Only 6 Cars Start F1 race in Indy

racerx

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It COULD be done. Tony right now is caught in a PR nightmare. Between the rock and the hard place. This would be an OUT for him. What he MUST do is come out of that little "we're just victims too" closet he's hiding in and take charge of the situation. Lest he be lumped in with the rest of that Euroscum that just left there, in the minds of the American racing public.

I'm interested in seeing how sincere they all are when they keep saying "Oh, we are soooo sorry this has happened, we feeel soooo sorry for our fans."

I was at the F1 race for all three days of the event. First off I can see both sides of the story. The FIA has set rules, if you don't bring the right equipment than thats just tough. On the other hand I can understand the teams perspective too, they have 14 million dollar racecars out there that are almost gaurranteed to crash with this tire. 14 mill, that means 1 car cost as much as it takes to run a top flight cup car for one and a half maybe two seasons. Another point that Trulli made was what about the fans that may be injured by flying debris at that corner. Michelin should have brought the right tire and maybe the FIA should have made a provision this time to keep the show going, I don't know, I have mixed feelings about it. I can tell you this, pretty much all of the drivers wanted to race, it was the teams that made the call. On a closing note, if you have never seen F1 in person, you don't know what your talking about when you compare it to NASCAR or IRL. The team budget, technology and level of professionalism is on a level you can not imagine. And as for the drivers, I grew racing Formula A and Super A karts with the drivers from Europe and South America, and they are on another level compared to American drivers and thats just a simple fact. Both Tavo and myself can attest to this ( I raced with Jarno Trulli and Tavo was a roomate to Barichello in Great Britan and we both still have contact with them through our old teams). I have nothing against American racing and I think our racing is a better show but facts are facts.

Bandit,

Thanks, truly for your concern. I know it is genuine. Having said that, 14 mil is a hell of a price to pay for a boat anchor. No matter who is to blame, that's about all they were good for (at least 14 of them) last Sunday afternoon, regardless of the level of technology. Perhaps you can convey my lack of sympathy to your friends. Regards.

I will say it- Thats ludicrous to say that F1 drivers are better. The cars they drive do everything but wipe their arse when they stain their drivers suit spinning in the rain on their hi-tech tires. For 14 million it should do that too. Their top drivers are no better than our top drivers. Put Schumaker in a sprint car and Kinser or Swindell will take him. Put a WoO driver in a F1 and they'll be a back marker.

I disagree about the driving ability your Mr. Mayor...those cars are the most high tech, yes, but those are the best drivers in the world. Only a few of the cup drivers, MAYBE Stewart & Gordon, could do it. MAYBE Paul Tracy from Champ and Helio, Kanaan, and Crazy Scheckter in IRL could do it. Christano DeMatta and Alex Zanardi couldn't beat their teammates in comparable equipment in F1. Juan Montoya hasn't been able to match his Champ and Indy 500 dominance over there.

Bandit is right, most people have no idea. The pressure crushes most people. Some of the teams spend $450-500 million a year for a two car team. Think about Roush times ten with just 2 cars!!! Daddy's money ain't buying one of those rides baby! Biffle would still be a test driver waiting for a chance. Micheal Andretti was a top CART car driver when IRL & Champ were one, and F1 chewed him up and spit him out. Watching Schumacher throw that bad boy ferrari around, UNREAL.

Historically, it has been accepted around the world that F1 is the top form of auto racing and if you want to be recognized as a top driver in the world, that's where you go. I have even heard cup drivers say that. That doesn't mean there isn't some kid at i-37, gordon, kinser, or a rally driver that couldn't do it or those F1 drivers could come over and beat them at thier home game. But you might be shocked. F1 is the big stage. That may be about to change over the next 10-20 years. NASCAR is just now becoming the most popular form of racing in North America. But I don't see any global thinkers/global marketing ability in the offices in Daytona.

Well Larry, I haven't seen anybody but Schumaker win in a while. Could Nascar's best hang with their best. Getting down to handfuls, I think so. It boils down to seat time in different types of cars. Do the best end up gravitating there. Possibly. But I think the backmarkers in their series would not step over here and be a champ automatically. I think their best can hang with our best and vice versa. Their cars have huge horsepower, huge tires, little weight and huge brakes, and oh yeah huge computers. All I'm saying is don't jump to the conclusion that just because they are the most high performance closed course cars that their drivers are better than everybody else. Its apples and oranges. I didn't see them all running away with all the american honors whenever they raced here. Some did, some didn't. I guess until an American does decide to go to their series and win the whole thing we will never know. Oh yeah that's right, that has been done before.

American F-1 Champs, Phil Hill '62 (Ferrari) and Andretti in '78 (Lotus).

I for one hope F-1 never gets the chance to come back...not really F-1's fault. ALL the blame is on the froggy tire company.

I love NASCAR more than anything but there is only 1 guy in Cup who could even think about F-1 and that's unfortunately Gordon. He spent 2 months with his dad in Europe as guests to Jackie Stewart in 1991. Had a 5 year deal in place to go up the ladder and chose it was too much pressue and too much of a commitment and opted for Nascar. With his success here, who's to say he made a mistake, he probably made the right choice.

We can all debate who are better but it's pointless. A great driver is a great driver...period. One fact is true, there are only a few in Cup who are in shape enough to drive an F-1 car...Richard Petty quote from 5 years ago at the Goodwood Festival.

For all the Dale Sr. fans, in 1996 he was asked if he could race anybody (dead or alive) who would it be? His anwser was not his father as we would all expect. It was Ayrton Senna. Said he thought Senna was the greatest ever.

Nope its Comanche. And believe me there are some ways that your la-la land comment hits as dead-on as it gets. But thats a whole different forum. As for the racers- I think we can agree that we both have good points, obviously mine are better than yours ;) but we'll just agree to disagree. Makes the world go 'round right. :D

Next time I'm votin for that other fella instead of you! Some guy named Unapposed I think his name was! :lol::lol::lol: I am sure you have a good seat for seeing crackpots up close and personal. And I'm not talking about at the tracks!

It's all good.

F1 drivers the best?...prolly

F1 cars the baddest?...of course

F1 fields?...terrible

F1 finishes?...lackluster at best...mostly boring

F1 qualifying?...too predictable...not so in NASCAR until that darn Newman kid lol

F1 competition?...terrible...except within one certain team

F1 worth paying to see?...once maybe...just like the spaceshuttle...shock and awe

F1 leading the way in motorsports?...sure...it's the most elite party hopping around the globe

Give me Eddy Wallace running around SAS with a pack of rabid short trackers chasing him anyday B)

Good luck this weekend...all of you REAL racers.

Archived