Meyer Speedway 2005

txtom

In '63 during practice, Modified Driver Bill Farris's # 57 Car struck the turn one wall and rolled over. My understanding is that the seat was connected to the floorboard and the seat belt was connected to the seat. The seat broke loose, and Bill came partially out of the car.

In '67, during a B Feature, on the first lap, rookie Bronco Driver Martin "Bubba" Ligotino's # 54 Car crashed and flipped on the back straightaway exiting turn two. From what I understand, the seat and belts were properly connected, but the old belt had a very hard to see tear under the floorboard, and force from the crash/flip finished the tear and Bubba was thrown from the car and landed violently, but was not struck.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RETrott,

Actually that photo was purchased at the main entrance on the front stretch at Meyer Speedway. I bought the picture myself and managed to keep it all these years.

It is MJ in the Smitty owned 37'Ford Coupe "very pink" #5. I purchased the photo one week after the accident. The week before I witnessed the flip as MJ did a 2 fer roll after mixing it up with I believe Chumley and Upton in turn one.

Hated to see these old coupes being torn up, but they seemed to be plentiful in those days. You could be right on the date, it might have been 61 although I was thinking it was the Spring of 62. My memory could be slightly off.

I think two drivers lost their lives at Meyer. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think one was Phil Harris in a modified circa 1965 during practice or heat race. The other was a Bronco driver maybe in 1967 and I don't remember his name. The stories I have heard claims the accidents were caused by poorly installed seat belt or seat security applications when the cars flipped and the security gave way.

57Tbird,

Good source, but incomplete. The Ligotino accident happened the second week he raced, after purchasing a very fast car that was well built, other than the seat belt defect. I believe the date was 8/5/'67.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't remember if it was Phil or Bill as I wasn't there that night but remember hearing about the accident on 1230 K-NUZ as Dave Ward did a news bulletin break in.

Didn't know the Bronco Driver but, it was that accident that ended my Bronco car under construction in 1967 project car. My parents, especially my Mom was determined that racing at Meyerland was not my destiny after she heard about the news. I was heart sick but none the same still living at home at age 16, I did what my parents said in those days.

The 55 Chevy Bronco Project was canned and that was the end of my racing goals at that time.

Bought a Guitar.. joined a Rock and Roll Band.. and built street rods for that time forward.

Thanks for the feedback and correct information.

Tom what was going on at the site when you were there? Did you have to ask anyone to see the property? They ran a dirt yard out there for awhile. Didn't know if that was still active or not. Just trying to get the lay of the land. Didn't know if I had to do any fence jumping :D:D or sneakin' to get in. Thank you for the pics. I may make a run out there myself.

That dirt yard was there when I went by there.

But I just drove off into the property like I owned it, didn't ask anyone. took one of the curb cuts located on South Main, and then drove until I saw the Asphalt of the X.

And no one looked twice. Wouldn't have been hard to spot; my big red Ford Pickup in a sea of green grass.

I did the same thing when I took the Pan Am pics on another thread, just went out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

MEYER SPEEDWAY

Don't worry Jim, we'll be right over to get you out..

The more I look at the ghostly site of Meyer Speedway, the more I want to gather a fund raising grant or group of investers to rebuild this old track and institute it as a Historical site and include a museum and collection of old modifieds, Sprints, Broncos and other racing items.

This was truly a great place to be in the days and a lot of history along with it.

Can you just imagine?

If the story is true about the will of Joseph Meyer, than what other purpose of the site than a race track could it be.

Of course no races could be ran there but, to go and visit the track the way it was and see old racing legends would be totally awesome.

Any contractors out there? Does anyone know the status of the land ownership? Anyone know of serious takers to preserve a piece of history?

It sorta brings mist to the eyes to see what lies as ruins and imagine how Joseph could finally rest knowing his will was preserved in honor and fashion..

Long Live the memories of Meyer Speedway! What an awesome track it was..

Well, it's only a thought..maybe far fetched..but a thought anyway.

The speedway cries for resurection.. :(

Just do it.

If anybody asks, just tell 'em Nick said it was OK. After all, according to some, I have the power of a czar, the oppressiveness of Hitler and the wisdom of someone's mother... Surely the IRS would see it your way or else, er.. um... well, I'll just edit them if they ever try to post here. LOL

Nick

Atta Boy Nick!

Took the words right out of mouth.. :D

Larry,

If everyone in Houston donated $10.00 we would have enough I think..

Better yet, if everyone in Texas donated we could rebuild all the old speedways in Texas..

Wouldn't that be awesome!

All we need is the old building plans and those that had knowledge of the speedways..

Life is a dream...you just gotta do it or it slips away.

• 5 months later...

100 yds south of Main on Hillcroft, (if you have a GPS input 12713 Hillcroft or 29° 38' 6" N - 95° 29' 34" W) on the left the is where the entrance once stood, lost time I was there, there was a bunch of construction trailers and maybe a front loader there, it looked like hell, they had been doing some dumping there. I haven't been there lately, but I am pretty sure not much has changed. It's a sad sight indeed......

This is all to sad to witness the ruins of a once great speedway.

Joseph would have a tear..

• 4 months later...

Makes me sad seeing that. I was born in '68, but I remember me, my dad, brothers and uncles going there. What a great time era to love racing! I remember one wreck though, it was a '67 - '69 camaro hit the wall coming out of turn four and blowing up in flames right around the flagstand. Don't remember if anyone got hurt or burned for my age at the time, but the wreck will never be forgotten. Also, I do have a question, didn't Freddy Fryar run there alot in the '70's? I think he drove a red dodge charger if my memory is correct, and my uncle always told me he was a "dirty driver." Being the age I was, he was bada$$!!!

Just my $.02 worth of the legacy of Meyer Speedway.

Those pictures make me sweat when I think of how it use to be... :(

Mother nature is healing her wounds and taking away all traces of the speedway..sorta like the fields of Gettysburg.

Maybe Joseph has already built a new speedway up there some where in the sky..

hey guy's, how are ya'll doing, coundn't resist getting on here, labor day, aren't we suppose to be at the track for the big one? hope all of ya'll are o.k., i was there when bill farris fliped that car, mom had just walked us kids up to the ticket booth at the grandstands when o'le tater pete announced that bill farris had just died, mom fainted right there, she did not here correctly and thought that tater had said f.l. harris, she thought dad had flipped his car, finally after coming back to her witts, some gate offical explained to her that it was bill farris. we all stood there in amaze and mom went to the old pit gate to tell someone to go across and get dad, she didn't want him racing that night. that was a sad evening. i sure miss that place and if i could afford it, i would make a memorial there, not just for joseph, but for all the great racers and memories that they gave us, what a thrill, thanks guy's, little harris :P

• 10 months later...
Jim,

While looking at an entry list for Modifieds in the '62 program on the Nifty 50s site, I saw an entry for a # 88 car with the driver listed as Dave Bierma, and that seems familiar regarding the prior year accident. The '61 era Meyer Speedway Modified Stock Cars were under new rules, seeking identity and were somewhat variable. My memory is a Henry J bodied car in the accident. I was in the front straightaway grandstand, last section. There was an incident ahead of the 88 Car and he braked and possibly struck another car and spun around and struck George, who more than likely had turned around for the incident and had his back towards oncoming cars for a split second. I did not see the initial impact, but I did see George flying/sliding across the track and into/under the pit road guardrail. Although many years after this accident, I do believe George Tennison Jr has passed away, some years back. I don't know if his death was "related" to long time chronic pain or not.

George Tennison was my stepdad from 1969 to his death from a heart attack in November 1983. He spent a year in traction at the V.A. with a broken back from the Meyer accident. He didn't have insurance and the track didn't either. Imagine that these days! The only times I went with him to a race at Meyer was the 1971 NASCAR race and a few when his brother David was winning alot and had a shot at the season championship. My Grandad Curley, and Dad also were involved at the "Destruction Derbies" at the Astrodome. Dad also flagged at the dirt track in Almeda for awhile.

• 2 months later...
Makes me sad seeing that. I was born in '68, but I remember me, my dad, brothers and uncles going there. What a great time era to love racing! I remember one wreck though, it was a '67 - '69 camaro hit the wall coming out of turn four and blowing up in flames right around the flagstand. Don't remember if anyone got hurt or burned for my age at the time, but the wreck will never be forgotten. Also, I do have a question, didn't Freddy Fryar run there alot in the '70's? I think he drove a red dodge charger if my memory is correct, and my uncle always told me he was a "dirty driver." Being the age I was, he was bada$$!!!

I watched Freddy Fryar run at Meyer Speedway in the 70's. People might think he was a dirty driver simply because he rarely lost races. Or because he had better equipment. The guy just knew how to drive a race car. In '75 and '76 I raced in the Bronco class, 6 cylinder cars, Mustangs, Camaros, Novas, etc. One Saturday night during intermission as sort of an exibition, Freddy Fryar and Kent Lewis jumped into two of the Broncos. They were to run a 6 lap race, switch cars, then run another 6 lap race with the winner of the first race starting behind the same amount of car lengths that he won the first race. Remember these guys are driving race cars they've never even sat in and with less horsepower than they're use to. Well, I guess I don't have to tell you who won both races. Like I said, the guy just knew how to drive a race car.

I watched Freddy Fryar run at Meyer Speedway in the 70's. People might think he was a dirty driver simply because he rarely lost races. Or because he had better equipment. The guy just knew how to drive a race car. In '75 and '76 I raced in the Bronco class, 6 cylinder cars, Mustangs, Camaros, Novas, etc. One Saturday night during intermission as sort of an exibition, Freddy Fryar and Kent Lewis jumped into two of the Broncos. They were to run a 6 lap race, swithch cars, then run another 6 lap race with the winner of the first race starting behind the same amount of car lengths that he won the first race. Remember these guys are driving race cars they've never even sat in and with less horsepower than they're use to. Well, I guess I don't have to tell you who won both races. Like I said, the guy just knew how to drive a race car.

Archived