Well, It's a start. Let's see what happens!

Budman

[ (Note: The following paragraph is being edited in 4 years after this thread was first posted.)

It is now May 6, 2009 ......... 4 years after this thread was originally posted. This was the original thread that got this "History Section" started. Originally, it was just another thread posted in the main section. There was such an overwhelming response by the members to it, the management of Lone Star Speedzone (Texas Speedzone at the time) set it up as the "TEXAS RACING HISTORY" section. By that time, the thread had already become very long, so when the section was set up, it was divided up, as best they could, into 4 or 5 threads. For that reason, as you read through this thread, you will notice some posts that seem illogical. I remember PAPA at I PMing each other for several days about starting such a thread. Quite frankly we didn't know how much of a response it would get. Finally, I told him "What the heck, lets start it and see what happens. I'm now proud to say, 4 years later, it has been an overwhelming success. I just want to say thanks to the LSS management and to all the members who have contributed to this section. I know you will agree, there is some absolutely awesome material on here, way beyond what I could have ever imagined. I just wish my dad, who passed away in 2001 had been around to see this stuff. He would have been able to appreciate the value of this material as much as anyone. Thanks again to all the members for the contributions. I know there is a heck of a lot more material out there. As I tell everyone ......... Those old pictures aren't doing anybody any good sitting in a box up on some shelf somewhere. Get them down, get the scanned and share them so we all can enjoy them. Keep 'um coming! :) ]

Well, It's a start. Let's see what happens!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Beans lived around the corner from our house. I spent a lot of time riding bikes with Debbie and Darla and Damon while Dad helped Hubert in that old garage behind the house.

Don't know too much about the black/white pics, but that #5 at the top was an incredible little hot rod. I remember the first time he brought it out to Pan Am for one of the test/tune days, it was sharp. The last time I saw it was summer of 76 when we went to Meyers Speedway and during hot laps the rt front ball joint broke and it wound up stuffed in the wall. It came back home, was stripped and Bean started building cars at B&B for Mr. Bierschwale very soon after.

In one of another pics of the 56 chevy, the words on the back of the rear view mirror say something like "Look out(or Move over) Here comes the Bean Bandit"

Billy Bailey

Good story FF. Really would like to hear more about the "BANDIT". Im going to put one more pic on here today then Ill wait for a day or two before I put another one on. Lets get some stories and info on these two drivers. They deserve the recognition. Thanks

The # 19 is driven by either Jerry Stanley or Bill White, depending on the year. This one is probably Stanley, and I think it is also Frank Ferris' car.

I meant to respond to the other thread, but I have been busy with a big job re-certification, and it will go on for a few months.

I'll find time to post a story or two as I find time, or someone posts something here i can contribute to.

Also, my family is after me hard to put all my stories to print; I'll get started someday. They want racing, as well as high-school, my military years, and just life in general. To say I have had fun, is a great understatement.

Someday, I'll get a story on about TWS or another track:

Maybe "A pot of pinto beans and a racecar," or maybe the year a good friend of mine's wife won the wet t-shirt contest at TWS--Never could look at her the same way after that...... <_<

How about life in general-----

Envision "Naked Rappelling in a Muslim Country."

Or how about this??-----Castrating a hog with a blow-torch. (Because a hacksaw wouldn't work!)

Tom

It is Jerry Stanley. Im just curious as to the circa of these pics. Do you want to take a wild guess? I know he was from Austin but thats all I was told. Have you heard anything about him in resent years? Any info would be great.

You should write down all your stories. Lets face it, We're not going to be around for ever and the grandkids need to be able to tell their grandkids these stories. Just get one of those little recorders that fit in your shirt pocket and when ever the "Ol Grey Matter" starts getting active you can record it. Type it up later. And you can share them with us from time to time.

PAPA,

I kinda place Stanley in this car about 1972 or so. I think he left this car to drive Howard Reithmeyer's blue # 49. Bradley R. may pop on here and fill in some details about his grandfather's car, or what Stanley is doing now. The picture is Pan American.

The car belonged to Frank Ferris of Austin, and I think Bill White of Temple drove it a year or two, then Calvin Gustafson. Ferris had a camaro when Gustafson drove it.

Seems like Calvin flagged at Austin Speedorama a couple years in the late 70's or early 80's.

Ferris had a frame alignment shop, and the last car I remember him running was the MRE car driven about '83 by Leroy Brooks. Brooks flipped it at Speedorama (Longhorn), and that was his last race.

By the way, I think that Bean car you posted the pic of was built and/or crewed by the same Harry Kinsey that is a USRA official today.

I think its just great that you people who remember Texas auto racing history share your knowledge with others, who may or may not know important facts from out sports past.

TexasSpeedZone.com should establish a seperate forum for "Texas Racing History".

I would be proud to contribute to the forum when I have something to say.

Neil Upchurch

I think this is the photo Tommy33 was referring to. From what I remember, the car's fuel filler was in the rear roof pillar, and the wall knocked the gas cap off. About the time the car stopped sliding on its roof, you could see a small fire traveling up a little stream of fuel towards the car. Within a couple of seconds the car was in flames.

Ted Hood always managed to catch the action, and this photo is one of his best.

banks2.jpg

Gary Banks was not hurt in this wreck. In this photo, I was only about 50 feet to the left of it in the infield while this was happening. What basically happened is the turn 2 wall had been hit enough times that it had a bow or bend in it, and the bottom had a lip that Banks hit, and it climbed the wall and turned over. Some of ya'll may remember that shortly after this, Pan Am had a short stretch of the boiler plate wall removed from turn 2, and replaced by concrete.

See86 (Craig Schmidt, Right?) is right, Ted Hood always got the shot.

PAPA did me a great favor, and resized this picture of the Smith-Jiggler engine that was at the Autorama. In this picture, the engine looks like any other V8-60, with the exception of the rocker boxes on each head. They had a pushrod/rocker arm assy like any other overhead valve engine; in this engine, it is the exhaust valve. The intake stayed in the original location in the block. Mr. Jones stated the intent was to take the exhaust heat out of the block. Only a few people were able to make this engine competitive. Still a very good looking piece of engineering, it was designed by Tiny Smith here in Texas, and a lot of the actual foundry and machine work occured in Luling.

post-2-1115569358_thumb.jpg

Pretty scarey looking. Driver OK I hope.

really- when you look closely at the picture , he's just wearing a short sleeved t-shirt????those were the days-didnt do victory donuts,and did'nt worry about little wimp issues like safety...

papa,

thanks for the photos, i had the kids looking at them and they really enjoyed them. i really do agree with neil on the history thing that would be really cool. please keep them coming. p.s. i can relate to that 33 car kinda looks like me .lmao. charles

Crazyhorse,

I think I agree with you about the donuts. I like it when a driver acts like he's done it before. That's the way we always were coached, and the way we always coached ours,

"Quit yer showin' off and act like you done it before."

Archived