San Antonio Speedway property has officially been sold

NickHolt

Earlier this month, the remaining 28 acres that was once San Antonio Speedway - the part that the track actually occupied - was sold.  The new owner(s) have not announced their intentions, but from what I can gather, they are looking to put up a large service station like the large stations that are similar to Bucee's.  The other 30-something acres to the north were sold to City Public Service several months ago.

This should pretty much put any rumors of someone restoring the track to rest....

Nick

9 minutes ago, NickHolt said:

Earlier this month, the remaining 28 acres that was once San Antonio Speedway - the part that the track actually occupied - was sold.  The new owner(s) have not announced their intentions, but from what I can gather, they are looking to put up a large service station like the large stations that are similar to Bucee's.  The other 30-something acres to the north were sold to City Public Service several months ago.

This should pretty much put any rumors of someone restoring the track to rest....

Nick

It was bound to happen, and a bit surprised that it took this long. Did CPS ever build/do anything with the part that they bought? They probably passed on buying the track footprint, because of the costs of remediation. I'm sure that the pit area would be classified as "toxic". My brother retired from General Electric Jet Engines 4 years ago. Right before he retired, GE bought all of the acreage of Tri-County Speedway, located about 10 miles north of the main plant. They turned that property into an office complex, removing most of the office workers away from the engine plant. He said that it cost more for the remediation then what they paid for the land/track. He told me about how many truckloads of contaminated dirt they had to remove, before anything could be built, I just don't remember now. The track was a 1/2 mile high bank track. I'd bet that there was at least 30 acres for parking. Then the original track owner/builder bought another 60 acres, and built a softball complex, that had 8 diamonds, with more parking. It was quite the sports complex. All of that now sits under a GE office complex. 

So you're saying no 1/4 mile dirt track and 1/8 mile drag strip????....Asking for some people....IYKYK....A gas station is the most logical answer with all the fuel, oil and other contaminants already in that soil.....Are there any parts/memorabilia left to strip?

36 minutes ago, NickHolt said:

Nick

Thank you Jesus!!!

Yah....  I raced at Hwy-16 Raceway some in 1980 & 1981 after Meyer Speedway Closed in 1979 in Houston.   I loved racing there for sure.  Great Racers to race with.

The San Antonio area Does Need a real Good Modern Paved Oval Track For sure.....

I guess that is all but a Pipe Dream at best now.....

Hwy-16 / SAS was good to me for sure......  I loved that Place.....

Edited by metroracer

Friends, I love you all but I think we all knew when that last finished that was it. All the obstacles we all know of were way too much. 

A new HWY 16ish track would be amazing but like Nick says who is ready to take that loss? 

Appreciate the memories and enjoy the videos it is a new time in racing and I don't see anyone wanting to lose their ass based on us being race fans. If you love pavement racing, go to Houston. Owen Pittman is putting his ass and $ counting on the passion you all have. See you there 11 times this season. 

Just an interesting point to bring up, I’ll be doing some research on it. 

The speedway property is still zoned BP, Business Park. In order for a gas station to be built there it would need to be C-2. I was down there 2 weeks ago, unless signs have been posted since then the property hasn’t been assigned a date for re-zoning.

To clarify, I’m not at all saying Nick is wrong (I don’t doubt it sold) just that this may not be as final as it could be. 

IMG_2690.jpeg

IMG_2691.png

Edited by JamesHigdon

I guess you didn’t see the gas station across the street.  The zoning is out the window. That place is long gone. Let it go.   I hate to be this way. But some people jump on every wagon that comes bye.  There is no parking anymore due to the CPS substation. 

IMG_8244.thumb.png.ec47f68cc5ee1b07d9b4903c49c79c20.png

On 2/27/2024 at 11:22 AM, 24nomo said:

Reeh Partners sold to Watson Road, Partners, LLC.   The three members of Watson Road Partners, LLC are Nasruddin Mahesania, Akbarali Maredia and Naushadali Maredia.    They use an Austin Address and Jefferson Bank Financed it

I think this group put up some sort of gas station further down Hwy 16 too.

On 2/28/2024 at 9:22 PM, Realfast said:

I guess you didn’t see the gas station across the street.  The zoning is out the window. That place is long gone. Let it go.   I hate to be this way. But some people jump on every wagon that comes bye.  There is no parking anymore due to the CPS substation. 

IMG_8244.thumb.png.ec47f68cc5ee1b07d9b4903c49c79c20.png

I don't disagree with anything you're saying save for the zoning is not irrelevant. If any one around here had any fight left in them the zoning could be made an issue but we don't so we won't. I'm not at a point in my life where I'm going to give up on things, most people that remember SAS are and that is their privilege. If SAS is leveled in 6 months so be it, I'll support the next closest track and if it closes then the next one and so on.

I'm going to support I37, support all our other local tracks, keep subscribing to RaceOn and spend 2-3 days a week at the Quarter Midget tracks with my family. 

On 3/5/2024 at 1:06 PM, JamesHigdon said:

I'm going to support I37, support all our other local tracks, keep subscribing to RaceOn and spend 2-3 days a week at the Quarter Midget tracks with my family. 

Good plan, James!  

In the recent past, you have made sincere efforts - some behind the scenes and some quite publicly - to work with folks interested in restoring San Antonio Speedway to a viable facility. I sincerely applaud you for your efforts. 

Before your direct involvement, James, over the past 15 years there have been a couple dozen efforts/plans/schemes to restore/rebuild SAS in which I was directly involved to some degree or other. As we all know, most were simply pipe dreams with no legitimate chance of ever coming to fruition.

However, there were at least four instances where entities with plenty of resources approached me with their plans. I will not name them because, in each instance, I was asked to keep their identities to myself until complete plans and financial arrangements were in place.  In each case, they backed out after doing due diligence that led them to believe there was no realistic way to ever recoup their investment.

As I have always said, it would have taken someone with very, very deep pockets, an irrational love of the sport, and a willingness to never see a financial return on their investment to get it restored to its original glory,  I was hopeful that such a person was out there, but where??? 

Nick