Well, It's a start. Let's see what happens!

Budman

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimmy Finger only ran that car a few times. Beautiful car, a metallic green with white trim. Belonged to a guy named Nichols, I believe. This pic is Austin Speedorama.

I guess one of my favorite stories about Finger was when he punched through the turn 1 wall at Pan Am in Waldo Harper's car.

Everyone is thinking the worst, and when we all got down there, he was sitting on top of the car. Before anyone could ask how he was, he hollared "ya know, a feller could get snake-bit back here!"

Another involved not Finger himself, but the owners of the Vita-Fresh sponsored car he drove. Gordon Van Liew, who owned Vita-Fresh, Fred Anderson, and a guy whose name escapes me at the moment all had money in that car. They had purchased the car from Southeast legend Buck Simmons.

Finger won the TROC race at Texas World, but that weekend, they had run up a bill of over $3000 at Lee Machen's parts trailer. They were done with Victory Lane and Tech, and the owners were basking in all their glory, when Richard "Moose" Bowen took the ticket over there for payment. He was the track welder, and anyone from back then who remembers Moose knows how big this guy was. When he asked who was going to pay the bill, all 3 owners hemmed and hawed about not having any money, and they'd send a check. Moose took it all in, and told them "No Problem there, I'll just take those Rolex watches and diamond rings and stuff ya'll are wearing, and I'll hold them until we get the check."

Amazing how quick those guys found the cash to pay that ticket.....

Just a couple stories I remember about Finger.

If they are out there, I'm not sure where.

I know of one car, Freddy Fryar's #14 Nova, that is in Houston. It is in the possession of one of the Lyall brothers, but has a different body on it, among other changes. I think the Lyalls last ran it in the Super Stock class at TWS in the 80's.

Another car that is probably still around, but location unknown, is the # 48 car that Fryar brought over on occassion. It actually belonged to A.J. Fasulo, who was Freddy's Father in Law. It was a sister car to Freddy's car, they were built one after the other. That car was sold to Melvin Myers here in San Antonio, and Melvin's brother Don drove it a little while, then Rick Rapp. Rapp had a lot of success in that car. It ended up in the San Antonio Sportsman class, and was about used up when some guy from Arkansas bought it and restored it back to the way it originally looked. Interestingly, it was a Chevelle before the Nova body was put on it. He had it for sale years later, and that is where the trail runs cold on this car.

There are probably more sitting under tarps somewhere; would be neat to hear about them.

This is one of the greatest. This is Buddy Yantis Sr. I watched him race when I was in grade school. Trust me, that was a LONG time ago. Of all the drivers that I remember from my chilhood to present, Buddy is and always will be #1. Rest in peace Buddy.

Watched Buddy Yantis race so many nights for so many years. I consider him one of the real legends of Texas Racing History.

Incidentially, had the opportunity to meet several members of his family out at THR a few weeks back.

Hey Papa
Figured out what caused the 33 car to wreck in that sequence ...........................
............Frogslick.............

No doubt about it. Next lap, car ahead of him ran over it. He ran through the slick, and WHAMMO!........ into the wall. There it is, right down there at the bottom of the track! Just down-track from his left front. Plain as day. Check it out......... Go ahead, you can come back here and finish readin this later. Picture at the bottom of the first page.

Only thing slicker is owl she-ut. Thats two things ever good track crew knows they have to check for before ever race night......................... Frogs in the infield and if there's trees on the property?.........................OWLS!!!!!!!!

Txtom,

Speaking of old cars under tarps, that reminded me of an article I read in a car magazine a few years ago. They had a good photo spread on too. Seems someone had bought some property with an old warehouse on it. Off in a corner was a tarp covered vehicle of some sort. When they finally got around to uncovering it they found one of the most famous drag cars of the muscle car era. It was the RUSS DAVIS FORD, orange 1966 2+2, 427 Mustang, driven by Gas Rhonda! Pretty cool.

I remember Alan Dillard drove a super-modified back in the 60's. Car #41 I believe. The thing had no flywheel at all. He didn't need brakes. He could drive it in deep, let off and the thing would just sit down. It was fun to watch him.

I started watching racing in 1974 at Lake Geneva Speedway in Wisconsin.A lot of the cars then,were 1950's models.I have to tell you that,even though I didn't see the racing in San Antonio back then,these pictures sure bring back alot of memories.The most ironic thing I saw when I got to SAS then Highway 16,was Freddy Fryer in that orange Nova.It was the splitting image of Al Shill Sr.'s car.Al still races the short tracks in Wisconsin and is a regular winner at Slinger Super Speedway.

Any old Fryer pics out there?

BTW...Shill also runs the number 14.

Archived