Mini Stocks

thumper

The season is over for Sport Compacts and I think its not too early to start conversation about next year.

If STS does consider retaining us what direction does anyone want to go if any ? We need to get defined so we are clear to possible new teams. In the past there has been........

Mini Stocks= 4 cyl race cars with beefed up engines, suspensions and race tires. These cars are full race cars built for speed and consist of many brands but primarily Ford Mustangs as there are tremendous supplies of parts. The rivalry between the VWs and Fords has continued for 5 decades with other brands joining the fray. Now with the improvement of factory built performance cars the availability of downer cars has increased dramatically. Unlike asphalt, tires are a big deal to overcome the constantly changing dirt track conditions. This class was very successful at CC Speedway in the 90s.

Then came the Thunder Cars. These cars were somewhat performance models with limits on suspension and tires. Engines were not regulated so much but the cars did have a claim rule that discouraged overspending on performance items. It started at Rio Grande Speedway in 1992 and was added to CC Speedway in 2000 when the mini stocks became to expensive and too few entries. It had huge success at RGS for over 2 decades and a really huge success at CCS in the 2000s. Its was also successful at STS in the mid 2000s.

The next phase was the Frontrunners. This series was biased on purely stock modern cars with absolutely NO upgrades, even requiting the use of original factory size tires, a fact that made obsolete some older models that had no tire options available anymore. It was an inexpensive series aimed at first time racers. Very successful farther north and somewhat successful at some Texas tracks.

Finally at STS came the Sport Compacts, a series that attempted to combine all of the above. Another words race cars of modern design tuned for oval track racing. Similar to Thunder Cars but with some restrictions on power plants and favoring the modern cars. This series had very little success I believe mainly because it was not so well understood. What it ended with was a collection of old and new cars and not much respect from the racing community in general. The rules were lost during the management change in 2014 and the series was left undefined. We had a collection of Mini Stocks, Thunder Cars And Frontrunners with nobody willing to change so STS just ran what showed up.

With the closing of many tracks plus more this year STS looks to be not only the best option but the only one for a lot of people. If the 4 cyl racers anywhere want a place to race this might be it if they allow it. So this post is asking for impute of any kind to see if 4 cyl race cars can prevent becoming obsolete here in Corpus. The fact that many racers came from far away shows a place is needed. At Waco this year it was oblivious mini stocks have almost become extinct Most of the contestants said their home track was gone or eliminated their series. It might be time to resurrect the mini stocks or at least tweek the Sport Compact rules to clearly define an overlooked segment of local short track racing. Corpus is a big city and has had great success at times with the 4 cly guys when properly defined, paid and promoted. Should it become just another memory like too many tracks have ?

Please post your opinion only if you are a supporter of this series sustained existence. Any or all ideas are appreciated. Thank you in advance.

If you have an interest in or want to revive this class G.B. is right imput is needed now on what direction the class wants to be.STS needs to know if the interest is out there to continue the class so the sooner the better to come together on a set of rules. You may lose a few on what you settle on but I think that will be offset by cars being built to a set of rules.

Hope these drivers can come together and define this class. GB, always respect the passion you have for your class and hope you can get those troops together and keep the class going and hopefully growing. I know it's a different beast but CTS had great car counts in Sport Compacts this season, you guys were a steady ten or so all year so it's definitely something to grow on. Good luck sir.

I had a great time in the sport compact class this year at STS. I was able to learn the track for beginners. I was hoping STS will run the class in 2017 season. But we do need a set of rules to go by for 2017. We need to meet with the track and see if we could come up with a set. This is the track in South Texas that would run the sport compact class this 2016 season.

Mssexycruze

Deb Metcalf #94dg

Archived