Fords

see86go

I saw a message posted on one of the other forums asking about Fords and Chryslers racing today. There were some Fords and a couple of Chrysler products running in the mid-70s at PAS and in Austin. Here are several of them:

Pat Kelly

15-kelly.jpg

I don't know the entire story about Port America Speedway, but it was a track Ricci Ware was going to build in Houston. I have heard several stories about why it didn't fly, perhaps somone in the know might be able to reply.

txtom will probably know more about why Ricci never made the Houston Track but I think it had something to do with the energy shortage of the 70's.

For some reason, I have never asked the Ware's why the Houston track didn't go; Next time I see one of them, I'll ask. We will probably see Trey in a truck a few times this year.

Neat pics of the Fords; Bruce Hobbs was in the insurance business down here in San Antonio for awhile, maybe still. My Mother was an agent, and did business with Hobbs on occasion.

His #27 Mustang was yellow with white accents.

Now a little history on that #87 Torino.

This car was originally built by Lee Machen, and he was the owner. The car had a Tom Pistone front clip that Mac got through Clarence Lovell, and a Holman-Moody cage. Most of it's races were run with a 427, although I think he also ran a 390 in it. Mac was crew chief, and also had Bill Burt working on it, the same Bill Burt that works for Mac today.

Mac built the engines, and had pieces from Holman-Moody and Bud Moore. He still has a few of these pieces, but he probably can't find them in all his junk.

You old timers saw this car originally run as a #37, with Ed Siegmund driving it. You may remember this car as the one that blew an engine at Austin, and part of the resulting mess was the big fire suffered by Glenn Schwabe in his first camaro, about 1974.

The Camaro that was so dominant that it had a bounty on it for awhile. If I remember right, it was Buddy Yantis that took that bounty.

Later, Mac and Siegmund parted ways, and Siegmund bought the Chevelle that is posted in the "Nice Cars '73-'75" post.

The #37 Chevelle.

Since Siegmund took the #37, Mac renumbered his car to #87, and Raymond Johnson drove it as you see in the pic above. Interestingly enough, Johnson only drove it 3 times, once each at Pan Am and Austin, and once at Shreveport. It's best race with Johnson was the Shreveport race, and he was in the lead pack, and steadily moving up, until he knocked fenders with Donnie Allison and cut a tire.

That Torino was a tire eating monster with the horsepower it had, and the weight of the car. But those big cars were fun to watch, and even more fun to listen to.

Anyone notice the name on the side of the Jim McCall car?

"Owner Gerald McCall". Ran a engine building business in town called "Blue Diamond Racing Engines" Ended up in a little trouble with the law, and no one sems to know where he is now.

And that "USA Racing" is the same place that sponsored the #10 of Willy Charro, the self-proclaimed "Crazy Mexican" whose paint job looked like the Mexican flag.

• 1 year later...
In the John Kelly photo above, there is what appears to be a Pace Truck on the pit road.

Does it say on there "Port America Speedway"? Anybody know about that?

I don't know the entire story about Port America Speedway, but it was a track Ricci Ware was going to build in Houston. I have heard several stories about why it didn't fly, perhaps somone in the know might be able to reply.

txtom will probably know more about why Ricci never made the Houston Track but I think it had something to do with the energy shortage of the 70's.

Well, it took awhile, but I finally got the answer to this one. I just visited with Trey Ware at a store here, and he gave me the story on Port America.

It was located on land fairly near the Astrodome/Astroworld area. It was in the construction phase when Ricci Ware got a call from Houston Mayor Fred Hofheinz. Hofheinz asked Ware what he was doing, and Ricci gave him the story about the track. Hofheinz stated that he would not allow it, as it would compete with the Astrodome/Astroworld complex. Hofheinz had a financial interest in the Astro complex.

He told Ware that he would never get the permits, and that is what happened. Each step of construction met a several month delay in getting permits, inspections, etc. Ware got fed up with it and abandoned the project before it got finished. Hofheinz made sure that it would not happen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Buddy Woodall - I believe he was the Champion in Austin in this car:

42-woodall.jpg

he won championships with that car in austin and I believe san antonio. he also won a championship in the falcon on dirt in killeen. that would be the last track for it to be raced. back then killeen had a huge drop off on the back stretch with bolders at the bottom. he got push over the back and when he hit the bolder it bent the passanger front upright between the cage and roof. they fixed it years later for terry to race at killeen and the same thing happened again. after that it set at the house until (due to the fact that I didn't listen to grandma) he passed and it was crushed when we close the used parts yard down. The car had so much of him in it that my grandma couldn't have it around, too many memories, but if I would have listened and put it on my trailer I would still have it. on a side note the motor in the car was a ford but with certain chevorlet pieces in them.

• 2 years later...
Buddy Woodall - I believe he was the Champion in Austin in this car:

42-woodall.jpg

he won championships with that car in austin and I believe san antonio. he also won a championship in the falcon on dirt in killeen. that would be the last track for it to be raced. back then killeen had a huge drop off on the back stretch with bolders at the bottom. he got push over the back and when he hit the bolder it bent the passanger front upright between the cage and roof. they fixed it years later for terry to race at killeen and the same thing happened again. after that it set at the house until (due to the fact that I didn't listen to grandma) he passed and it was crushed when we close the used parts yard down. The car had so much of him in it that my grandma couldn't have it around, too many memories, but if I would have listened and put it on my trailer I would still have it. on a side note the motor in the car was a ford but with certain chevorlet pieces in them.

Wasn't there a companion falcon to this car in Austin, a white #19 maybe? I almost bought that car from a couple in NW Austin in 76, lady said they were getting out of racing after a real nice 73 Mach 1 they built for speedorama had been stolen, never found, and they were just devastated.

Archived