Racing’s biggest threat: The very people who love it the most

Jamie

ITS TRUE .AND ALL OF US CAN PLEAD GUILTY TO SOME OF THIS ....BUT YOU CANT STOP AT THE WEB ..AWAY FROM THE TRACK IN PUBLIC COUNTS ......LATELY I HAVE BEEN SENDING PM.S TO THOSE I HAVE A QUESTION FOR OVER PUTTING IT HERE SO FOLKS WONT THINK I AM BASHING OR STARTING SOMETHING TO GET THE PANTS ON FIRE OR JUST CANT SEEM TO GET A MANAGER OR STAFF TO LISTEN ....NOT 100 PERCENT BUT ILL GET BETTER AT IT ..MOST OF OUR BS IS PASSION GETTING OUT OF HAND ....I KNOW ITS BEEN A WHILE SENSE NICK HAS SLAPPED MY HAND ..FORGOT WHAT THE STING FELT LIKE NICK ..

Some of us figured this out over a decade ago. My hat's off to Jason Mutchler, who was still in high school at the time, but saw that bashing was hurting more than helping and partnered with me and a couple of others to launch Texas Speedzone which is now Lone Star Speedzone.

Am I discouraged that many promoters/owners would rather get on Facebook and spend all day trying to defend themselves from the bashers? Yep. Especially when I offer LSSZ to them with no strings attached.

All they have to do is just stop responding on FB and announce that they will only respond on Lone Star Speedzone to legitimate questions and issues. Sooner or later the bashers will realize that they are yelling and screaming to a few fellow idiots while the rest of us are enjoying life over here on the positive side of the world.

If you know a Texas promoter/owner who might benefit from using Lone Star Speedzone as their official forum, let them (and me) know. It's free and by my being on here almost constantly saves them lots of time and effort better spent on getting the track ready for the next event.

Nick

Social media to me is more damaging than good.All it takes is one person to be mad at a waiter/waitress,restaurant,dirty bathroom etc. and they go and post something that is not true or more than it was.Poor business really has to respond in some way. We all have gripes and we try hard to be careful how we post.Does social media close a track? Not by itself.I don't think you can put 100% of the blame on Facebook etc.There has to be issues before the posting gets started.I put dwindling car counts at the top of my list.And we all know what some of the reasons are for that.Look at NASCAR.They are lucky if they can fill 60-70% of their seats.Even worse for the Trucks and Nationwise.I think social media plays a very small part of that.It is the product in their case.

It's definitely a double edge sword. You have people raving about a track or place, their friends want to check it out, they like it, their friends come out, etc. the ease of social media is a convenient mouthpiece for people and how much easier is it to type something than say it verbally, especially if it's potentially confrontational. The user is responsible, not the technology. That being said, there's a fine line between criticism and bashing but again the burden is on the user to tow that line before it gets destructive.

Well said Nick. And I also have to admit Im just as guilty. Makes me more mad at myself for being stupid when I go back and read a day or two later something I post. The readily available social media in my opinion is the problem with more then just racing. But i wont get into that. I hope we can recover from it.

Every track has issues... I have been associated with a bunch of tracks and not one of them was even close to perfect. Some worse than others, some better than others.

It is true that you can't put 100% of the blame on short tracks closing on Social Media. But more often then not it's the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

I have never met a promoter or track owner who took on that responsibility with evil intentions. Maybe there is one somewhere, but all that I have known have clearly loved the sport - usually first as a competitor or super fan - and their motive has been to give racers and fans a great place to race. None of them have purposefully set out to make people mad, cheat for someone or other or rip racers and fans off. But to read the social media, you'd think all promoters are the scum of the earth.

Nick

It's definitely a double edge sword. You have people raving about a track or place, their friends want to check it out, they like it, their friends come out, etc. the ease of social media is a convenient mouthpiece for people and how much easier is it to type something than say it verbally, especially if it's potentially confrontational. The user is responsible, not the technology. That being said, there's a fine line between criticism and bashing but again the burden is on the user to tow that line before it gets destructive.

I couldn't agree more!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived