Prayers for the Grimes family - Leon Grimes passed away

NickHolt

We get word from a close family friend that Leon Grimes, father of Tommy Grimes and a key figure in the history of San Antonio Speedway, passed away last night with Tommy at his side.

Please pray for the Grimes family and friends.

Nick

Leon owned and operated Thomas Wheel Aligning & Brake on San Antonio's Southwest side, not far from Kelly AFB.

Back in the day (1975 as I recall), Johnny Ivy and I took our newly-built Vega mini stock that we ran at both Pan American Speedway in San Antonio and Paramount Speedway in Austin to Leon to set the front end. Neither Johnny nor I knew much about set up at the time but we knew that Leon was the man in the know.

Leon worked on that car for a couple of hours during business hours and finally declared, "There, that out to be in the ballpark." We asked Leon how much we owed him and if you knew Leon, you already know the answer to that questions. "You don't owe me a thing. Just have fun. See ya at the track."

I know there are a lot of similar stories about Leon out there. He was a good man.

Rest in Peace, Leon Grimes.

Nick

Tommy Grimes came up in a conversation on a Facebook the last few days. Grew up watching him race, sad news to hear of his father's passing, thoughts and prayers to family and friends. Nick, the world needs more people like that to help racers get out there for the love of the sport, big loss.

Leon in his zone, working at Don Bierschwale's shop. This was Eddie Bierschwale's first Cup car, an ex-Harry Gant Skoal Bandit car.

Thoughts and prayers to All the Family and Friends of Leon.

post-21-0-29999800-1421020582_thumb.jpg

The Griffin families are praying for the Leon and Tommie Grimes families. The Griffin and Grimes families go back to Hale county Al and Osceola Ark. We are cousins.

Leon's racing friends and family lost a good man. We will see you racing in that big house in the sky some day.

Marvin and Louie Griffin familes

And all the Grimes from Osceola, Knoxville Tenn,Selmar Tenn. and Miss. Wish to thank Lone Star Speed Zone for the posting.

KEEP ON RACING!

Gonna miss him. He always was there for a handshake and a "how are you doin".

First time I ever talked to him was in the ROMCO days. We were at corpus. He walked over to my trailer as we were all standing around scratching our head trying to figure our car out. He walked up and said, "your related to Clarence right?" " You got a nice car and a good crew." Thanks I said. "but your setup isnt worth a shit" I was speechless. LOL

Prayers for Tommy and family. Rest in peace Leon

Archived