Miles above the rest

KahneFan

The brand wars thing got me wondering, what brand/make/model vehicle have you personally (not a friend of a friend that you heard about from a friend) put the most miles on and the mileage, even if it's still running? If you've changed motors/tranny's list how many times.

1993 Chevy 1- ton 6.5 tubo diesel 350,000 last weekend on the way home from the races

1 motor @ 285,000 as a result of problems from a wreck( didnt even burn any oil at that point) Here is the real suprise .... 1 injector pump at 159,000 and still holding. Cant count automatic transmissions though.

1985 ford 6.9 diesel 387,000 1 motor at 305,000 1 trans at about 200,000 sold in 95 to buy 93 chevy

1999 dodge R/T 150,000 now with only an intake gasket once and regular maintanence

I agree w/ aces regular maintenece is the key

1977 Toyota Celica, bought used with 89,000 miles, drove to Jim Pallas' Big 4 junkyard with well over 300,000 miles on it. (Drove straight through from Austin to Maryland and back for high school reunion with 220,000-plus miles in June of 1988.) $1,500.00 in engine work at 140,000 miles (wife didn't know temp gauges that don't move are as important as those that move a lot), replaced transmission bearing at 150,000.

1984 Mazda pickup, had 151,000 miles when sold for $2,100.00; saw it around South Austin for a couple of years after that. Two transmission bearings replaced, both under warranty. No problem after the second time at about 60,000 miles.

For various reasons, I usually don't keep vehicles that long. I've had a few others that would have gone a lot farther than I wanted to drive them.

Current cars--

1998 Saturn SL2, just turned 170,000 miles, uses no oil, and gets 30 mpg going across town to work.

2000 Ford F-150, right at 165,000, has never had any kind of problem.

I bought the Ford new to replace a 1987 Mazda B2000 bought new in Aug 1986. When I finally let go of it and gave it to my son-in-law in 2001, it had 315,000 showing on the odometer, and I ran it a couple years with the speedo disconnected to save miles on the warranty. I estimate it actually had closer to 350-360,000 miles. He used it as a junk truck for about 3 years after that. Had a little over 400,000 showing when he horse traded it for something else.

Needless to say, I have never traded a car in on a new one; we run them so long, there is little value left, so I might as well keep it.

Guest RandyBorlace

1989 chevy 1500 half ton silverado, 393,000 miles engine is not blown, but has a knock, and i quit using it, also sounded like a bearing had spun, probably 6 transmissions, and its on its second rearend, and 10th or so set of tires lol

My dad gave my brother his 1990 chevy 1/2 ton,and he sold it to some dude with the original miles at 450,000 miles on it,last year.The odometer broke two years before that.One transmission ,a couple of starters,and water pumps went out through the years.Must have had at least over 500,000 miles on it,and thats gospel!(hell,thats just chevy)

'96 F250 7.3 diesel - bought it with 175,000 on it, it has 242,000 on it now.. I don't know what was done before but all I have done is water pump, alternator and glow plugs..

'99 Buick Regal 3.8L, 98,000 - I did a starter last year and it leaks oil so I need to add a quart between changes.. The plastic stuff in the interior is starting to break, my one real complaint about generic motors products. The wife likes it and it's paid for so we'll keep it another year or two.

Had an 85 Mazda 626 once with 156,000 on it when we traded it in, it leaked oil through the front seal so bad it almost needed an IV bottle hanging over the hood but it ran well.

OK now I feel bad with all these older trucks and not havin problem.

Ok here ya go:

2005 chevrolet silverado 27,925 miles, transmission rebuilt 6 times for the same problem is it fixed something tells me no ill find out on my next long trip. CD player replaced 3 times. Other than that its a good truck.

1998 F150 v6 112,000 miles was a good truck didnt have many problems except when i put the plug wires on backwards.

1997 F150 v6 87,000 miles also a good truck except when the main wiring harness plug would come loose.

2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 35th annv edition perfect car never had a problem and still kick myself today for gettin rid of it.

1998 Plymouth Neon bought brand new. Only new car I have ever owned (probably the last)

148,000 on it when the odometer broke, sometime last summer. Blew a head gasket at 98,000. Spent about $1400 fixing it, had a valve job and other stuff done at the same time. Darry Burlington did a great job. Air conditinioner high pressure switch went out a couple of years ago, still haven't gotten that fixed. Using 4X75 for cooling now. :lol:

1999 Dodge Caravan, bought in 2003 with 62,000 on it. Has 84,000 now. I don't know the prior history, but I haven't done anything but routine maintenance.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Guest bigfat

2002 1/2 Ton Dodge. 109,115 miles. New motor @ 77,145 miles. First oil change.

One oil change that occured at about 19,000 miles. Motor was still running but the oil pressure would keep dropping when the waxxy build up sludge covered the oil pick up tube. It would probably still be running strong with a good flushin'.

2000 chevy Tahoe. 33k miles. Sweet but needed something with a bed. The people at On Star had a blast with us. It was free the 1st year so me and my buds would call em' every 5 seconds. "Where we at" " I locked my Keys in the Car.". They said Mr. Stuart you have locked your keys in the car approximately 27 time in 2 months. LOL.

1996 3/4 ton Chevy. 88k miles. Slave cylinder went out when I was on the West side of Down Town. Had to drive all the way out to Calaveras Lake with no clutch. Stop lights were a shi.t load of fun.

1989 1/2 ton chevy. no air. 210 k. Tranny went out. Got a grand for it when I traded it in on the 96'.

My first car, the one I regret selling the most, my '85 pontiac Parisienne, bought it for free but had to pay to have it towed out of someones front yard, it had been hit real hard on the driver's side. I fixed it, drove it for a few years, and then decided I needed more power and sold it. When I bought it it had 99K on the clock miles and had rolled over atleast once, car ran great, never smoked and would get over 20mpg and do 105. It had never had anything besides regular service, I rebuilt the carb when I bough it but that was it. I know it's still running, we still get parking tickets for it from Austin...

As far as mileage, once, in an state to be unamed, a , umm, friend, ya a friend, got 45 mpg in a 2nd gen five speed Eclipse doing 95mph about 2 foot off the bumper of a fourth gen camaro... :ph34r:

1982 280 ZX Turbo 2 seat-er - First car, bought it used in 1990 with 39,000 miles, currently has 87,000. Replaced turbo, fuel injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, air-flow meter, alternator, starter, Dunlops-225x50x15's, clutch, painted car pearl-white, too many things to list. Whooped several Camaros and Mustangs on the highway, jumped over some rail road tracks once and landed in a ditch, back wheels up in the air. Once turning on 90 E, was going too fast on the turn and went spinning, slid down the grass and ended up taking the 410 West route instead. Towed a few of my friends broken cars across town. Made several gas runs, got pulled-over about 14 times, once for racing, twice for booming too loud and "disturbing the peace", and all others because I looked like a suspicious Hispanic. Got wrecked on Military Dr., drove the car home wrecked because I had no drivers license. Got shot at once with a 9mm, bullet still in right 1/4 panel. Car got broken into once, ran-over the family dog. Most people in the car at once, with t-tops off and hatchback open, 9. Air-flow meter went out again at the end of 95, parked it in the garage at my mom's house. A few years after that, my car got moved out of the garage to make room for other things, been sitting in mom's back yard since that time. Replaced hatchback window after a tree limb fell on it caused by a bad storm. In a separate storm, windshield got crack by another falling tree limb and broke the rt door mirror. Some guys having a little bit too much to drink around my car, took a bat and finished breaking the windshield. Is starting to rust. I'll wait towards the end of the year, before I decide if to sell it, part it out, or junk it, kinda like the old saying, "I bought me a weight set and I'll start working out tomorrow". It will cost too much money and time to fix. :P Got married in mid 96, have had four family cars since.

1982 honda acord bought used with 90,000 + miles on it... I drove it daily in High School, even accidently jumped it once and sold it with over 150,000... Never did anything to it other that 2 oil changes I think.... I sold it to a freind and it also went through 2 more freinds before water pump died and they left it sit on side of road to get towed...

1987 Chev Cavalier Z24 bought with over 200k I have put over 100 miles a day on it, just did a major tune up a 1 cv shaft, then at 230k the tranny just took a dump on me... dont know how much that will cost.. :(

Archived