Only 6 Cars Start F1 race in Indy

racerx

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's Tony George's statement.

Tony's statement

Heres what you can do with your 2005 F1 ticket.

Tickets

This statement from my wife (a while back) made me think about what I would do if I had tickets. "I'll stick my foot so far up your !@# that the water on my knee will quench your thirst.

So in other words, Tony told them just to turn around, drop their pants, bend over and grab their ankles, huh? This isn't just an F-1 problem. We're talking about public perceptions. This happened at HIS facility. THE All-American racing facility. This doesn't just hurt F-1 racing, it hurts all of american racing.

Gee, no more F-1 in the US. Now there's a big loss!! :o Poor Tony, he may have to reconsile with CART yet. Oh Wait.......... NEWS FLASH------Cost of concessions goes up 25% for Brickyard 400!!(planning ahead to cover lawsuits)

I'm still trying to figure out which is(sadly) funnier. This or Bernie Ecklestone's comments about women in motorsports. Shirley Muldowney said she'd kick his ass!! LMAO I think motorsports(in general) took a giant leap sdrawkcab this weekend. :(

The only one to blame in this mess is Michelin.

The FIA could not allow the replacement tire to be used, it would be unfair to the Bridgestone guys.

Ditto for the chicain. Bridgestone had no problems whatsoever with the track in its configuration.

FIA was completely and totally correct with the decisions they made. It was not FIA's fault that Michelin stepped on it's wee-wee.

Michelin, that is who is to blame, peirod, end of statement.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

I got this off of Jayski.com..old news but...kinda ironic huh?

Goodyear out? Michelin in? Goodyear has been a stalwart on the NASCAR tours for decades, but rumblings are getting stronger that NASCAR is considering a major change in its tire-supplier contract. Michelin is rumored to be in line for the exclusive deal in the next year or two. NASCAR people are still talking about Goodyear running out of tires for last year's 24 Hours of Daytona, a faux pas that was probably a key in the France family's switching to Hoosiers for this year's 24 Hours.(Winston Salem Journal)(1-27-2005)

Sarge,

I think this is where the terms blame and responsibility diverge. You can blame what happened on Michelin, but F1 is responsible for producing and presenting the race program.

Do you say,"OK, Michelin it is your fault that we are in these shoes, We are going to cut off our nose to spite our face and run 6 cars."

Seems to me that the smart thing to have done would have been say we are going to make these changes in the interest of safety, but it will cost you in the form of a fine, a rule change, or something in the future. Then you solve the problem, maybe you change over to a sole provider tire, or maybe you say to the tire maker that you might be sponsoring those cars, but if they refuse to run your tire because of safety or performance they will be allowed to run bridgestones on their car.

Rookie49

I think this is where the terms blame and responsibility diverge.

I disagree. Greatly. F1 is not the FIA. FIA is the governing body of F1, F1 is the series, FIA sanctions the events.

FIA has to follow the rules. It HAS to. They are the rules body. Nowhere in the rules does it state that the course can be changed after the weekend starts (and I will bet a million bucks that once a track is FIA certified, it can't be changed without FIA's permission, with out losing it's certification).

And how could it change the course? The course that was presented to them was the exact same course that they had raced on for five years, with no changes. Bridgestone manged to bring a tire that could race on the course, as is. How is if fair; how could the FIA even conceive of allowing the track to be changed? On what grounds? A tire manufacture stepped on it's wee-wee? Not in a million years. Bridgestone had a tire that would out perform it's rival at that section of the track. Change the track to slow all the cars there, inconceivable.

What about the other batch of tires that were flown in? Well, same deal. The rules state that you must race on the tires you qualify with. Period. Is it fair to the Bridgestone guys to have the rubber of the competitors changed after qualifing? No, it is not, and therefor the FIA did the absolute right thing and disallowed those tires. It had to, or otherwise it would have been a farce.

And neither Bridgestone nor Ferrari had any obligations to allow the chicain and the non-points status it would have brought. They, the Bridgestone shod teams, did everything right. They deserved to race on the track as presented, and under the terms contracted, i.e. they receive points for positions finished. I don't blaim them a bit. It was not their problem, nor are they under any obligation to accomidate anyone outside of the rules.

The other teams could have run the race. They could have maintained slower speeds through turn 13. They choose not to do the only option that was available to them. Why, because it would have looked bad to be 100 MPH slower than Bridgestone.

Blame and responsibility lie directly at Michilen's feet. In complete totality. If I was Tony George, I would own a sizable chunk of a tire company before it was all said and done. And perhaps an F1 team or two. I know my lawyer would be a very, very busy man.

FIA is blameless and holds no responsibility. F1 had it's hands tied, as it has to abid by FIA rules. Bridgestone and the teams that ran them, are blameless and had no reponsibility to insure their competitors safety or participation.

Michelin. Only Michelin is to be blamed and held responisble for the debacle that was the US F1 race yesterday.

Again if I was Tony Goerge, I would reunite with CART, then I would tell everyone that demands their money back to call the president of Michelin. And supply them with the number to call. Hell, I would supply the phone with which to call. Throw in a free pizza to call in the middle of the night. Anything, as long as Michelin gets what it deserves.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Sarge,

If someone wanted to sue someone over what happened who would they sue. My bet is that F1A not michelin is the entity that was responsible for putting the show on. I imagine that Michelin does not have an obligation to make sure that F1A fields an adequate slate of cars. F1 is the only entity that owes anyone anything. Kind of like at 1-37 speedway. If American racer misses a shipment of tires and because of it no racers show up on a Friday night, who owes the fans a show or the money back, American racer or I-37. Bottom line is this has nothing to do with what caused it, it has to do with who is responsible for the final decision to supply the paying fans with a 6 car race. That was F1 not Michelin.

Couldn't the Michelin teams have started on the qualified tires (as per rules) and made a pit stop to change for the new ones that were flown in? Maybe a 20-30 second penalty at best.

Would this have been a viable solution?

Mel

All this finger pointing is totally lost on me if I'm a ticket holding race fan up in the Indiana area. I gotta figure SOMEONE owes me a race at IMS, and SOON. Here's a great opportunity for some American racing organization to step up to the plate and offer to honor my ticket. AND if Tony George is smart, he'll start looking around and try to put together something.

The Ecklestone party is over

They pop the pretty balloons

And take away their moon

It was suposed to actually be "a race' here in the U.S.

Everywhere else...they wouldn't even notice the car count...the bubbly pours hours before the race...and six becomes twelve...becomes twenty four...and the potium is to help them visualise who actually crossed the finish line first,second,third...seeing they missed it anyway.

Man that must have been a dandy of a race. :P

None of what happened should be a surprise to anyone, considering the 3 ring Bernie E circus that F1 has become.

Ecclestone attitude and ego cause a lot of the problems, coupled with the people he surrounds himself with.

Ya'll may know or not, but Indy has a shop in the pit area called the Magnaflux shop during races. All Indy car suspension pieces and other components are required to be crack checked periodically, and this shop makes it easy to get stuff turned around quickly. An old friend of mine from the Military has worked the month of May at this shop for about the last 25 years, using his leave time, and now as a civilian, a leave of absence from work.

They were asked to man it during the first F1 race at Indy. and Bernie sent one of his idiots to tell them how they wanted things done. All the mag shop staff walked after two days of this guys crap. Most haven't been back.

Here is a great story about Bernie's staff; He has a head of security who is a self-absorbed jerk. They have special passes and entry gates they bring with them.

A lady was having a problem with her badge, and the gate attendant could care less. She asked to see the security supervisor. He stormed over there, asked the attendant what was going on, and then walked over to the lady and asked her point-blank: "Who the F--- do you think you are, bothering me?"

The lady responded, "I am Mary Hulman-George; I own this track, and I want to see Mr. Ecclestone in my office in 10 minutes."

I'd loved to been a fly on the wall during that meeting.

Now thats funny Tom.

You have so many stories that you could write about 5,000 books. Maybe thats why they call you father time. :) I always try to get a few stories out of you whenever your at the track.

Could Tony George be that smart???

- Run the GP course with IRL

- Free ticket to whoever came to F1

- More Danica on the end of summer holiday

- More Danica

- More Danica

- Build a swimming pool in the infield so people could gawk at Danica in a bikini during the week...post practice and pool schedule...TSZ will sponsor the "Pool Cam"

- Sell the TV, extra tixs, and concessions

- It's not like he has to rent the track

Budman for President

Mel for VP

Archived