Update on South Texas Speedway

I was told that I am not being as open as some of you would like. I thought this morning I would share with you openly about where STS is.

South Texas Speedway has had one of its worst years that I know of. We have had little racing this year. The racing was not enough to pay for the expenses we have had. So we lost a considerable amount of money. This left us with a few choices. The first was to give up and close. My family doesn't quit easily and we threw this scenario out quickly. Then we decided to see what can we do to make 2016 a successful year. So these are the items we are working on.

1. Racing every week. (STS can only make money if we are racing, we have to find a way to race every week)

2. Keep the bar open every day. Any money it makes just helps. (We need you to show up during the week and have a beer with us)

3. We are making season tickets for our spectators and for you to give to your sponsors. They will be a discount over full price tickets

4. We invested in the entry road. If we can't get in we can't open

5. We are working on a weekly brochure for our spectators

6. We are creating a small STS sticker for us all to put on our personal vehicles to advertise the track.

7. We are going to have a full store next year where we sell and rent items.

8. We are adding signage for our sponsors. ( we need a sponsor for every class and every week.)

9. We are adding draft beer.

10. We are updating our Facebook, twitter and website

11. We have agreed to the Kenny Wallace racing experience.

If we are going to stay open in 2017 we will need your support. So what can you do for STS

1. Be positive (leave the drama to the bed room)

2. Tell people about the track and how much fun you have

3. Come drink some beers at the Turn 5 bar. We are having a big Halloween party. Trick or treat then come hang out with us.

4. Ask your company if they are interested in a sponsorship at the track.

5. Race when you can, watch when you can't.

Thank you all for your support. We are working hard to make 2016 the greatest year at STS.

Ken Hobbs

just a suggestion ..don't start the season so early in the year if you are looking at every weekend for racing ..less likely for chances of rain outs where you know the chance is higher that cost you .... maybe run twos weekend .then one off then three on and one off and so forth ..just so teams have a better chance to and more time to fix those wrecked cars .how bout bbq cook offs .. chilly cook offs things not racing related but do earn the track money ,

It should be understood 2015 was a bad year with the rain .Not only were races lost but a lot of time and money was used pumping water etc.I like the idea of a track store.I know I bought a lot of stuff at Longhorn , Rio Grande and SAS over the years at theirs.I feel safe in saying if there is racing at STS the fans will be there.They always have no reason to believe they won't now.STS is a fun place.I've said for years the racers there as a group in each class they run,Pures andLM's in particular,are some of the best anywhere around.Thank you, Mr.Hobbs, for not giving up.I'm sure 2016 will be great.

Ken,

Lone Star Speedzone is here for your use as well as the social media you mentioned. We have a wider range than the STS social media, so it's a good way to get the word out to a wider audience.

Let me know how I can help y'all out.

Nick

Ken is not asking for anything that is not already expected of us.I for 1 have always given full support at whichever track Im involved with.I travel almost 300 miles to race and have done so for 21 years lately and for 2 years in the 80s.I see no reason to not give full support for 2016 as well.

Hiteck theres no reason why the track should not race every week especially with the number of series available.Rotating classes keeps the show active AND gives teams time off.I always believed todays tracks need to be more of an outdoor sports arena with lots of activities not necessarly just dirt car racing.Things like concerts, bike ralleys, club events etc. RGS benifited greatly when the local chapter of the Gypsi Motorcycle Club became seriously involved. One nite we were even going to have a raceling nite with a full card of a wrestling show at halftime.There was a ring set up in the infield where our go cart track is now.We also had quads as a series, there a pretty big club and usually had over 20 racing 4 wheelers per event.We still need to figure out how to get the tuner croud vested here too. Compact racing is a great avenue for them. A mud drag pit also brought a croud we normally don't see and they are always looking for a place to hose events, aka a Sunday afternoon. Even a track and field event or a charity event could prosper the track and give people a place to host such things. The choices are limited only to the imagination of the promoter. I always thought it a good idea to team up with a professional promoter or orginazition that does that for a living to do just that outside of racing.

STS can host a crowd, has lights and facilities to handle hundreds of people day or night.And the more money they make, the more they can pay us compacts. Its a win win deal.

Why not start a thread about ideas for STS to host events and let our promoter look at them. Meantime no bitching and show up! Everyone is important to the world of racing, spectators, racers, sponsors, safety workers etc, 2016 looks very promising.

Those are some good ideas Ken and I plan on being there every week my work schedule allows. Ironically 3 on 1 off would work perfectly for me since our on call schedule at work is every fourth week but the schedule is out and will compare STS schedule to work and see how well it meshes. Hope for good things in 2016.

How about on a Friday night or Sunday try a legal Street car only, one lap timed drag race the clock event. Corpus has a hugh illegal street racing scene, You could set the purse by the gate and or entry fee, have classes or winner take all. You might make some extra money, as well as getting them off the street. Not to mention get a few new spectators and racers. Might be worth a try, I for one would pay to watch, I entered a few of these as a kid they were always packed.

Archived