South Texas Speedway Analysis

Drivers, Crew and Fans

Every once in a while I like to update you on a few items and tell you what is going on behind the scenes. Here are a few items.

1. The racing has never been better. This last weeks races were exciting and entertaining.

2. The fans are supporting us. We are having some of the highest fan counts ever.

3. The music this past week was not my favorite and we are changing it immediately. (Using top 40 is not working)

4. The intermission was to long. (We will be adding live music to the intermission show)

5. We are addressing and making changes as necessary to our tech procedures after the race to make sure we are consistent and fair

6.Race on Texas is a big help. (Everyone should support them)

7. We will be doing a invert every week during intermission. We will invert between 2 and 10 cars each week to add some excitement for the fans.

8. The brochures are a nice addition to our track. (Thank you Stephan and Sheryl)

9. The car counts have been tremendous. (We have had 150 cars in the first two weeks.)

10. We added parking attendants. This helped a lot with organization. Hopefully the fans see this.

11. We still need two employees. One to sell Merchandise and one to Give away popcorn.

12. We will hopefully make a deal to sell Pizza at the track soon.

13. The track is not what we are looking for yet. We are readdressing it this week. Removing sand and cutting the corners again. (Constant battle to keep great racing)

14. We still need some more sponsors. We need more banners and signs.

15. The Pure Stocks were the first to get full pay this week. The winner received $500

Well just a few items. Thank you all for your support.

Ken Hobbs

Thank You South Texas Speedway and everybody involved for your dedication and patience. The track was race ready for even hot laps and there is almost no mud on my car. Its was great to have hot laps again thanks to having fewer classes each night. Having a mini concert during halftime is a great idea as well. Double entertainment for the same ticket. Having showers in the pits is also a boon. And payout was quick.

All this leaves no doubt this track is not going away like so many others. Corpus Christi is indeed lucky to have an outdoor sports arena and is definitely worth the 3 hour drive for me.

The track itself was great and afforded several grooves for options. Smoothest surface so far too. It was a pleasure to race on. Talent had everything needed to perform. Compacts even had 2 heats for the first time on a regular night and that was cool to watch some of our own cars run.

Again thanks to the greatest track in Texas. Maybe the world!

It was good to see near a dozen plus in every class pull in the gate. Pure Stocks with almost 30, good job on everyone getting there, hopefully some of those with cars in other classes can get what they need to come out as well, know some of the regulars were missing Saturday but hope they can come back soon.

I think you should suprise everybody and inverted the whole field every once in a while.

When I was younger I remember SOS would have a fan roll some dice even number they would run based off of heats odd number invert the whole field or something like that. But it was based on what the fan rolled whether inverting or not

STS and CCS have used similar techniques in the past. Some classes can get away with full inverts, some may not. It's a fine line. Last time I saw a full invert, it didn't turn out too well and track promoter was hearing it from everyone. He did it in the name of putting on a show but it just turned out to be a rough race with a bunch of tore up cars and upset fans/drivers. Not saying it was a bad decision, just a bad outcome.

Top Shelf,

you are correct. We cannot just invert the field all the time. It would create a lot of torn up cars. If you were there Saturday. I had two fans draw playing cards. The playing cards had numbers 2 through 10. What ever number cam up that's what we inverted. That was its completely random and gets the fans involved.

Ken Hobbs

Was wondering how the 4 came up. That was pretty cool. Think random inverts prevent the sandbagging mentality too if drivers play the invert on heats to start on front row in feature. Honestly, I'm not sure how any of the tracks line up features, know it's based on point averages and sometimes other factors. Heat race winners don't always start front row etc. Think getting fans involved in the program is great and keeping it random helps too imo.

Sorry guys, I just had to chime in. My suggestion is to start the heat races with an inverted points average. We did this at CC Speedway and it worked out great. At the halfway car count of the night you split the field for heats. A third for 3 heats, a 4th for 4. What you have is a series of mini features using heat races with most of the entries racing their peers. I loved watching drivers that never won a feature carry the checkered and getting a photo doing that even though its just a heat race. It would mean a great deal to somebody you never hear from. Its great to watch for the fans also, its a different kind of race. The heats become more interesting. The fast guys don't have to dodge the slower ones and the slower ones get to race among themselves for a win.

For the feature you can do inside/outside or however you want to line them up using the heats finishes. This will mix the field and end the predictable outcome plus make everybody a better driver.You don't even need a draw for a tiny invert that does not do a lot anyway.

You will put joy to somebody that otherwise will never have that memory.

GB you made me roll over laughing ..you said . I LOVED WATCHING DRIVERS WHO NEVER WON A FEATURE CARRY THE FLAG .that is as long as you are not in that feature ...thanks I needed that laugh .but I agree it is fun seeing someone new get their first ...as for the invert some love it some don't just depends on where you were going to start to begin with ..but agree with a track doing so to make it a better race ..why not two inverts .one for the top ten and the second one for the bottom 12 or 15 or so ..now that would be interesting ..anyway working on getting Joshua up and running ..

Ken,

I enjoyed our talk during intermission, Personally I thought it was a great show, pure stocks once again putting on a great race. Good racing all around and headed home at 10:30. A Win Win! Keep up the good work!!

Steven

PS ,Hope the 17 ministock comes back, he was starting to figure that dirt stuff out!

The 17 is don yokum he has had plenty of laps in many different type of cars .so knowing don he wont be a back marker for long .that old tps car will make it to the front ....heck I will be driving one a few times this year so you young ones move over lol.. ofcourse I have to run that car and the track a coupe of times to figure out if I have what it takes ...that my friends leaves a big question mark may take some depends with me ..gb do you still have some ..no used loners please .

What everyone did at other tracks is different and it needs to stay that way not brought to STS. Everyone needs to spring forward to STS. Plus, we are trying to grow as a class at the same time but everyone needs to follow the rules. Because the Veterans Drivers needs to show the new rookies coming out this year how to play fair. When there is a set of rules in play everyone needs to respect them and go by them. Us, as sport compact drivers need to get on the same page. Pay attention to what is going on with the track at the time we are racing. I know for myself I avoid two accidents on Saturday night. Our class calls for regular standard tires and no mirrors in cars. I have been around racing since age of 2 yrs. old. Lets come together be grown adults and pay attention to the rules that have been set in stone for 2016 and no more grandfather in stuff from the past. The 2016 sport compacts rules are listed on Lone star. I was making sure I didn't case any accidents Saturday but I did see a lot of drivers that didn't have their head in the game at the race track. Let's start by showing good Sportsmanship in the pit especially when there is spectators' in there and not act out. You know the fans wouldn't want to come back if they seen that out of us drivers. I have been from one coast to another coast and seen cars run at other tracks. It made me feel good inside to finish a race for the first time and not be torn up. When you see little girls and little boys faces lite up when you hand them autograph and you brought a smile to a child face it makes a difference to a child.

mssexycruze2011

Archived