Trackside NSB

King237

This is a really freaky accident here: This leaves me wondering "who is responsible for fixing the guys truck?"

Does the track?? , the racer whose car it came off?  SOL and guy eats it? Just wondering

Edited by King237
left key words out

I'd guess that it wouldn't be the racer. I suspect it would come down to a battle between the track's risk-waiver for anyone in the infield (I assume they have one) vs the possible negligence of the track for leaving a barrel in the racing area where a reasonable person might foresee it being hit by a race car and launched (the only way I can see that the racer could be held responsible is for not realizing the hazard and raising the issue). Good thing that barrel didn't fly a little higher/farther - as it was, you could see one guy in the truck almost get knocked over by the impact.

It would be interesting to read the notes/reports of the claim investigators/adjusters involved, and to hear the phone call of the truck owner to his insurance company.  "You were at the race track, and WHAT????"

I believe there's a thread in the history forum that this reminds me of - someone parked off the 3rd/4th turns at SAS where he shouldn't have and a car went over the wall and...

We have a picture of the race car upside down on top of a parked passenger car at my parents' house somewhere. Believe it was Eddy Biershwald (sp?) That was in the racecar. Think Greg Davidson went airborne there as well and made it a few rows in the parking lot. Johnny White, I think, went over at CCS and landed on someone else's trailer in the pits.

• 2 weeks later...

Late 1960s....Midgets goes out the park Illiana Speedway(Schererville, Ind) lands on cars in spectator parking lot.

Early 1980s...Tires goes out into parking lot Kalamzoo Speedway(K-zoo, Mich) hits truck in spectator parking, goes skyward, lands in bed of truck. 

Saw numerous incidents involving cars going into the pit area, going over/through guard rails, causing damage to other racecars/haulers.

**LESSON, NEVER turn your back at a race track inside or out.

On 2/12/2021 at 11:48 PM, top_shelf_12 said:

We have a picture of the race car upside down on top of a parked passenger car at my parents' house somewhere. Believe it was Eddy Biershwald (sp?) That was in the racecar. Think Greg Davidson went airborne there as well and made it a few rows in the parking lot. Johnny White, I think, went over at CCS and landed on someone else's trailer in the pits.

yep he bounced off our trailor and i think the one next to us ...  my boss and i pulled a joke on johnny   white a couple of days earlier  when he had  ordered parts he had it shipped to our  shop  i think to keep his wife seeing what he was spending money on .. well we pulled his new cam out of the box and broke an olds cam in three places and put it in his cam box .. he at first didnt realize his cam wasnt suppose to be in three parts .and said dang  this cam isnt suppoe to be that way is it . i said no and tim said well guess you wont be racing unless you pay out another  hundred  for this new one i have in my hand just happen to have a spare .. .. the look on his face looked like he was going to cry .. so we gave him his good cam .. i quess that was bad luck 

1 hour ago, King237 said:

Watch out Hi-Tech....Nick reads this stuff and won't pay you full price anymore when you work on his truck :D

I was wondering why those "new parts" he installed broke so quickly. It think you might be onto something here, King...

Hi Tech,

That truck never would have made it to Maine except for the blood, sweat and ....well, maybe not tears.... that you put into that 2000 Ford-Mazda Ranger.  We kid each other a little now and then, but I'm truly grateful for our friendship, Mike. 

And Mike did not get fired.  He got that truck patched up and running good enough for it to make the 2,400-mile trip to Maine with the bed fully loaded.  And it's still running fine up there as our daily driver and firewood hauler. So, I hope everyone knows that Mike does good work, using new parts and does it at a very reasonable price. 

12 hours ago, NickHolt said:

Hi Tech,

That truck never would have made it to Maine except for the blood, sweat and ....well, maybe not tears.... that you put into that 2000 Ford-Mazda Ranger.  We kid each other a little now and then, but I'm truly grateful for our friendship, Mike. 

And Mike did not get fired.  He got that truck patched up and running good enough for it to make the 2,400-mile trip to Maine with the bed fully loaded.  And it's still running fine up there as our daily driver and firewood hauler. So, I hope everyone knows that Mike does good work, using new parts and does it at a very reasonable price. 

Hi Tech,

Shoot nick ill have to change my phone number soon  it will be ringing  out of my pocket  now .. lol ..but still waiting for that first customer .. ..i was worried about that truck making that long trip when you said the trans felt like it was acting up glad i didnt get the dead in the water call , ...... folks nick  did not  mention that old truck was well taken care of  by him .it was worth keeping it and that made the differents .I know  it will have a much longer life up there sorta miss it ..

Edited by HiTech

Nick, must be those Auto Zone parts lol.

HiTech, that's a funny prank unless you're on the receiving end of it. I didn't remember much of Johnny White's racing career but his cars did look good. One night we went to Murdock's and they had his old door hanging on the ceiling. Not sure if it's still there or not but it got my attention. Of course the people I was with were hockey guys, not racers, so I may have been the only one that noticed it.