5/28 HMS

jamie37

we all have rule books. its not USRA's job to make sure we are legal before we get to the track and like Nick said a team of tech inspectors costs money. you should know whats legal. make sure it is and there wont be a problem. if its not then you get busted. either before the race or after does it matter. just be leagal.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we all have rule books. its not USRA's job to make sure we are legal before we get to the track and like Nick said a team of tech inspectors costs money. you should know whats legal. make sure it is and there wont be a problem. if its not then you get busted. either before the race or after does it matter. just be leagal.

Rusty, your fine with one person getting away with something and another not? Thats BS. There could have been a penalty but a DQ, just 2 races after you let another get away with something similiar........

I am sure they got the message and from here on out it will be by the book...at this point the rule book says appeal, so that's what lil Bill should do...I just hope whoever is in charge of race day decisions cares about the series as much as everyone else does...

BTW Steve,

The rulebook has been followed for the last 4 years, just the penalties have not been as severe as was levied last weekend. Trust me, there's been no head turning to any major offenses that I know of. Ask Bill about last year when he was light, and tried to sneak weight back into the truck on the 2nd pass across the scales.

There's always been penalties, just not the kiss of death.

rusty you need to wake up son mr dickerson told me he wants to follow nascar well nascar an every racing assoc have different opinons about whats right an whats wrong is a good idea to let them look at the trucks BEFORE we race next time as see if everything is correct to them when you go to a craftsman truck race they let you know whats ok an whats not its a courtsey call so to speak if youve never been in to nascar tech you have no clue how its donr i have been for a long time from cup busch craftsman trucks asa so i know how it is to be okd BEFORE you race but its their job to make sure you didnt change things for the race in final tech an im happy for the new ppl in the tech team takin an interest in makin things right it was going a good direction when john put randy ortego in charge he was very smart tech man

an i applaud all the USRA management team for talkin to me an listening mr dickerson has done all of us a big favor put life back in the truck deal that john garret held together with bailing wire an duct tape i think alot of john mike an the rest of the crew an if the truck dont sell by the next race an if any of you great ppl have a hundred or two collectin dust holler at us we will race we are not mad we are just BROKE all the help we can get is very appreciated

Seems to me the biggest issue is as Jon stated in an earlier thread that in past years they were not so harsh when it came to penalties... This year Jon doesnt make those decisions... In other words it means that you guys need to have your i's dotted ant t's crossed... Now that Bubba isnt in there anymore there is no one from the old ARTS group to base prior decisions on. Just because something doesnt inhance performace doesnt mean they shouldnt be penalized and that shouldnt be based on if they will lose a truck. I have heard many a time that folks would rather race with a strict tech than one that is loose on the rules. Just look at Jack Sandefur with TSRS and THR. How often do you hear someone on here complaining about how he inforces his rules even on the most minor of infractions. No disrespect to Jon cause he did what he needed to do to keep everyone happy and I think some teams got used to to the idea they could get away with something for a week and now they are paying the price... If it were me I'd be going over my truck with this month off and look at anything questionable and call Wayne ahead of time before it gets caught. At the same time you should be relaying concerns about rules to Wayne so that at the end of the year they can make changes to make things better...

Mark, I agree and I agree with Steve, come to me and tell me what is wrong with my truck. There are several SLM tech officials and only 1 truck official. Why doesnt the trucks have a few more, atleast until everyone knows exactly what is expected with the trucks. There are always grey areas in rule books. The trucks also need more info from the drivers meetings. Explain what the drivers need to do in certain situations during racing conditions. Alot of the drivers are new in the trucks, alot of things could be prevented if they were told what is expected in each situation. The truck drivers dont need to hear whats going on at TMS on the 11th, or money lost and how the promoting of the series is going, we need to know about the race and every aspect of the race before the other stuff. For instance, I got into the 18 truck and we spun in 1-2, I have always been told that on a high banked track wrecked cars to the bottom and everyone going around stay high and SLOW down. That wasnt talked about and it happened in practice with the same driver that hit me. Thats just an example of what needs to be talked about to the trucks during the drivers meeting..... The guys in the trucks are awesome but some of them cant afford to fix there truck after every race and how the economy is its hard to land a sponsor.

I think there were complaints and you have to start somewhere. They decided to follow the book and unfortunately for the #5 he was first one to get hit. It's not Wayne's or any other tech man's job to tell you everything that is wrong. You got to look at the rules and go to work. Not depend on them to say hey that ain't right. It all had to start somewhere.Now I think people know what to expect.

it is their responsibility to tell you what is wrong we all read the same rule book an see it in different veiws im jus telling you it needs to be professional and techin the trucks first is the first step in that process then all concerned will be up to the task of being right have some of you guys that bought used trucks looked at every part an know its legal i dout it steve green was busted for alum hubs that he didnt even know was on the truck see where im going with this everyone needs help in getting this deal a squared away its not that hard to get to track early an look at the trucks used to be done when series first started i know ive been there since the first race at longhorn so quit bitchin how hard it is to tech an help get it done that the bottom line

it is their responsibility to tell you what is wrong we all read the same rule book an see it in different veiws im jus telling you it needs to be professional and techin the trucks first is the first step in that process then all concerned will be up to the task of being right have some of you guys that bought used trucks looked at every part an know its legal i dout it steve green was busted for alum hubs that he didnt even know was on the truck see where im going with this everyone needs help in getting this deal a squared away its not that hard to get to track early an look at the trucks used to be done when series first started i know ive been there since the first race at longhorn so quit bitchin how hard it is to tech an help get it done that the bottom line

chasissman,

It is not the job of tech officials to make sure you don't have illegal parts. It's the team's job to make sure their truck meets the rules. And if you have questions about the "gray" areas, call the tech official to get a clarification.

The tech officials randomly inspect various trucks and various parts on those trucks. It is far beyond the capacity of any local series to thoroughly pre-inspect every vehicle in the series. Besides that, after a truck is pre-inspected there is absolutely nothing to stop a team from replacing parts that have already been inspected.

I do agree, however, that whenever a new tech official takes over at a track or a series there will be changes in the way the series is teched. Wayne is not an unreasonable person and I've seen him go way out of his way to answer questions from teams and make his expectations known. Give the guy a chance.

Nick Holt

The tech officials randomly inspect various trucks and various parts on those trucks. It is far beyond the capacity of any local series to thoroughly pre-inspect every vehicle in the series. Besides that, after a truck is pre-inspected there is absolutely nothing to stop a team from replacing parts that have already been inspected.

"They randomly inspect various trucks" when was that? They inspect every truck prior to the first practice, every truck has to go thru tech. Where are you getting your info, because YOUR wrong..... 5 races into the season they decide to change how their doing things, it could have been told up front. They could have called everyone and told them the rules are in black and white NO BREAKS for no one. How hard would that be..... Are you on here because you had something to do with TAMS or what?

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong. The old way of reading the rules was if it doesn't say you can do it you can't. And just because it not written you can then you can't.

Back in 2001 we added two pieces of plexiglass(one on each side) between the back glass,rollbar and bed cover. Now it doesn't say anywhere in the rule book that you can't do this till this day. But because it didn't say we could do this in the rule book, we were told to take it off. Now this does make a SMALL bit of difference, but not on the small tracks....

So I'll ask it again, whats the interpretation of the rule book?

Does anyone have a # for Wayne? I'd like to get the RULING on the Carb issue, since no one can answer...

"They randomly inspect various trucks" when was that? They inspect every truck prior to the first practice, every truck has to go thru tech. Where are you getting your info, because YOUR wrong.....

You got me there, art22. My apologies.

Nick Holt

Contact Information:

Promoter: Wayne Norrell

Mailing Address: P.M. Box 161 1645 Pat Booker Rd. #103 Universal City, TX 78148

Email: wnorrell@satx.rr.com

Phone: (210) 566-5553

Fax:

Jason was good enough to put everyone's contact information in the series section of TSZ.

USRA has been overwhelmingly positive for the Truck series and this should be kept in perspective. The trucks put on the best show, race in race out, of any of the touring series, as far as passing, etc. The truck counts are up about 10 on average. More people are in the stands to see them. The purses are guaranteed and they pay $150 to start vs $75 last year. It is very cool to see teams with matching trucks and SLM's. USRA, specifically Terry Dickerson, promotes them very well.

The difficulties have been with race day operations/decisions affecting the drivers and teams. The SLM series had a smoother race day transfer than trucks by the nature of the way things came together. USRA tried to make that as smooth as possible for the truck series by bringing Bubba in. Just as it seemed that was getting worked out, Bubba left. However Bubba was only part of the equasion and was not yet making the final calls.

The comments on this thread reflect the majority of teams frustrations about consistency, knowing what the rules will be, that they will be enforced, and they will be enforced the same way every time. Terry Dickerson has stated the trucks will be treated the same as the SLM's. However, some of the decisions made to date by officials do not reflect the same level of careful consideration and attention to be fair and accurate that the SLM's recieve. There is a general consensus that the head race day official, who has made all the final calls, just doesn't care about the trucks and the object is to get them over with and out of the way. That is the elephant in the room that everyone is afraid to talk about. That may or may not be true. However, based off of the number of phone calls and e-mails I have been getting, it is a widely held opinion. Adding Wayne Norrell is a positive step. But who ever is going to be the one making the final calls, they have to share the USRA vision and CARE about the truck series, the drivers, and the team owners, as much as any other USRA series.

The basic per race costs for a truck team are $500 per race x 22 = $11,000. $500 is a low figure that doesn't take into account major repairs, damages, a full set of tires, hotel rooms, families, paying any crew members, or bar bills. It does not include the fixed expenses of the truck, trailer, or tow vehicle. The purse is $4,800. Even at the low end, the truck owners lose $6,200 per race just on variable expenses. The true average is probably more than double that, before any sponsorships. The truck owners know what they signed up for and they enjoy the opportunity to race with USRA. They just expect to be treated fairly and consistently in return.

This is part of the growing process for the USRA truck series. They have admitted there will be mistakes along the way. I believe there is a very strong desire on the part of Terry Dickerson to get this right and he has said he is willing to do whatever it takes to get it right.

And if a sponsor wanted to actualy take the time to read this topic, I don't believe it would in any way cause them not to want to sponsor a truck, SLM, or USRA. Somewhere someone is bitching about something at that sponsor's business!

Hey Jon,

Thanks, but I still have the one I paid you $299 for.

The DeVinci has been collecting dusk for 3 yrs. now.

I guess my real question should have been, do all the new guys know they are supposed to be running a Quick Fuels Carb?

I guess my real question should have been, do all the new guys know they are supposed to be running a Quick Fuels Carb?

i'm running the quick fuel carb. .......thanx rose city.

Shane,

I am not happy that josh got to run at thr, But i dont make the rules. all im saying is rules is rules, follow them or prepare to get busted. if you can talk your way out of it with officials power to you. the difference here is tech guys. i was a crew chief in the tams and i have worked with Wayne--no favorites there--thr different people different interpatations. unless every arts driver gets together and complians to the officials(and i dont mean on here) then maybe clarifacations can be made-- i dont know i just want to win one or two. i have been racing many years and have found that complaints by one person tend to be overlooked. maybe a driver union would be good--and could get the popular vote out. i dont know, but i am having more fun in this series than i have had in a long time.

chassisman

I agree with you, but usra is not a multi-billion dollar corporation either and just like you and I they have a budget, example couldnt afford a steel upper a arm i understand all my spares are aluminum from a latemodel i had cant hardly buy tires trust me i know. they also cant have 3-4 tech guys per car like nascar or asa(niether could they apparently), but you see my point right. they are rookies to this to so it is up to us to police ourselves. i think a dq might have been a little harsh, but like i told Shane i dont make the rules, i try to follow them. hope to see you in SA. like racing with you.

STOP------Enough !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who?

If I'm understanding, there have been some rule changes or then again maybe not?

I'm as Jon says "Not Raciing" enough, so I'm asking for clarification. Because of business, we are only racing in S.A.

If owning one of these things doesn't give us the right to ask a question,then someone offer me $18,000.00 for Truck,Spare Motor, (2) Spare Rear Ends,Many Extra Fiberglass Pieces and Much More. Till then I'd like to keep up to date on what makes Our trucks Legal and what changes we can make. Not everyone has time and money to run every races. But just because they don't doesn't mean that people have to get after them.

Archived