Pit road speed

PAPA

Bud,

I would ask you not to confuse the messenger with the message. Approaching an otherwise serious subject matter with a sense of humor is just one in a number of ways of approaching it.

your daughter got run over!!!! a sense of humor..

give me a break..its just away of telling people to get over it. If someone decided to drive like a nut case thru the pits and hit my family or anyone for that matter, god help them...they would be extracted from the car via the chin strap. Not directing this at you but I do not see any use of humor. its life or death!

Oh!

thanks for YOUR concern nontheless!!

p.s./ I have been attending races for a very long time as well...and dont see any humor in making light of a serious issue. If a driver does not have or knows how to use common sense do you want them around you.

just a hayseed

racingnut,

speaking of common sense pit road is no place to have a family, or to just be hanging around. pit road is for the cars and the crew members, the stands are for watching. i do agree with you it is not a laughing matter, but you also have to be on the look out and use common sense when working on pit road. as a driver s point of view coming down pit road after having a flat or a wreck your adrenaline is pumping like crazy and you have tunnel vision for your pit stall. no driver wants to run over any one any more than some one would like to get ran over!

flyingaces,is right...pit road is for racecars and teams to do there jobs not a playground..might want to make the road behind the press box off limits to anyone other than crews during a race....it would be easyer to police that than to have to get a speed gun..

I didnt mean to stir up a hornest nest here. Everyone makes a good point. We all have to be safe and watch out for the other guy. Not just at the track but everywhere. I put the formula on here to assist those who would like to know how fast they are going by using their tach. Getting on and off pit road as quick as possible is very important. This is racing!! Its a fast pace sport. Drivers and crews should not have to worry about bystanders lurking about on pit road. They have no business there to start with. Anyone who lets their kids run around on or around the pit road area should not be allowed in the pits at all. I wouldnt let my kids do anything like that. Wake up people.JMO

No hornet's nest here Papa. We've just got a really great place here for everyone to express their opinions in the manner they choose. You can state facts, tell lies, or discuss all things about the sport we all love. For that I am thankful. I think in the final analysis we're all really on the same side here.

There is one misconception I think we've inadvertantly created here I would like to dispell. I think we've somehow created the impression there is a problem with young children running all over the place in the pits at THR. That simply is not true. I was in the pits at THR Saturday night. I can't remember seeing any children there. I don't know what THR's policy is on this, but I suspect they're not allowed at all.

I don't know what THR's policy is on this, but I suspect they're not allowed at all.

If that every becomes a policy, that is when I hang up my helmet. :angry:

This is a family sport. My kids are my crew. No, they would not change the tires if I had a flat during the race, but having them in the pits helping is what makes it a family activity. SAS doesn't allow kids, and they say that is because the pits are in the middle of the track. I can see that as an insurance issue, so I will not go there.

I agree that some parents are not good parents, and let their kids run all over the place. My children (so I have been told by observers) are very well behaved, and so are most of the kids I see in the pits. If they weren't, or if they ever created a situation that caused a possible danger, I would expect track management to ask us to leave, just like they would some one who starts fights. Neither action is acceptable.

Kids, adults, or elderly race fans all have to watch out, but the drivers have to remember where they are and maintain the speed rule.

I may seem a little passionate about this, but I got back into racing to share one of my passions with my kids. When they are older, if they so choose, I will pit for them while they drive.

Lloyd

#19 TPS

i ran a series where and if you left the track during the race on a green,yellow or red flag lap you could not return to the racing surface-period-you were out-done for the nite-didnt have to worry about going into the pits for a quick fix-then hauling butt to get back out-you knew once you made the exit you might as well go on to the trailer and load it-it was the RULE

For #19 TPS:

The Texas Pro Sedans agreement with Thunder Hill Raceway calls for ages 17 and under to have an executed parental release at the Pit Gate Office.

Although not part of the "kids question"THR has also widely informed all TXSZ readers several weeks ago that the driver age minimum is 16 years.

Having negotiated contracts with many tracks for many years, I can tell everybody that what is allowed by the insurer at one track may not be the same at another track.

I hope this narrative helps.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

BTW in my statement earlier, I wasn't speaking of children(playgroud)..just meant there are always people moving around..even when the race's are going on(dont know why)..that road could be made into a nice pit road without making it hard to move around in the pits..put cones up by the tech slab..and the side road on the nort side just during the race...let no one in that other than arm banded crew members until the race is over..walla a safe place for the fans and crews..

jmo

I am pretty certain that I came across stronger than I meant to. The topic had to do with speeding in the pits, and not really about minors in the pits. But lack of sleep from working on the car all week, and with the confirmation that minors are not allowed at SAS put me on the defensive. When I saw mentioned in the posts that someone suspected that they were not allowed at all, I typed my opinion on that matter.

Papa - Thank you for posting the formula. I hope that it will help the drivers. Sorry about changing the topic, but I guess it is related.

NeilTPS - Thanks for helping to clear this up.

Budman - I have re-read you post and I agree there is not "a problem with young children running all over the place in the pits at THR."

GUNDOG33 - You mentioned that you weren't "speaking of children(playground).." and I didn't take it to mean kids playing, but do agree with you completely that "there are always people moving around… even when the race's are going on" That is why it is so important for "everyone" to pay attention to their surroundings, and even more so for minors. Parents have to take responsibility for where their kids are at all times at the track. I think the drivers who do bring their children to the pits at THR do a fantastic job of watching them and keep them under control.

I can see the how that rule that you mentioned Tommy33 could help. But I can also see a situation towards the end of the season where the points leader has trouble and it costs them the title. (You just can't please all of the folks all the time, I guess.)

Lloyd

TPS #19

hartracn19-the rule wasnt liked by everybody but they also let everybody drop their 2 lowest point races-so if you had a bad nite you could wipe it out at the end of the year where it didnt count against you-

Archived