Meyer Speedway 2005

txtom

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found this website and thread. I've been looking for info on Supermodifieds from Texas for awhile. I love the photos from Meyers. We use to race with the Texas Supermodfied Club out of Houston in Mississippi ans Alabama and also at the "Liberty Bell 300" at Meyers. We had a CAE Sprint Car and still race Sprint cars today. We ran the LB in the early '70's three or four times with Bill Roynon of Tampa, Fl and Royce Whitlock of West Monroe, La. driving. I remember one time, Roynon had a multiple lap lead and we broke a ring and pinion with 9 laps to go. I think he also lead the race some another year. I have this picture of two Texans racing side by side at Five Flags Speedway in Pensacola, Fl. The #30 our car. I would love to see any other pictures from Meyers, the LB 300 and from the Texas Supermodied Club,

post-3-1167354774_thumb.jpg

Rocketracer,

Look around in this history section, there are quite a few pictures of old supers from the 60's and 70's that raced around these parts.

If you are talking about Texans at Five Flages in the early '70s, without even seeing the photo, I'm betting one of them is Niedecken, #99. Right?

Oophs, now that I see the pic, guess not. I'll have to think about this one. Thanks Rocketracer! :)

No, I just updated my other post to show just the one picture. The #14 should be an easy one. I've looked around the website at all of the picture but would still like to see more. One day I'm going to scan all of our hundreds of pictures onto the computer so I can share those. I would really like photos of the Texas Supermodified club ("Houston Modified Association") racing in the south. There are some pictures of them on Retrorockets from racing some of then did up north.

Sorry, just getting back on here since this morning. Had to make a run to town. You just wouldn't believe how bad the traffic was in Marble Falls today! :lol:

Seriously, good to hear from you Rocketracer. We'd all love to see some more of your photos. Photos from that era and type of racing are hard to come by anymore. I hope you'll decide to share them with us.

Welcome aboard!

Regarding the photo, I'm not sure. Being from Austin at the time, I didn't get to spend much time around Meyer. Neiltps or Txtom or Gingerbreadman might know. If GBM is who I think he is he raced at Meyer around then.

there are some more "super"pictures on the "miss chicken" website , look under " miss.history" section then get on the asphalt section , i don't know how many pictures there are but many are drivers and cars from the real era of supermodified racing ,should bring back some memories they did for me! B)

Well, looks like no one is going to take a guess on the drivers in the picture. The #30, out of Mobile, Alabama, is driving by Jerry Mann and the #14 is either dad Jim or son James McElreath. Didn't Mann run some USAC sprints like James? I remember an orange #12 Sprint Car, is that correct? Is he still around the Houston area?

Also, a new Supermodified history site is being created by Mobile area freelance racing reporter, Gerald Hodges. It is titled after the "King of the Supermodifieds" Gene Tapia at www.genetapiaracing.com. Gerald is seeking stories and photos on any and all Super drivers for his website.

Rocket - I am in the Houston area, and while I am not well connected with local racing history, none of the names you mentioned sound familiar. You might post your question to the Houston Raceway Park message board - www.houstonraceway.com/forums, in the dirt track section.

McElreath is from Arlington, although he raced in the Houston area numerous times.

While James JR died years ago, Jim SR still lives up there; I believe it was North Cooper street where his shop was. There is a park next to his property named after Jim JR.

Is there a possible link between Jerry Mann and the Ed Mann that is racing at HRP now? Maybe someone over in the Houston area can add to this.

I came across a website that has video from the Tampa Fairgrounds in 1974 linked from another message board. Looking at the video, I saw the same or similar McElreath #14 that is in the picture I posted above. A poster on that MB said it was James in the car. It was either 1973 or 74 that Jerry Mann would have driven our car, so I guess that would be James in the car in the picture above. Didn't his dad run #23 some? I'm pretty sure that they ran two cars on pavement with us some. Budman, I assume that the Jerry Mann (#10) shown in your drivers picture on another post, would be the same one that drove for us? From what I remember, he looks the same, just a little younger in your picture. Oh yeah, the video website I mentioned is www.mashthegas.tv, look under the Vintage Open Wheel section.

Didn't his dad run #23 some?

I saw Jim SR run #23 in a USAC Silver Crown Race at the Indiana State Fairgrounds Mile in May, 1986.

Incidently, for those interested, James Sr, who is now about 78, spends all his time taking care of his wheelchair bound wife; I seem to remember a walking or biking accident.

Jim himself also has had a fight with leukemia, which at last word had gone into remission.

And besides his son Jim JR, who died in a crash at Winchester Speedway in Indiana in 1977, he also lost a daughter years ago.

• 1 month later...

Anyone interested in a DVD of Playland Park Speedway and Meyerland Speedway, IM or email me with your contact info. It's a bunch of home movie footage shot in the 50's in 8mm. There was no sound, so they've overdubbed some oldies music and Charles did some comentary. I think it came out real good, I am going to burn some DVD's , you'll see it isn't professional, but it is pretty cool. If any of you get the Houston/Heights Tribune, I am helping Sharon Lauder put together some articles to run on Playland and Meyerland Speedways. It should come out this spring, when I get some exact dates on the print I will let you know. I am mainly providing photos and names and dates and she is writing the articles, like I said when I get some exact dates of the print I will let you know.

P.S. There is also newer footage from the 60's and 70's, there is some of old Almeda Speedway, some from Moody andClarey, and some breif shots from old Houston Dragway off of Gulf Freeway.

• 2 months later...

Here is a few Jim & James pics. The old pic of Jim was autographed by Jim, Gordon Woolley, Cotton Farmer & Shady Mcquarter. From a WoO event @ the Bowl late eightys early ninties. The later two Cotton and Shady are no longer with us. Race in Peace!

post-3842-1179264015_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1179264052_thumb.jpg

post-3842-1179264092_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

The remaining asphalt is what's left of the "Crazy 8 Track". Those boys used an X in the center of the infield and connected to the front and back straights. After about two laps, that intersection got pretty busy.

I raced Broncos (another name for stock cars) at Meyer. The racing groove was anywhere from the bottom of the turns to a point about half way up the banking. this held true for the Modifieds as well as the Broncos. The preferred groove was about half way up the banking. We had a lot of fun and yes, I probably would do it again.

When you took the pic of the back straight, you were standing about the spot where Bubba Ligitino (sp) lost his life. I knew Bubba and his dad, Frank, but was never sure how they spelled their last name. That was a tough pill to swallow but it's also part of racing......................

Jakdad, in the early '60s I believe it was, the flagman at Meyer was killed in a tragic accident. Might you have any details on that incident or even the flagman's name? I remember hearing of the accident but really know nothing about it, nor even his name.

Hey Mr. Budman,

The flagman that got hit didn't die. I think he broke his leg and other bumps and bruises. His name is George Tennison. After that, Ed built a platform for the flagman. George's dad,Curley took up the flagman chores after that. Curley didn't see all that well and you might have cars all over the track for a couple of laps before he threw the yellow. Curley was also known to wave the green flag on top of the front cars. Happened to me once. I thought we were going around another lap because someone was out of line. I had car hitting me in the back and running on both sides. We loved Curley anyway. And if I remember right, the 88 car hit George. I think at that time Roy Tuley drove the 88, another friend of mine. Lord, I'm glad I'm still here!

:D:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived