McNeil, Jennings head list of Shady Oaks Classic winners 7-25-15

Shady Oaks Classic, presented by Outlaw Off-road of Texas, Victoria Harley Davidson and First National Bank of Goliad @ Shady Oaks Speedway 7/24-25

By JM Hallas

Goliad, TX.,(July 25th, 2015) After an exciting Friday night of racing that saw Ray Allen Kulhanek take home the ASCS Gulf South Sprint Series win, it was time for round two of the Shady Oaks Classic. Friday action also had Craig Oakes(Limited Modifieds), Jerry Walters(Econo-Mods) and Dakota Heinaman(Pure Stocks) score victories.

Along with the second night of ASCS Sprint Car racing, the local Limited Late Models, Limited Modifieds, Street Stocks and Pure Stocks all saw action on the 1/3 mile, semi-banked, clay oval. Also included was a special Econo-Mod Throwdown sponsored by raceontexas.com.

McNeil Motors to ASCS Main

Michael McNeil(Alvin) scored the flag to flag ASCS Sprint Car win holding off some stiff competition. McNeil, who drew the pole, had the top 3 in Gulf South points right on his tail as the 18-car field roared to life. McNeil beat the pole sitter Channin Tankersley into turn 1 with Kevin Ramey getting by for second, Tommy Bryant, Tankersley and Michael Lang falling in line.

As Bryant pressured Ramey for second, McNeil began to stretch out his advantage. Yellow waved on lap 5 when Dustyn Welch went over the turn 3-4 hill. On the restart Tankersley gave McNeil a look low while last nights winner Ray Allen Kulhanek took fifth from Lang. A half lap later Lang found himself looking the wrong way for a quick caution.

Back under green again, the top five got away clean with Dustin Gates and Beau Smith wheel to wheel for sixth. Kulhanek reeled in Bryant with the two side by side for fourth. At the crossed flags the top five had spread out with McNeil, Tankersley, Ramey, Bryant and Kulhanek holding the spots.

As the lead duo ran up on traffic, Tankersley closed the gap with the two leaders sandwiching the lapped car of Greg Rilat, three wide. Tankersley lost ground in that corner but made one last charge as the laps wound down. Again McNeil was able to work traffic better and as the white flag waved held a comfortable margin taking the win in the Shamrock Marine, Texan Powdercoating, M4 Motorsports, Left Turn Productions, Motor Mike powered, Maxim Chassis.
post-34-0-37966500-1437945844_thumb.jpg

It's been a while since we've won so I'm just happy to be here., said McNeil. It was a great race track. The track was really racy. I appreciate all the fans coming out tonight. You guys are awesome.

We have 35 nights on that motor. We're scheduled to put in a new for the next two races. It's tired, but a good set up and some decent driving, we had a good night. Had a good starting spot and draw.

Drawing the pole was a big help. Channin(Tankersley), Kevin(Ramey) and Ray(Allen Kulhanek) are tough competitors. They're tough to beat every night. We got a good start and never looked back. I saw Channin show his nose a couple times in (turns) 1-2. I knew he was there. You can't make any mistakes with him there.

It's always in the back of your mind wondering if someone has found a better line when you're out leading. You just try to hit your marks, not make any mistakes and get through lapped traffic as quick as possible.

ASCS Gulf South Sprint Cars
25m Michael McNeil, 14 Channin Tankersley, 28 Tommy Bryant, 1a Kevin Ramey, 21t Ray Allen Kulhanek, 57 Jacob Lucas, 6 Dustin Gates, 76 Zane Lawrence, 51 Caleb Martin, 36 John Pate, 17 Beau Smith, 48 Cody Stacy, 17t Greg Rilat, 69 Larry Howery, 2w Dustyn Welch, 53 Andy VanBlarcum, 14L Michael Lang, 02 Harry Yerrington, f13 Cody Barksdaledns, 1 Randy Allen---dns

ASCS Sprint Car heats(top 8 in passing points redraw)
Heat 1; 1a Kevin Ramey, 14L Michael Lang, 51 Caleb Martin, 57 Jacob Lucas, 53 Andy VanBlarcum, 02 Harry Yerrington

Heat 2; 6 Dustyn Gates, 17 Beau Smith, 76 Zane Lawrence, 1 Randy Allen, f13 Cody Barksdale---dns

Heat 3; 36 John Pate, 48 Cody Stacy, 17t Greg Rilat, 69 Larry Howery, 2w Dustyn Welch---dntg

Jennings Jousts with Oakes in Limited Modified Main

Corpus Christi's JJ Jennings made the pole position pay off in the 20-lap Limited Modified main. Jennings would go wire to wire for the Saturday night sweep of the heat and feature. Much like the heat race, Jennings had Friday night's winner Craig Oakes on his tail, showing him the nose on occasion throughout the event.

As green waved on the 20-car field Jennings beat Bo Beckner into turn 1 for the lead. Oakes got in line second with Beckner, Marcus Mikulencak and Broc Bowen sorting out the top five. Beckner, Mikulencak and Bowen tried three wide for third with Bowen getting by Mikulencak for fourth. Bowen had just gotten along side Beckner when the yellow flew.

On the restart Beckner tried Oakes on the outside but Jacob Burnett, Tyler Box, Michele Pesek, Randy Bennett and Chris Shafer tangled at the back of the pack. The next restart saw Oakes show Jennings the nose in turn 1 while Bowen was able to get past Beckner for third. Lap 7 saw Oakes give Jennings another look low in turn 4.

Beckner slipped in the corner giving the spot to Mikulencak with Chase Sanchez and Eddy Ross following as yellow waved for a quick spin by Burnett. The restart was short lived as James Lee tangled with Pesek and Tom Grothues with Lee sent to the tail. Once under green the top 3 of Jennings, Oakes and Bowen broke away coming to halfway with Beckner and Eric Floyd in the top five.

As rash of caution set up a final two lap shootout to the finish that saw Oakes again trying to find an opening under Jennings while Beckner and Bowen ran wheel to wheel for third. Jennings in G&M Oilfield Services, Ace Transmission, Swenson Racing Products, 89 Motorsports, P&K Services, Extreme powered Western Flyer Chassis held Oakes off for the victory.

I saw Craig(Oakes) was there, replied Jennings. We started getting those green flag runs and I'd see him down there on the bottom. When we had that one caution I decided it was time for me to start rolling the bottom and take away his line. It seemed like a couple more laps he could have gotten by.

Starting in the front you're kind of a sitting duck. You have the guys behind you searching around. Obviously Craig found something good around the tires. Once I got down there the car felt way better. I knew if I hugged the tires that I was sitting pretty good.

We don't change much from track to track. The gear, maybe a shock but it's pretty much the same thing. I really didn't change anything from the last race in Edna. The corners here are totally different. (Turns) 1-2 are more sweeping corners where (turns) 3-4 is a tight corner, more like Edna.

We've had a tough year. Lots of torn up parts. We're down to our old body from last year. Finally to roll into the trailer with no work to do, I don't know what I'll do with myself. Our next big races will probably be at TMS dirt Track and then Ark-La-Tex when Usmts comes back down here.
post-34-0-70327400-1437945863_thumb.jpg

Limited Modifieds
26g JJ Jennings, 91 Craig Oakes, 56 Broc Bowen, 175 Bo Beckner, 5s Marcus Mikulencak, bd2 Eddy Ross, bd3 Johnny Torres, 174 Mickey Helms, 90k Dustin Butcher, 63s Chase Sanchez, 03 Chris Shafer, 18 Michele Pesek, 87 Sherrill Lewis, 22 Randy Bennett, 25 Tyler Box, 11t Tom Grothues, 3 Eric Floyd, 563 James Lee, 04 Jacob Burnett, 15 Andy VanBlarcum, 23 Michael Gay---dns

Limited Modified heats
Heat 1; 26g JJ Jennings, 91 Craig Oakes, 5s Marcus Mikulencak, 56 Broc Bowen, 90k Dustin Butcher, 174 Mickey Helms, bd2 Eddy Ross, 22 Randy Bennett, 18 Michele Pesek, bd3 Johnny Torres, 04 Jacob Burnett

Heat 2; 175 Bo Beckner, 63s Chase Sanchez, 3 Eric Floyd, 25 Tyler Box, 11t Tom Grothues, 563 James Lee, 87 Sherrill Lewis, 23 Michael Gay, 03 Chris Shafer, 15 Andy VanBlarcum

Rachui Races to E-Mod Throwdown win

The 10-lap Econo-Mod Throwdown, sponsored by by raceontexas.com, got off to a wild start when the field wadded up on the front stretch under the flag stand. Nathan Rachui led the next start into turn 1 followed by Mason Casteneda, David Grobe, Pat Flanagan and Amelia Perez. Miguel Mendoza jr. quickly began picking off spots after drawing a last row starting spot.

With Casteneda pressuring N. Rachui for the lead, Mendoza jr. took over fourth after Flanagan pulled off at the midway point. Perez and Jordon Sandoval got together for a mid-race caution after contact with James Lee who was sent to the tail. On the restart Mendoza jr. got by Grobe for third, then Casteneda for second. N. Rachui held off Mendoza jr. the final lap to take home the win.

Raceontexas.com Econo-Mods Throwdown
25r Nathan Rachui, 39 Miguel Mendoza jr., 1 Mason Casteneda, 69 Jordon Sandoval, 37 Andy VanBlarcum, 54 Travis Penny, 5a Eric Rachui, 21 James Lee, 36 Amelia Perez, 40 Miguel Mendoza sr., 38 Eddy Lopez, 12 David Grobe, 58 Pat Flanagan, 127 Jerry Walters, 16 Chris Robeau, 5 Ciara Smith

Hesler Handed Limited Late Model Honors

In the final race of a long night, Andrew Hesler(San Antonio) was awarded the Limited Late Model win after tempers flared. Landon Farquar got out front early trailed by Ron Sprayue, John Owens, Gary Hunter and Aaron Leddy. Farquar had built several leads until a lap 12 caution brought the field together again.

Sprayue got inside Farquar to get the lead after running door to door on the back stretch. As Farquar tried to duck under Sprayue coming off turn 4 Farquar got into Sprayue's quarter panel. Sprayue half spun, took a trip through the infield going airborne over a tractor tire and caught Farquar going into to turn 3. Sprayue speared Farquar sending him around bringing out the caution.

Both were shown the black flag, both refused to heed it and stopped on the front straight. Sprayue exited his car after tossing the steering wheel and confronted Farquar, who stayed in his car. Security was called in and order, on the track, was restored. Track officials decided to throw the checkers as the remainder of the field went by under yellow giving Hesler in the Development Systems International, Kraft Fitness, Clayton Homes, Spank CTS, Murray Global, 8g-Diddy Motorsports, Clear Tech Solutions, Suspension Concepts of San Antonio, five1seven Designs, Chevy the victory.

Limited Late Models
1x Andrew Hesler, 14 Gary Hunter, 15b John Owens, 10 Landon Sowder, 44 Billy Ragsdale, 93 Aaron Leddy, 9 Pedro Arce, 42 Ron Sprayue---BF(rough driving), 77 Landon Farquar---BF(rough driving), 8 Todd Cook---dns, 18 Shane Moore---dns

Limited Late Model heats
Heat 1; 77 Landon Farquar, 15b John Owens, 8 Todd Cook, 44 Billy Ragsdale, 1x Andrew Hesler, 18 Shane Moore

Heat 2; 42 Ron Sprayue, 14 Gary Hunter, 10 Landon Sowder, 93 Aaron Leddy, 9 Pedro Arce

Oakes Outruns Street Stock Field

Edward Oakes(San Antonio) went wire to wire in the 20-lap Street Stock feature making it look easy. Of course it wasn't. Oakes quickly grabbed the lead as the 14-car field took the green pursued by Frank Okruhlik, Rene Mares, Jason Fitch and Kenneth Densman. Fitch worked his way up to second before the first caution for a blown engine and fire in Jarrod Stepanski's car.

Back to green and Oakes quickly pulled away as they came to halfway with Fitch, Okruhlik, Jarrett Barber and Michael Moseley in the top five. The three-car battle for sixth ended up tangling on front stretch for a caution. Fitch gave Oakes his best look on the restart, but Oakes held him off and was able to ease away to the checkers in the Zarbocks Automotive, Performance Racing Products, All In Designs, Swenson Racing Products, Best Engines, Express Chassis.

Street Stocks
53 Edward Oakes, 23 Jason Fitch, 19 Jarrett Barber, 3 Michael Moseley, 7 Frank Okruhlik, 22 Rene Mares, 33 Mereda Major, 31 Jeff Hendricks, 17 Crystal Smith, 88 DJ Schroat, 34h Michael Harp, 75 Kenneth Densman, 82 Jarrod Stepanski, 53 Jason Zarbock, bd1 Craig Oakes---dns

Street Stock heats
Heat 1; 7 Frank Okruhlik, 53z Jason Zarbock, 75 Kenneth Densman, 3 Michael Moseley, 33 Mereda Major, 82 Jarrod, Stepanski, bd1 Craig Oakes, 88 DJ Schroat

Heat 2; 53 Edward Oakes, 22 Rene Mares, 34h Michael Harp, 19 Jarrett Barber, 23 Jason Fitch, 31 Jeff Hendricks, 17 Crystal Smith

Koehne King of Pure Stocks

In a race that saw the early leaders have some sort of trouble during the 20-lap event, Lonnie Koehne ended up in the Winners Circle. It was an exciting start as 23-cars took the green for the Pure Stock feature. Last nights winner Dakota Heinaman charged up to go three wide with Jamie Dear and Wesley Maurer. It was Maurer coming to the line leading with Heinaman, Dear, Mason Casteneda and Chris Holle in pursuit.

Heinaman got along side Maurer on lap 2 and was able get the top spot on lap 3. Maurer had problems and began to fade giving way to Johnny Westfall for third. It was three wide on lap 4 for fourth between Maurer, Holle and Koehne who took the spot. Up front Dear was getting by Heinaman to lead lap 8.

After a quick yellow for a car over the turn 3 hill things got real interesting. On the restart Westfall got into Heinaman sending him around. Heinaman got his spot back with Westfall hitting the tail. On the next restart Heinaman and Koehne slugged it out for second trading some paint before Koehne got the spot. Koehne then began putting some heat on Dear for the lead looking high on the back stretch.

Jon Hutchinson had his something break with Casteneda and Westfall spinning in the fluid. Koehne used the high side again as green waved again to get by Dear, who then pitted. Heinaman was next to fall off the pace and pit. The new top five showed Koehne, Logan Schunka, Daniel Waer, Holle and Cheryl Gray in the top five with Koehne holding a good lead. Koehne was able to hold that advantage to the checkers.

Pure Stocks
67L Lonnie Koehne, 07 Logan Schunka, 51 Daniel Waer , 1 Glynn Barber jr., 24 Chris Holle, 7 Jesse Sandoval, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 29 James Jennings, 58 Cheyloh Flanagan-Brodnax, j87 John Mikulencak, 72 Brenda Jennings, 28 Bob Trent man, 441 Dakota Heinaman, 777 Nathan Corpus, 73 John Ramirez, 15d Jamie Dear, 28m Mason Casteneda, 9 Johnny Westfall,14 Jon Hutchinson, 4m Gary McDonnel, 15 Wesley Maurer, 38 Joshua Sewell, 74 Tommy King

Pure Stock heats
Heat 1; 15d Jamie Dear, 441 Dakota Heinaman, 51 Daniel Waer, 07 Logan Schunka, 1 Glynn Barber jr, 72 Brenda Jennings, 29 James Jennings, 73 John Ramirez

Heat 2;15 Wesley Maurer, 58 Cheyloh Flanagan-Brodnax, 9 Johnny Westfall, 4m Gary McDonnel, bd4 Cheryl Gray, 38 Joshua Sewell, 14 Jon Hutchinson, 74 Tommy King---dntg

Heat 3; 28m Mason Casteneda, 24 Chris Holle, 67L Lonnie Koehne, 28 Bob Trentman, 777 Nathan Corpus, j87 John Mikulencak, 7 Jesse Sandoval

Racing continues at Shady Oaks Speedway, August 8th for a make up race. For complete schedule visit www.shadyoakspeedway.com or their facebook page.

First...Thank you Reb for the hard work you do. I saw you drive off and didn't get to chat with ya but to be honest I wouldn't have much to say except I got lucky. I'm going to say this....I want to apologize to the fans and the track for how our class has performed. I don't know what it is but I hope we can reel it in before we don't have a home at all. I didn't like winning that way for one. two..due to time and cars I'm sure that's why we got stopped. I really hope our class doesn't kill itself. The on track incident was a racing deal and happens in racing, but we have bigger issues that we need to work out. Our class should put on a better show by car counts alone and being how unique our class is we don't have any wiggle room to not be performing like we are expected to or what our reputation as a class has been known for. I'm not saying our class has horrible drivers. But we all need to revamp our prgrams our ourselves to put on a better show however that means. Yes I spun in the heat because i broke a shock. I was embarrassed. I hate spinning out. Yes I got spun and then I spun myself in the feature and again I hate bringing out a caution because I missed my mark or setup or a combination of the two I don't know. But our show should be better and ill leave it at that. I do want to thank all of the support our class has received and hope we can revitalize before the end of the season.

And this isnt a rant about my class..Its concern for our future before I or some of us find ourselves needing to run in another class. Might have to put out my resume to find a seat. lol..anyone hiring? I joke.

Drew , you are 100% right. I sit in the stands and I try to listen to what people say about the races. I'll leave it at that. I think the problem with Late Models as well as the Limited Late Models is nothing more than geography. Texas and South Texas in particular is Sportsmod/Limited mod country. After that is Pure and Street Stock. Then you look at how many start a feature and how many finish and the same three classes have more running at the end. I have a friend who lives in Mississippi and there Late Models rule. He lived here for a couple years and was surprised at how many Sportsmods we had.Right now down here Sports -mods rule.

Arob... I agree with you. We have at least 20 cars in the area for our class. and nothing against our guys. Just trying to figure out what they need to do or what they want to do so we can have the field of cars and the show we know we are capable of. I'm not the best nor do I claim to be half decent. But I will say we need to clean up the show. And that includes me. I need to be better. The carnage has been unbelievable tho. And at the end of a long night being the last class we should have an added mentality of" the fans that have hung around need to see the best possible show this late in the night". But this is my opinion and I'm sure Ill catch the wrath. But my honest feeling is we are killing ourselves.

Yep! Started late, went late and probably lost some new fans.

We all know reason it started late...and im sure they didnt loose fans bc of that...they would have lost more fans due to dust every where but they fixed that issue and made a super track surface!!!

Archived