Pit road speed

PAPA

Here is the formula to help figure out what the RPM should read while on pit road. You will need to know what the speed limit is and you will need to know what diff gear ratio your running as well as the trans ratio of the gear you are in on pit road. You will also need the tire diameter:

RPM=(MPHxdiff ratioxtrans ratiox366)/tire dia.

Just thought this might help.

That makes my brain hurt...I was just thinking we could follow a car with a speedometer and look at the tach...

Of course if the tach said 1,100 rpm and the officials had no radar gun, the officials still wouldn't know for sure...they are still having to guess...you can be sure me, arts22, and ss99 would be doing 1,100...the others might be doing 1,200 or 1,300!

racerx

Check out www.opticsplanet.net. They have a Bushnell Speedster hand held rader gun for $149.99 with free ups shipping. I would think the tracks could afford that. Oooops...Im opening a big ol can of worms arent I? Sorry. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

P.S.

I did a "GOOGLE" on this too !!

I will ask Brian and Mary Ann if I can donate it!

Although at 5mph, we could just let a hamster loose and if you beat the hamster to pit exit, you are speeding...to figure the cost per event let's say on average 2 hamsters get away in to the pasture and 2 meet an untimely demise, you know, they get "hoosiered"...that works out to like $8 per night (4 hamsters x $2 = $8 a race night). We could get Petco to sponsor it, "Petco Pit Road at Thunderhill".

LL-could get 2 extra hamsters(male and a female) and they could be Petco Pit Road Producers-they can hang in the suites in turn 1 & 2 and all their job would be is to make pit road monitors for future races-probably have to get rid of the female about midseason and bring in another gal-sure the male would get tired of her after awhile-lol

Tom,

You are right. And those were my kids!

I felt I was safe and could have stopped at anytime. No one had to bail. So objectively, using your standards, I was not speeding. Subjectively, the officials thought I was. If it was 5mph, no question I was speeding. I didn't hear 5mph in the drivers meeting, I heard safe pit road speed. But I have ADD, so maybe I missed it. I was trying measure it like a school zone I go through everyday. But I was fast in and fast out and it was a kinda dramatic, so that didn't look good either.

All I want is a way to measure it so it doesn't happen again. I don't want to guess. I want to be able to look at the tach and hold it there. I just hope I don't run into anyone while I am looking down at the tach.

LL

I think PETA might have a problem with that idea

Who does he race for? j/k

There could be a silver linng. Maybe those nekkid PETA girls you see on the news from time to time will come out and protest at the track. That's good for two reasons: 1) As TQ will tell you, any publicity is good publicity and 2) well, nekkid girls of course!

There could be a silver linng. Maybe those nekkid PETA girls you see on the news from time to time will come out and protest at the track. That's good for two reasons: 1) As TQ will tell you, any publicity is good publicity and 2) well, nekkid girls of course!

i'll go with reason 1- reason why.... is reason 2, most of those tree hugger types don't practice good hygiene. they're as hairy as hamsters...

ps - before nick has to disipline me i'm only kidding-i'm sorry if i offended any hamsters....

just move the suites and do some grading work and lay some asphalt,make a hot pit behind turn 1 & 2 with a railing dividing it from the road in the pits-just dreaming-cost $$$$ i know-but then drivers coming in wouldnt have to worry about running over kids and spectators and speeding-sooner or later somebodys going to get hit by a racecar coming in for something in a hurry and then we'll see where that goes-

been watching from the background, noticed one thing. seems you have managed to turn the pit speed issue into a big joke , whats funny about hurting someone or possibly killing someone. hope it never comes to that hope the ones that are making light of the subject never are the cause

driving with whats between the (blank) /makes a driver/

(blank)=legs=EGO=overdriving..a real nut case

(blank)=hands=ANGER=overdriving=dangerous

(blank)=ears=THINKING=heads up=winner

hey! who cares anyway

Racingnut:

I would ask you not to confuse the messenger with the message. Approaching an otherwise serious subject matter with a sense of humor is just one in a number of ways of approaching it. Fourteen members, including myself and you have posted on this thread so far. I guarantee I can speak for all of us that we take the matter of safety for drivers, their families, other drivers and their families, track officials and race fans very seriously.

I don't think there is anyone more serious about safety than me. I've been posting on this forum for about 3 months. Those who have become familiar with my posts would tell you a large percentage of them deal with safety matters. (for example, look at my posts on the threads "H.E. Nauman", "Stuck Throttles", "Safr Barriers" and "Photos".)

The use of humor attracks readers (450 on this thread so far). Half of what people get on here for is its entertainment value. The more readers, the more potential for input on this and other safety matters. That's the beauty of these majic boxes we sit at.

I've been attending racing at local tracks in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas and any number of other local tracks for over fifty years now. I've seen too many deaths and serious injuries at these tracks not to take the subject of safety VERY seriously.

While were at it, I'll give you another of my safety concerns. There have been a couple of mentions on here of creating a "Hot Pit" at THR. The problem I see with that is, as race tracks go, there is no more dangerous a place in racing than a Hot Pit. Seems to me you could end up making the place MORE dangerous, than less.

Thanks for your concern, nontheless.

Archived