Simple Question for Fans and Drivers

SASPEEDRACER24

Do you feel welcome at the track you attend most frequently?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel welcome at the track you attend most frequently?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Sure
    • Does it matter
    • I dont care

Comments? Please add below... At most businesses in todays world they emphasise that they make the customers feel welcome when they step though the doors so that they will come back again and again and again... I dont know if the same theory would work here but I have seen how it works at other tracks around the state and country... Joe Armendia in a previous post alluded to how tracks need to make the drivers and fans welcome at their respective track what do you think... (Or does it matter) Also if you say no or not sure what would you like to see done or changed to make you feel more welcome... With that said remember the Owners and GM's of most of these tracks read these posts so what you say may be implemented dont be shy...

A good many of the posts here on TSZ already deal with some aspect of what people don't like about a given track or track owner/manager. I hope this thread doesn't turn into a giant bash session.

Nick Holt

NICK, WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES UP A RACETRACK(PEOPLE} .SO WHAT CAN YOU BASH. OWNERS, PROMOTORS AND THE LIKE.

Maybe so Nick but how often does how someone feel come up when discussing what tracks can do better... I personally felt I was treated well at all the tracks I have attended this year HCR I-37 Waco McAllen Houston SAS Abilene CCSpeedway SAR TMS.. Was that because I was media or because that how they wanted it to look? If you went to a business and didnt feel welcome would you want to go back?

"There is only one boss. The customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else."- Sam Walton

"It starts with respect. If you respect the customer as a human being, and truly honor their right to be treated fairly and honestly, every thing else is much easier."

Doug Smith

Marc,

With that said remember the Owners and GM's of most of these tracks read these posts so what you say may be implemented dont be shy...

I understand your purpose in starting this thread and, knowing you, I am sure it is a noble one. However, as Moderator, I can see that your invitation to "don't be shy..." could be taken as an invitation to bash away.

I just don't want this thread to turn into a session where people feel free to bash track owners, promoters, front gate people, ticket takers, concessionaires, or anyone who works at a track (usually for nothing or for very little compensation).

Thanks.

Nick Holt

NICK, WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES UP A RACETRACK(PEOPLE} .SO WHAT CAN YOU BASH. OWNERS, PROMOTORS AND THE LIKE.

Matt,

Yep. People make up a good portion of the folks who operate race tracks... Let's not bash them is all I'm asking here.

Nick Holt

Well I guess it will be 7 replies before the subject gets addressed. At SAS and THR I felt welcome. I met Chuck Licata and he was very friendly and came down and talked with my family and myself. One thing about SAS though. This doesn't really pertain to feeling welcome but every time I see Track staff there they seem to be in a hurry, kind of like they have some important fire to put out. It just makes for a lesser level of comfort. I'm not sure if I am explaining that very well, but maybe some of you know what I mean. Debbie Williams did an excellent job of making me feel welcome out there, and several regulars and teams have done the same.

I guess I never really thought about it because I always kind of looked at it like a Football game or something of that nature. It's just something "you do". If you like racing, you'll go to the track. If you don't you won't. But, maybe making someone feel "welcome" can help make them "like racing". One thing that really made me feel welcome about THR was being able to bring my own chair and set up at the top of the hill and relax. Sitting in bleachers isn't always "welcoming", but sitting in your own fold out feels "like home". Plus, as Rookie49 said, Chuck has never been anything but a gentleman when meeting with him. It doesn't matter what's going on on the track he'll pause to shake a hand and ask how you're doing.

Guest The_Greek
I understand your purpose in starting this thread and, knowing you, I am sure it is a noble one. However, as Moderator, I can see that your invitation to "don't be shy..." could be taken as an invitation to bash away.

I just don't want this thread to turn into a session where people feel free to bash track owners, promoters, front gate people, ticket takers, concessionaires, or anyone who works at a track (usually for nothing or for very little compensation).

Thanks.

Nick Holt

geeze Nick, 3 posts out of 6 are yours and they all say the same, "dont let this thread turn into a bash thread" noone has even bashed anyone or any track. btw it might be wise to listen to what some of the fans have to think about local race tracks. you seem to think that just because someone voices their opinion good or bad its automatically a bash (which has always been a personal problem between me and you)

ill get the ball rolling...as most of you know i go to most of the tracks in our region, ive never felt unwanted at any of them, i will say that SAS and CCMS seem to be the most friendliest probably cause i recognized more people there. if indeed people are interested in how to maybe make a racetrack more hospitable towards its racing fans, how bout a fan appreciation night...something like 5 buck admission. buy one get one free. how bout cutting some of the outrageous concession prices. and lastly how bout more events at tracks for the kids.

the folks @ SAS are great, Ms. McMullen and Ms. Shanklin are always glad to see you @ the pit gate and Charlotte always comes by to wish you a safe trip home. That's a pretty classy group.

The THR group, Kathy and her daughter always greet you very happily @ the pit gate. Jack & Nick always stop in to say hey.. pretty cool too !!!!

THR is my home track and I have always felt comfortable there. CCMS seems like home away from my home track. Everyone there has been friendly and made me feel welcome...from Owen, CCMS staff, officials and the other racers I have met there. We had a dispute over pit spaces at I37 but the gentlman who had paid for the year was very friendly and worked with us. SAS has always been a good place to go and feel welcome as a racer or a spectator but as an official with a series...one bad night can often overshadow all the good. Texas Thunder and Heart Of Texas...well I enjoyed watching races there but I can't really get a feel for a track unless I'm racing or in the pits.

Don't forget the Baker's in Houston. They always seem to appreciate our patronage. I don't think I have had a bad experience at any of the tracks. I was impressed with the folks at TMS. For a couple of local touring series to be catered to like we were the big show was a real treat.

I have raced many tracks over the years and only one made me feel uncomfortable.It wanted to decide who could race in what class.It had a habbit of telling people to get out of a class and " move up" to another.The result was that many of good racers quit and never raced again.I was kicked out and allowed back at least twice.I am not going to say what track it is but their car count is at an all time low.I call CC Speedway my home track even though it is 135 miles away.The reason is they have always welcomed me as if I was a local.MR.YOCUM TOLD ME IN 1994 THAT I WAS GOING TO BE TREATED THE SAME AS THE LOCALS,AND THAT HAS GONE ON FOR 10 YEARS EVEN WITH THE CHANGE OF OWNERSHIP.The secret to feeling good about any track is how people are treated.The key word is respect.When the racers treat each other with respect,the rest of the people do the same.The fastest guy is no more important than the slowest guy learing.Many people think we are in the racing business but we are not.We are in the show business and success depends on how good a show we put on.We can get mad at each other but never take it personally.When its not fun anymore its time to quit.That goes for any track anywhere.So I can say I have had a wonderful racing experience in the last 35 years and made many friends in many cities.Racers are some of the best people to play with.My answer is yes. G.B.Carter THUMPER 77

As an official at SAS I try to make people feel welcome and harass everyone equally! LMAO  :rolleyes:

I'll vouch for that!

Our home is SAS and we love it, maybe because we're locals...

I have to brag a little on CCMS though. The little story I'm going to tell comes second hand from Mr. K, so hopefully the facts aren't changed in any way...

This year we went to CCMS, alot the same as going into SAS in that we were welcomed from the time that we came in both days to the time we left... The weekend was bad because we chased problems with the car and eventially got in a wreck...

Here's where I have to brag on CCMS... Short time after the race Eric gets a letter in the mail along with his check. The letter says that it was nice having us in from SA and we were always welcome at CCMS, It also said that they were sorry that things went the way they did that weekend and hoped that next time they went better... It was Signed...

Now I realize that not every track has the time to do this, but in my eyes track promoters could learn alot from CCMS...

Let me not forget Kyle, the times we went up for practice this year at Kyle we were treated well also...

If a track wants to attract drivers, crews and families it only takes a moment to make someone feel welcome.

Again coming from SAS there are certain things your used to... Thanks to Mike, Bill, Debbie, Ruth, Mrs M and everybody at SAS

If you look at I-37 you can see the difference it makes if people feel welcome. If you have not been there since Joe Horne took over the whole place feels different (better). You can feel it as you get to the ticket booth. Another friendly track to out of towners id 281 Speedway in Stephenville. The Promoter goes pout of his way to introduce himself.

i want reply to this but i dont want to heart anybodys feelings.here it goes.ccms treaded me great. sas acted like they could care less if we were there or not. we got permition to use someones spot on front straight. the guy paid good money for the year, but the head guy said no and was vary.vary rudd about it.i have had a lot of fun at kyle. the people there liked having us there. houston it just not anything to say good but the hot girls at the pit gate. hope this clears this up

Howdy everyone

I think one thing is for sure here. People are the main key to a track's character! I have been treated well everywhere I have been.

But people are only part of the equation, to keep fans and participants year after year, the bar has to be raised. We all agree that no track can make everyone happy because expectations are different for each person that comes through the gate. But, pick up a copy of Berggren's Speedway magazine Jan '05 issue. His column listed as "the Inside Groove" hits the nail on the head from a spectator and racer standpoint!

turbotoddie

Todd Farris

Archived