SAS - Time for a name change?

NickHolt

Terry Dickerson has been wondering aloud whether it's time to change SAS's name for next season. San Antonio Raceway and San Antonio Speedway have names so similar that many are confused when they see advertising for one or the other.

I'm pretty sure that Terry would love to land a major sponsor to name the track after. You know - Valero Speedway or Toyota Speedway or even H.E.B Speedway.

Of course, there are other considerations as well. The one good thing about the current name is that people know in which city the speedway is located.

When it was first built, the place was called Highway 16 Raceway. It has also been called San Antonio International Speedway and San Antonio Raceway.

Terry is interested in what you have to say, so let's hear what you think. Any suggestions?

Nick Holt

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" I also like the simple aproach...Alamo Raceway...anything but Dickerson Speedway"

Typical, I think it creates bad vibes to name one track after one that is Defunct, Alamo Dragway behind the circle track. The issue is valid though, people do often get confused between the two. And no RiverCity Raceway, theres got to be a thousand of them. Highway 16 raceways sounds kinda hillbilly, doesnt seem like a name fitting to a high banked half mile oval. Theres got to be a catchy name there somewhere. San Antonio Motor Speedway? Alamo City Motor Speedway? Toyota Speedway at San Antonio :blink: , hmm, maybe not.

I think landing sponsors for the main event(s) and leaving the speedway regionally named is the best idea. That way people still know where the track is, but they also know who pays for the racing happening on the track. That may actually be one shortcoming of THR is "where the heck is thunder hill"? Everyone here knows where THR is, but to a local, it could be 10 miles from their home and they would have no idea.

Unless you could get a regional sponsor like "San Antonio Express Speedway" "San Antonio Spurs Speedway" "The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Speedway (maybe a little long :D )" ... or whatever

All the big tracks are all called by their city and their races named for sponsors, as far as I'm aware.

Edited by KahneFan

I know the majority of the people I've talk to in the past about San Antonio Speedway said, they only knew about Alamo Dragway, they didn't even realize the roundy-round track was there next to it, neither did that ambulance guy last week. May he should open up the drag strip and name it Alamo Motorsports Park.

Are we worried about a Name. How about telling us whether he plans on continuing as a NASCAR SANCTIONED track or not.

Changing the name is almost a non-issue if you don't care to be a NASCAR Sanctioned track.

Heck, someone else suggested changing it to a dirt track... Almost sounds like a GREAT IDEA, he could call it SOUTH TEXAS DUST BOWL. The moto could be "HOME OF WHERE EVERYTHING BLOWS AWAY!!!!"

I'm j/k obviously, but Terry D. asking for ideas on the name change. How about whether drivers want to run under NASCAR or not? Again this to me is more important. We hear rumors of this and it makes one wonder the truth behind it... I'm not wanting to blast Terry D. or anyone else, just asking for someone to give us clarifation on whats important...