Only 6 Cars Start F1 race in Indy

racerx

Michelin's deemed to dangerous...all the Michelin teams wanted to add a chicane in Indy turn 1...denied...they parked in protest...what a disaster...

My opinion: F1 is done in the USA

Fans throwing trash on the track...lawsuits to follow

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I can tell there were only 7 cars that dropped out. So only 13 were going to run. Also read that they had the replacement tires flown in but F-1 wouldn't let them use them. Anybody know if it was all the French teams that threw up the white flags and said we aren't going to race.

TD,

You just described perfectly above what I've thought about F-1 for many years. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Sounds like they just proved our perception of them to be all too accruate. Would like to find out which teams refused to race, drivers and sponsors though. Wouldn't want to accidentially buy one of their products.

There where 20 cars entered and quailified into the race, out of those 20 cars, a total of 18 of those cars' respective teams leaders agreed to add a chicane to slow the cars down going into the turn that was causing the tire problems, ferrari (the remaining two cars) was the only team that did not agree to allow a chicane to be added. Formula None also has a rule that the teams must run the race on the same tires they qualified with, Michilen has a cargo plane full of tires flown in over night from europe so that the teams using there tires could be safe, F-1 again refused. FIA said that if a chicane was added the race would not be officially scored. F-1's official response was that the teams using michilen tires could just slow down in this particular corner, the teams replied that this was obviously still a saftey risk as they would be getting passed by cars moving almost 100 mph faster then them. 18 of the twenty cars registered where not going to grid for the race, all ended up griding but the 14 cars with michilens pulled off after the pace lap, leaving (convenietly enough for F-1) the ferrais and two back marker teams, the series points leader, also the pollsitter for the race, didnt race and neither did number two. I hope yall watched it, that will be the last USGP for a LONG time. Eurocentric, cocky ...

I found this quote from an anonymous French F1 team... "Nous sommes tous [ les équipes françaises ] désolés mais nous donnons vers le haut ces pneus de Michelin ne nous permettons pas de nous emballer nous rendons. Veuillez acheter plus de chesse et le pâté vous remercient beaucoup." Pretty powerful says alot...

now that isn't right ...nick if i'm always apologizing to the baptist , somebody needs to apologize to the french?

Just because they choose to turn left and RIGHT, that doesn't mean it isn't racing. Those cars are the most technilogical advanced cars in the world. Put the remote down and step away from the NASCAR... I promise the world won't stop spinning. Some of those NASCAR drivers should take some notes from the F1 guys. They could learn a lot from a race car driver.

Tim

F1 will fix it.

Tim I think the damage is done and pretty severe... Just by looking at different reports on websites around the world they nearly had a riot at the ticket office during the race and after, the track's general manager has said they are under no obligation to bring them back next year. It doesnt look very good... I found this on a New Zealand website http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/593080/... The first paragraph says it all...

Formula One has struggled to win over the United States since a grand prix in Phoenix 14 years ago sold fewer tickets than an ostrich race across town.

Leave it to the French to screw things up! :angry: I for one like F-1, the technical aspect is simply amazing. The funny thing for Michelin is has known the track configuation for the last 5 years, nothing has changed. Sad day for F1, what a bunch of pansy idiots. The decline is upon them.

Formula One has struggled to win over the United States since a grand prix in Phoenix 14 years ago sold fewer tickets than an ostrich race across town.

And the ostrich race across town was promoted by Donald Teague!

I think F1 is done in the US, for a while anyway...they have a lot of internal problems and the car manufacturers are talking about bolting in 2007-8 already anyway.

That's too bad it couldn't catch on in the USA. I lived in Europe for 6 years and am headed back (Germany) this Friday and I loved watching it. Unfurtunately, there is only room for one NASCAR in America.

Tim

Archived