone that bought crate motors will be at a disadvantage because the SS class is faster.

Speed Racer where can I get the rules on the hobby class I race a hobby car in Kyle and plan on going to Houston on our off weeks also what is the payout?

thanks Gary

Rockstan,I do more races than anybody around these parts,156 last year and have already done 55 this year,so yes I travel.Plus had my own race team for 20+ years traveling till I sold everything.So now I'm fortunate enough to be paid to be in the motorsports entertainment business.All in all,been around it 40 years,been there,done that,seen alot and will see alot more as the sport and technology changes.

over the years-64 f/gas corvette,68 camaro g/hr,super comp drag boat,moved to circle track in early 90,ran super stock at old longhorn speedway,ran a dwarf car series for 7 years,ran in the all star race truck series for 3 years,then my son ran it for 2 years,sold everything and went to work for IHRA Drag Racing Series and SAR.What else you want to know.I can tell you how many times I've been on Speed TV and how many magazines I've been in the last year and a half.

Archived