Getting people in the stands @ SAS

5StarRacing

Here is the only problem before the TSRS there was roughly 8 to 10 cars that went through the gate at any given time in the SSS class. Here is a short list of who would show up going by that list now...

David Edwards

Robert Barker

Beau (Imnotgonnamisspellyourlastname)

Probrobly #7 Yellow car

These would be just about the only regualrs from last year that would either show up or would be allowed to show up. The rest you would have to pull from out of town which THR isn't doing so why would SAS be able to?

Now in referance to things that could chang I think personally there needs to be a class between the Sportsman and the LM's but do you make it a spec class with crate motors and a SuperStock Body? I dunno

Here is a novel idea since they raised the price at the front gate to $12 a person there has not been racing worth that price. Now when they had 4 to 5 classes on alternate weekends it was worth it. Since the roadrunner class doesn't exist with only 2 cars then the admission price should be lowered. I know that SAS is running in the red but maybe by lowering the price they might be able to get more people in the statnds. More bang for the buck.

When SAS first allowed aftermarket bodies for the Super Street Stocks..... that's the time that SAS should have made the switch to a truck body only class. This class would have had more appeal to the spectators and would have differentiated itself from the Nascar Late Models.

As a spectator I have been to about 90% of the races since the track opened. I quit going 2 years ago, unless I had comp. tickets. In the last few years they dropped the late model heat races. They dropped the modifieds. They dropped the SSS. They dropped a bomber class and combined it with another. They added the 2 new entry classes with almost no cars.

While the above was taking place the admission was raised to $12. Less bang for more bucks. At $10 I would likely still be going. So how much did the increases price help the track.

I notice in NSSN that nationwide the tracks that are doing well are tracks with low admission prices ($7). These tracks have lots of people in the stands. Look and see how many young men and women are in the stands. These are the future fans and racers but we price them out.

No spectators, no purse, no exposure, no sponsors, no cars, no races.

:) Key word is promote,give tickets to radio stations to give out for exposure. SAS does not have a 12$ show much less a 10$ show with only,correct me if I am wrong 29 cars this last weekend. Do like Devils Bowl Speedway pick a few local communities and let them in for free with a valid ID. you should make it up at the concession stand. Even do what Ricci Ware did let the basic trainees in for free with uniform on. Try a 5$ admission special one night.Here is another suggestion,I know some of you hate to hear this,but drop the NASCAR sanction,it is obvious that the car count has dropped ever since the track became sactioned,the track has to pay insurance and the sanction fee. Boyd raceway saved 40,000$ a year after they dropped their sanction. The track pays more in their than most tracks in the state,but the other tracks get more cars,yes I know dirt is cheaper to run on,try not to have rule changes so often,and don't let the show lag so much. Even several years ago when they started at 7 no more cars than they had the show should have been over at 9.

Lots of good ideas here, and sometimes the math gets too fuzzy for some track operators across the nation....

1000 people x $12 = $12,000 in the ticket booth

1500 people x $10 = $15,000 (that's 3,000 more dinero)

2000 people x $8 = $16,000 (hmmm, a trend here??)

even if you only get 1500 at $8, you're still getting your $12k......

.....and, remember...those extra 500 people are gonna get hungry/thirsty sometime during the evening.............

Just my $.02

Billy

Sounds like pretty basic math to me, Billy.

And I've been to Devils Bowl to see their plan in action. You let a particular town's people in free. You will get all their coke and hot dog money and maybe a shirt. More than an empty seat. But most importantly, several of them will become regulars--IF you put on a show that is good enough to keep their interest.

There lies the problem. SAS for example. $12 to get in, and watch two classes that average 12 to 18 cars each run a show that usually lasts until midnight.

People get tired of that and quit going unless it's a special show. The weekly show suffers, the track doesn't pay enough, racers go on to a traveling series. NOT knocking series racing--I'm involved with two classes of them.

But if the promoters don't start paying attention to their weekly racing, We are all going to have a bunch of good looking cars sitting in the shops because there won't be a track left in the state we can run them at.

I don't see any of them making it as a special events only venue. If people aint showing up on a scheduled weekend night, how will you get them on a special night? Not everyone has internet, and the tracks don't advertise enough.

All our touring stuff is good, Romco has a big following, but if the tracks don't start doing stuff to bring back a competitive and exciting weekly show, we'll all be seeing each other at Mobile, Opp, Pensacola---Maybe running them around cones in a parking lot. Wal-Mart Int'l Raceway??

Remember also, if we lose SAS and Kyle, who out there is gonna put up the dollars to build a replacement? Not to mention the political palm greasing required to accomplish anything in San Antonio, and the inevitable noise complaints from some clown 3 miles away who thinks he can hear the cars if he stands on his roof.

If SAS had good car counts in the stands and a timely run show and still nobody was coming to the stands then I can see dropping the price of admission. Being in sales, the last thing I want to do is lower my prices. I think SAS needs to work more on putting more cars on the track. I'm not saying they aren't trying hard now. I know Mike is trying to generate more interest in getting more competitors out weekly. Maybe we can all make some suggestions on how to accomplish that...

How bout approaching the salvage yards on Hwy 16 and somerset rd. and solicit them to get 1 or 2 road runners racin. They have parts, could build car relatively inexpensively. ... 2 cars running on track gets them a sign on the front stretch....

How bout it, any other hair-brained ideas like mine?

We have to make the races an event not just another saturday night race ,the hocky guys do it, the baseball guys do it , the Spurs do it better than anybody else.NASCAR makes a race into a traveling carnival, it's a happining!We have good racing but no "show". What would LasVegas be without the glitz and glamor?NASCAR has made their stars who are our stars? When was the last time someone ask you,hey are you guys going to the races? I'll see you there. Enthusiasm is contagious, catch it! Can the youth of Justin Oates overcome the experance of Marcus Bellino? After two runnerup finishes in a row How soon will Jessie Salazar win! will these Questions be answered saturday night or will there be a new set of questions on sunday morning?

Sorry for my babbling Jim C

Seen a few good thoughts.

I to agree that $12.00 is to much. Admission needs to be lower, I thought when we went from $8.00 to $10.00, that my dad was crazy. I don't really think we lost any of the core crowd. I think $10.00 is a fair price for both the track & the fans.

Drop NASCAR - Are you crazy? NASCAR not only provides the track with national sponsors, it pays the drivers additional money, both at the end or the year & on special race nights. But the biggest reason is the insurance. There is not any other insurance that is better for the driver or affordable for the track. If you think that the insurance policy is not important, ask someone like Mike Meeks. He was burned , when we had the track. THe insurance company wrote a check for $10,000 and said good luck. I don't know excactly what he medical bills were, but I think it was in the $50,000 range. Most of our medical insurance doesn't pick up the difference, because you are doin it was a wage /or profit (haha).

Finally, I think Jim's thoughts of going back to "Ricci Ware Style Promotion" is a great ideal. NAMES, HOMETOWNS, CATCHY PHASES, Etc. in some Radio Ads would help.

CAR SHOWS, FREE TICKETS TO CORPORATIONS, RADIO STATION CONTEST (give them all the same amount of tickets to give away on air & see which one you get the most back), MILITARY, $5.00 NIGHT

They are to many empty seats, free people will still buy t-shirts, caps, food, drinks and maybe it the drivers & the track put on a good show, they will pay to come back next week.

A good test would be try a few 2 for 1 nights. See if that would get people in the stands. If that does not work, you will probably have to go out and attract new fans. This would take time and someones resources to get out there and let people know that the track is even there. The question I get asked the most when I invite someone to come watch a race is "Where is San Antonio Speedway?" If all of your old customers die, you have two choices, get new ones or close the doors.

Here's a couple of other ones....some simple...some not...just shooting from the hip......

As far as a show...

- How many remember how well Elmer Gene made the non-racing lulls in the night entertaining?? Most people can't remember many of the drivers during those years, but they remember Elmer Gene. Entertain them(esp. the kids!). See what a coyote does at a basketball game??

- Seen this a couple of places, Pcola for one. Put a guy down in the pits with a wireless roving mike. Tell the fans what's going on, who's working on what repairs, what happened during that last heat, etc...... If they can find out what's happening down there they might be a little more interested, might even decide they want to be down there in the action and ya got a new racer.

Admissions...

1. Bring your ticket stub back next week, and get $$ off when you buy another ticket. Doesn't have to be a whole lot, heck a couple of dollars off and I can buy another beer next week(hmmm, and we made the dollars on the beer too, interesting!).

2. Print some coupons and put them in some gas stations, c-stores, etc. $2, $5, half price, whatever. Put it in your ad or on your radio ad.."Get your discount coupons at Stop-N-Robit". When the store sees how many people are coming thru their door to get your coupon, the store will want to see what else they can do to work with you.

3. Half price admission for everyone bringing a canned food item for the local food bank. Don't stop there! Most important, get your media to get you a story on how much you raised, who you gave it to, etc. Somebody watching, reading at home, says "Hmmm, maybe those racers aren't all a bunch of rowdy, careless rednecks after all"

Okay, that counts for about $.02 and a half cents.

Billy

The "Comp Ticket" idea is one of the best, but seldom used ways of getting butts in seats. Promoter of the Year awardee, Lanny Edwards(Devils Bowl) has been doing this for years, with great success. HRP has gone to school districts giving Comp tix to kids to get their parents involved, free "Service" nights, military, fire and police. Especially with Memorial day coming up. What do Comp tix cost a track---other than printing---nothing. But as mentioned above those same people are gonna spend money on concessions, souvenirs.

Even if you only get 5% return out of 100 people, that's still five new faces, who will more than likely bring friends, spouses, girlfiends(hopefully not the same night-LMAO)

ROMCO gave 10 tickets to The Ranch Radio in Kerrville for the ROMCO-TAMS-TSRS race at SAS. The Ranch gave them away in a contest. I counted over 70 people from Kerrville at that race (and I'm sure I don't know everyone). Sounds like a good return on investment to me. If ROMCO can figure this out-----------?!!!!

As proof, here is some timely info from the Dallas Morning News, 5/22/03 edition....and not just one city, but 12!

(And this is with the Texas IMCA Nationals going on this weekend in the area too!)

"Devil's Bowl Speedway in Mesquite is offering free admission on Saturday to residents of Plano, Richardson, Coppell, Addison, Lewisville, Allen, McKinney, Flower Mound, Carrollton, Farmer's Branch, Frisco, and The Colony."

If you haven't been to the Metroplex lately(and some of those cities don't look familiar) that is a ton of people to offer this to.

Wow!

Billy

Hey, reb... I know you may already be on the way up here for the IMCA show, but I found this from a couple of weeks ago....5/8/03 DMN report on the previous week at Devils Bowl.

"A crowd of around 3,000 people showed, with more than half getting in free because the track was holding Mesquite Night. This Saturday(5/10), admission is free for residents of Balch Springs, Seagoville, Combine, Crandall, and Kaufman."

OK, now let's see 1500 got in free and I'm sure they visited the concession stand sometime during the night($$), and maybe bought a tshirt or souvenir($$) since they didn't have to pay $40 - $50(or more) to get the family in the place.

And, then, if you only convinced 1/4 of them to come back again because you gave 'em a good show, then you've picked up 375 new fans.

Interesting, verrrry interesting!

Billy

I haven't been to Devil's Bowl in years.....10 probably. Saw the WOO there about 92-93. I don't have to go that far......

Heck, I have two race tracks(next door to each other) within a couple of miles from my house. When the mods or sprints run on a Saturday night, I can stand in my front yard and hear most of the action from Cowtown or Kennedale. Spin the tires on the minivan in the driveway and the smell makes it almost like I'm there in person!!!!! LOL!!!

And on the occasional Sat. that I can make it over there, we got one of the best new tracks(even if it is that dirt stuff....coming from one raised on SAS asphalt) at KSP. $10 to get in, kids get in for next to nothing, $1 for a coke, $1.25 for a hot dog, and sit back and watch 5-6 classes of cars with full fields. And Cowtown sitting right next door, with a ton of cars in the pits too.

These two tracks are doing something right.

Archived