MIDGETS in Texas

Budman

I had hoped that the Houston Speed Bowl would show up on this cropped version of an old 1941 map of Houston, but all that shows in the area is Buff Stadium where I show the yellow arrow. Sorry I couldn't make it any bigger, but it gets blurred if I try to enlarge it. I found some other info that shows the Houston Speedbowl existed 1937-1942. The Houston Speed Bowl doesn't show near the "Ball Park" (Buff Stadium) in this 1935 map either.

While looking for the Houston Speed Bowl, I came across this website that mentions a Bellaire Speedway in Houston that existed from 1924-1929. Does anyone know where the Bellaire Speedway was? This is a neat website that has a lot of track and driver/fan fatality information. Take a look at it. Click on the options at the start for fatalities by Circuit, Name, Year, etc.

Here is a fatality listed for the Houston Speed Bowl.

The Tellepsen Warehouse is the site of the old dirt track. Mr. Tellepsen owned a lot of property out there. Maybe someone else can remember when he built that warehouse. I think that later it was known as Wm. Curtin Co. I can't find a map that has the old track on it. Maybe my dad was talking about Arrowhead. :rolleyes:

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding post #193: That is a great picture. Where was it taken? I last saw Buddy Rackley in a USAC Midget race at Navasota in '69 or '70, and he could still get around the track pretty well. I think Buddy may have fell on hard times in later years and passed away in about '80.

In response to post #196: Actually Jim, we originally had the # 89. Can you believe that? For some reason, possibly the history, I checked and # 9 was available so I took it. I much preferred a single digit, and it meant less work/painting. After a short time, it became my favored race car number. And I never considered another number, and did consider the lightning bolt. So there Jim, I had both of your favorite numbers. But really, that is some coincidence. But for Billy Griswold, didn't he sometimes drive a # 8 at Playland Speedway that was normally driven by Tony Medina? Also, didn't Johnny Reiff drive occasionally, possibly the heat races?

The 8 car was driven by Billy if the 9 car was down. I,m not sure that the 8 was the 9 car until they built a new 9 car. Pretty complex stuff. :D:D Tony drove the 8 car on a regular basis. He was also a good guy to have on your side in case of trouble. I agree about single digit numbers. Anything else is to much taping when it came time to paint. I took laziness one step farther by painting our car black. Get a few nicks and just rattle can it. Looks good from the stands..................I don't think Billy would let Johnny in the car unless it was early in the morning................

When I was a kid we would go to (I think) Arrowhead and watch the midgets. Names that I recall: Doc Cossey, Red Hodges, Speedy Mathaney, Cecil Green, Cecil Elliot, Tubby Gonzales, Buddy Rackley, and others I can't recall at the moment. Guess they're all gone now.

The SSMA Texas Open Wheel Forum is fantastic, especially the Midgets, great pictures! I didn't realize Dale Burt had raced that much. Of course it was a little before my race fan time. In the early 70s, I had the good fortune to spend a couple of hours with Mr Burt at a Goodyear Tire Store/Shop getting some Firestones mounted for a friend's Stock Car.

If I had to guess, I would say it is Billy Griswold. I would think Gingerbreadman or Tex44 would know. For many years, I had a memory of a Midget Car being upside down with the driver balancing the car with his hands until help arrived to avoid a hard side landing. As I recall, it was in/near turn 3 at Arrowhead Speedway/Houston. I don't remember if the car had a roll bar, but it certainly did not have a cage. I also don't remember the car number. For about 20 yrs, I thought the driver was Sonny McDaniel. But, in the mid 70s/early 80s, I was told by a reliable source that the driver in that incident was Billy Griswold.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing several pictures of Bill Todd's Midget Car, I was just wondering about Bill Todd. I used to see Bill around Meyer Spdwy and we even worked for the same company for awhile, but it's been many years since I saw or heard anything from him. Just curious if anyone has any info.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

..MORE MIDGETS PLEASE

Great stuff..

Sure would like to see more Midgets from the old days.

Those OFFY engines were probably a contributing factor to my hearing loss. I could'nt get close enough to the fence when they came roaring by.. :blink:

• 2 months later...

According to Bill Hill's book, "Decades of Daring", John Stanfield was a midget owner from Dallas in the 1940s. He later moved to Tulsa and, at one time, he owned the former O'Day Offy big car. Does anyone know more about John Stanfield?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived