Well, It's a start. Let's see what happens!

Budman

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a damn small world. Known you several years and your brother many years. Never knew you were related to Paul Jett. Man have I got a project for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got a picture from 1964. It's a group picture of 25 drivers taken at the old Pan-Am-Austin Hwy. The story behind that picture is incredible. I've been told Paul Jett is about the only human left on this planet who has a reasonable chance of identifying all 25 of them!

I'll bring the picture and see you at THR Saturday night!

budman

I bet txtom could ID them. Better yet, contact scott10. His dad, Buddy Jerkins, Im sure could ID them.Is that the big picture that your have troble scannig? Take it to Kinkos,etc and have them copy it to a disk for you. I want a copy of that one when you get it figued out.

Papa,

I'm still playing around with this pic. Just got it the other day. May download some additional software that's made for this type of stuff. If not, I'll take it to Kinko's.

Buddy J. didn't know a lot of those drivers in the pic. We'll keep in touch about it though.

Right now I think the Paul Jett connection is the best bet. We'll see how it goes.

A pic from '64? Dang PAPA, I ain't that old!

Actually in '64, I was watching guys like Red Farmer, Billy Foster, Dickie Davis, and Gene Tapia, among others, while I lived in Mobile, althought at the time, I had no idea who they were. I was a whopping 6 years old then. A year or two before I got my first gray hair..........

Budman, please include me for a copy of that pic; I can think of a couple people I know who can probably help with some identifications.

Well. I figured out how to resize a picture...wonders never cease.

Here is a picture I'm kinda fond of; Where it is is pretty obvious.

Can anyone name everyone in this picture?

post-2-1116556480_thumb.jpg

mackin on crutches-it's terry brooks' car...but other than that idon't know...

See86go - Thanks for coming up with those.

A couple of things about Harold Hall -

A picture, or anything short of standing next to it, didn't really do the car justice. The dark color was a metallic dark gray, with yellow inserts. It was very classy looking, one of the best looking race cars I had seen, except for Bubba Storbeck's.

As the result of posting on the World of Outlaws board, I got into a conversation a couple of years ago with Danny Peace, who had the 1989 Doug Wolfgang team. Danny told me that when he was growing up, Harold Hall was his Dad's main racing nemesis. Small world!

By the way, did anyone notice that the Buddy Woodall (#42) car on the first page had the front and rear glass? The Jerry Stanley car might have also. A few people tried this from time to time, but it usually didn't last very long.

The picture was taken on the Winner's Circle at Texas World Speedway.

The 20 lap (40 mile) Super Stock support race had just been completed. The Super Stock race preceded the annual Texas Race of Champions (TROC).

I can I.D. most of the people on the Winner's Circle from left to right:

Leroy Brooks - crew member # 81 Chevelle

Unknown crew - (maybe David Machen)

Steve Klestinec - crew member # 81 Chevelle

Lee Machen - crew member and owner # 81 Special Automotive Chevelle

Unknown crewman # 81 Chevelle

Unknown person in drivers suit with unknown lady

Jerry Grant, back facing camera, winner of Super Stock race # 81 Chevelle

The official in white hat blocked by Grant - maybe me !

Mike Conner, PA Announcer, Texas World Speedway

Photo ID's attempted by:

Neil Upchurch

former Race Director

Texas Race of Champions

Texas World Speedway

Txtom, you're on the list. May need your help yet on this deal.

Tommy33 - Loved that story about the rookie with the $60k drag car.

I sure hope Paul Jett got an A+ on that high school project of his ........ that 11 car.

Budman,

They are painted the same shade of orange, "Omaha Orange".

The other significant difference is Buddy had a gold colored # 2, and Bobby Teer JR has silver numbers.

Teer has a tribute decal to Buddy on his hood, and it has the Yantis gold number 2 on it.

Teer's car is a great tribute to his Grandfather, and I can't watch the car run without thinking of Buddy, who I knew over 30 years.

Actually Mel,

Neil got that one right, it is David Machen.

And he guessed himself hiding behind Jerry with the white hat. Don't recall Neil ever wearing a hat of any other color.

Archived