Thanks to Arob and LSSZ for a wonderful memory

Thanks to Arob and Lone Star Speed Zone for posting a thread called "Great weekend of racing coming up." In this thread Arob discusses a racetrack in Edna Texas called Texana raceway Park. On the schedule was the Hudgeons Memorial race for Limited Modifieds. I have been a loyal Houston Motorsports Park race fan for the last 15 years, but with the circle track not running, it was time to venture out and support a new track. I have never even been to Edna, Tx and it being such a pretty Saturday afternoon, I decided to take the back roads from Houston and went through Angleton, Bay City and come in the backway on hwy 111.

I arrived a bit early and the pits were packed. 52 limited modifieds from all over were there to qualify for 25 starting positions for the feature. Also there were 14 Pure stocks and 10 street stocks. Heats started about 7pm and by then the grand stands were full. A very clean facility, the sound system was very good. I had my lawn chair off corner 4 and have never sat that close to a track before. Everything about the place was very good. Special thanks to "Big Dog", a former employee of the track to give me all of the background information on the track and it's people that really makes you feel at home. Concessions were very good and affordable and most of all the people there were very friendly and enjoyed the racing.

Congratulations to the track management on a very good show. Everything rolled off as expected, accident clearances were done quickly and most of all the racing was very exciting. The skill level of these drivers was amazing. A wonderful night with wonderful memories and I thought I had found a new home track for the rest of the season.

Unfortunately the track will be closing due to financial circumstances, but thanks Arob for getting me out there and I will spend the rest of the summer at all of the tracks within a 4 hour driving distance from Houston. Thanks again.

Uncle Bob,

Glad you could make it to the Hudgeons Memorial. It has become a wonderful tradition in honor of a man who many admired.

Keep in mind, Bob, that the Allison Legacys might get you even up closer from behind the wheel!

Glad to see you're having fun.

Nick

You are very welcome,Mr. Bob. I am happy you enjoyed the evening.TRP is neat little track. Yes the next big event is the two night ASCS event at Shady Oaks Speedway in Goliad. This is a unique and beautiful facility with long straights and tight turns. The Sprints reach some breath taking speed on those straights. The support classes are good as well with the first visit from the E-Mods a class started a few years ago at South Texas Speedway in Corpus.The class is mostly made up of drivers in their teens and you will be surprised the skill they have at that young age.Hopefully they can dial in to a new track and it will show. Thank you for making the trip and I hope we can meet at Shady Oaks.

Archived