Here's the flyer for the Budweiser 250 at CTS this Saturday

NickHolt

Ok, I'm going to be "That Guy".

Let me say first, sincerely, this isn't a slam on CTS, the promoters or the designers of the ad. It's a nice ad, so PLEASE take this as constructive criticism.

Here's what I get from it:

There's a 250 (mile or lap) modified race at a racetrack in somewhere in Central Texas.

Something tells me that isn't totally accurate. Additionally, there's no start time, no location, no directions, no admission prices, no phone numbers to call, no website to visit.

I suppose in this day and age, the facebook, twitter and instagram (?) symbols tell me where I can get more information. What if a potential fan doesn't have access? Or isn't a member of those websites?

The sport is hurting at all levels. Car counts and attendance are down. I think one way to draw in potential fans in the stands is to hit them in the face with it...give them the information they need then and there because they may forget to look it up later.

Imagine a first time fan showing up at CTS expecting to see a 250-lap Open Wheel Modified race...and that's not what you get. I went to a track in Florida advertising a "Insert Sponsor 100". It was 40 laps for the late models, 25 for the street stocks, 20 for the street stocks and 15 for the 4 cylinders. That's not what the ad led me to believe - and wasn't too happy about it.

Believe me, I see the same thing here in California and other parts of the country as well. For example, I saw a flyer for the "So-Cal Showdown" at Perris Auto Speedway. The World of Outlaws will be in town with the USAC/CRA wingless sprints. It's the first time ever the two have paired up and should be quite a show. Yet, on the So Cal Showdown advert there's no mention of the Outlaws. How can you leave that little detail out?

I love the sport and want to see it thrive again. I don't care if it's Late Models, Modifieds, Street Stocks or Sprint Cars. I'm just afraid there's too much emphasis on Social Media and we've lost sight of some of the basics.

I enjoyed CTS (Thunderhill) the couple of times I made it there and encourage anyone who hasn't been to the track to check it out. Best of luck in the future!

Edited by PAPosse

I appreciate your concern, PAPosse and I know you mean well. But... and there's always a but, right? But, why not bring what you perceive to be a misleading flyer up with the track management rather than in a public forum?

I'm sure Matt, Chris, Brad and Rodney are good listeners - at least they always have been with me.

Nick

I appreciate your concern, PAPosse and I know you mean well. But... and there's always a but, right? But, why not bring what you perceive to be a misleading flyer up with the track management rather than in a public forum?

I'm sure Matt, Chris, Brad and Rodney are good listeners - at least they always have been with me.

Nick

I thought it was extremely positive constructive criticism that a lot more than just CTS could learn from. If he were to take it up with just the management, then other tracks and/or series wouldn't be privy to the valuable input. IMO

I thought it was extremely positive constructive criticism that a lot more than just CTS could learn from. If he were to take it up with just the management, then other tracks and/or series wouldn't be privy to the valuable input. IMO

Jamie,

The post is still up and I did not consider it a bash. But I do think that pointing out that the track may be misleading folks is better said face to face than in a forum.

Thanks for your concern, though, and to some extent I agree.

Nick

Thanks Nick. Yes, there's always a "but". I easily could have started my post with "Nobody asked me, BUT...."

I will say up front that it was not my intent to single out CTS management. I tried to make that clear and included an example from another track.

No doubt, they have done some great things for a track that just a few years ago seemed destined to go the way of SAS. Before moving out of Texas, I saw a few ads on tv. It's definitely something being done right. If the stands are full, then yes, they are doing something right.

As for why I didn't feel the need to say something privately - I don't believe there is intent to mislead or deceive. If I was accusing them of intentionally misleading the audience, then I most definitely would have taken it private.

The method used to come up with the "250" is not new and CTS is nowhere near the first to use it, and won't be the last. Personally, I don't like it because it lacks clarity and there is the potential for misunderstanding (see the schedule thread). BUT, I do understand it as do most others who have been around the sport for awhile. I also understand I'm not going to change something that's been going on for years. So we can take it for what it is..

As for the other things I pointed out, I'm just asking to step back and try to look at it from another perspective: Maybe through the eyes of someone who's only watched Cup races on TV, someone who has never been to the track or possibly never been to a short track event at all. Maybe that person is in Austin for a conference looking for something to do on the weekend. Maybe they are military passing through or newly assigned. If you were in those shoes, what do you take from the flyer?

If anybody from CTS management would like to discuss it I'm more than willing. Just drop me an IM through the site and your phone number and I'll call you back.

I wish everyone involved continued success and thanks for the dedication and commitment it takes to run a speedway.

Edited by PAPosse

PAPosse we did not take it in a negative way at all and we appreciate the notes. There are many great points in the post. That flyer we designed specifically for the LSSZ forum where we had already posted the detailed race day schedule. Any other outside of what we consider our core group of fans and/or racers we do a detailed schedule if at all possible.

I do understands how the the outside fan or individual the flyer would be be pretty plain and generic to the eye if not familiar how the race day typically lays out at Central Texas Speedway.

We do thank everyone as well for the positive feedback here as well and as I mentioned none our management group is upset with any feedback as a matter of fact we encourage it and will always embrace it as we are looking to build CTS into the most racer/fan driven race track as possible.

Look forward to the weekend coming up and the rest of the 2014 season!!

Rodney Rodriguez

CTS mgmt team

Thanks for your understanding Rodney! I certainly understand the ad above is geared toward those who frequent the forum....BUT (there's that word again)....when I look at the bottom of these forums, I sometimes wonder who the "guests" and "anonymous users" are. Maybe they are potential fans or even competitors. Quite honestly, even though it was posted earlier, I didn't recall seeing the schedule until last night....but that's just me so there was some confusion on my part.

Again, I appreciate your openness. My posts are from a fan perspective, and I'm sure as a promoter it's difficult to balance the front gate with the back gate and sponsor demands. I'm not so sure I could do it myself.

There are a lot of common issues nationwide regarding attendance numbers, car counts, purses and cost. When I moved back to California (I was here from 98-2004), I was shocked to see the lack of cars and fans in the stands. The place was thriving when I left.....and the economy has taken it's toll everywhere. When I talk to my friends back east it's much the same. That said, I think there are a lot of good things going on in Texas right now. I don't think there's many places that can say they've had a new track built recently....and it would be great to actually have to add stands at CTS!

On a side note, even though I'm originally from the NJ/PA area, and currently live in California. I continue to read and post here because I enjoyed my time in Texas and like to keep up with whats going on the best I can. I feel like I made some friends and became a fan of a few drivers along the way. My first and last race in Texas was at SAS (March 2007 and October 2012) and I attended I-37 fairly regularly. Like most everyone else, I hate what has happened there and hope the remaining tracks can survive.

Best of luck in 2014 and beyond! If/when I pass through I'll be sure to take in a show somewhere.

Edited by PAPosse