The Tracks and Strips

Budman

Trans-Tex filter service on Sunbelt Dr sits right in the middle of the old track. If you drive on Sunbelt Dr you will notice that you are in a "PIT". It sits lower than Austin Hwy. That track had stands on both sides and the pits were on the outside of the track. No flag stand. Only 3 cut off telephone polls on the infield side at the starting line that the flagman could get behind if needed. It really wasnt much good for protection. I remember one night my dad wraped his car around them. Actually he was push into after he pissed Joe Shafer off by bumping him one to many times going into 1 and 3. He had it coming (my dad that is)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Outside,

I think I misled you. I had it placed too far northeast in my mind. Been too many years and San Antonio has changed so much.

Tom and Papa,

So it was on Austin Hwy, between Wursbach and Eisenhauer? I sure it was on the south side of Austin Hwy though, right? I remember coming in from Austin, and we would always turn left into the parking lot from Austin Hwy.

Oh, and shame on Norman for makin Joe so mad ....................... you know that kind of thing NEVER happens NOW! :lol::lol::lol:

PAPA,

Thanks for letting us know the location of Pan Am 1; It wasn't where I had heard, but close.

Outside,

I actually only went to Double Eagle one time, and it was in 1968. I was living in San Antonio with my mom and siblings waiting to go to the Phillippines where my dad was stationed. A neighbor went once in a while with his kid who was my age, and he took me along. But I have driven by the site a zillion times, every year it gets harder to find.

I remember James Lothringer as a car owner for a limited late model at Hwy 16 that was about unbeatable with Danny Stewart behind the wheel.

Ya know, if there is any interest, I could charge up the digital camera, and wander out to Double Eagle and see what I can find to take a picture of................

Let's see, Tex,

A 1/4 mile asphalt track that ran from August, 1947 to 1954.

There was also a 1/2 mile dirt oval from about 1947 to 1951. The dirt oval was actually built as a horse track.

The location was at Old Spanish Trail and South Main, and a Hotel was built over the site.

And last, but not least, it was the site of A.J. Foyt's first win. Happened July 11, 1953, in a trophy dash.

Did I pass?

• 4 weeks later...

This is the oval track at Houston Motorsports Park, on Mt. Houston Road, off of US-59 (East-Tex Frwy) in north east Houston. It is a 3/8 mi asphalt oval. It is said to be the nicest of the asphalt short tracks in Texas. I invite all you Houston folks to come on here and tell us more about it.

post-30-1134325665_thumb.jpg

In this picture you can see South Texas Speedway in upper right and the remains of Cuddihay Speedway just to the left of center. This is the track where Terry Labonte got his start in full size cars from 1/4 midgets. Terry and Rick Rapp had some awesome battles in the hobby stocks in the early 70's. Just to the left of the old dirt track is the old drag strip at Cuddihay.

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&...isti%7ctexas%7c

• 4 weeks later...

Used to be Big H Speedway - dirt. went to asphalt in 92? Almost closed up once the current owners David and Graham Baker bought the entire track. Built a 1/8 mi drag stip off of the backstretch. Are now extending it another 200 feet into the pits. Adding pits on the backside of the pressbox so that the pit gate and acccess road are all behind a fence that starts at the track office off of turn 4. Talks of possibly adding a road course for the Houston SCCA guys. Pit road has been extending to all the way against the inside retaining wall on the front stretch. and added some on the backside as well to accommodate the ASA series race that ran in 2003? (Televised on the then new Speed Channel) NASCAR AutoZone Elite Series has run 3 consecuitive seasons here as well.

• 2 years later...

The track runs north-south with the grandstands on the west side. The pit area is outside turns one and two on the south end, with a pit stop area/paved pit road in the infield. The backstretch curves outward some to create a D shape, almost. Spectator parking is on the north side and ticket purchasing and grandstand entrance is at the northwest corner of the spdwy. The track entrance is on N Lake Houston Pkwy (aka E Mount Houston Rd) about a mile and a half west of E Beltway 8, and about four and one half miles east of US Hwy 59 N via E Mount Houston Rd (aka N Lake Houston Pkwy). I much prefer the N Lake Houston Pkwy off E Beltway 8 (aka Sam Houston Pkwy) route, even if a little farther. And yes, unless recently changed, a very nice facility. Not hard to find as long as you know what road you're on.

sure would like to see some events there again. what a massive facility.

kinda funny with all the buzz over TMS many people other than those us who have been around awhile even know about TWS.

Amen Brother!

Was there for the first Grand National race in December, 1969. Bobby Issac took the honors at that one!

This is a really nice track. We had a photo shoot out there for our Ford Lightning Club (HALO). I had opportunity to run my Ford Lightning around there. A very nice smooth track. Well maintained. I would love to see a field of midgets race there.

Archived