"Romco" Meeting in Kyle

jp17

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JP, Can't tell you anything about the meeting, but I did talk to Mr Dickerson in length while he was attending the I-37 show. He asked me, respectfully, not to relate some things until after the meeting and they were finalized and released.

He did seem genuinely concerned on the state of racing in Texas, and commited to bringing about changes. The biggest idea, which has already been mentioned, is restructuring the purse to take some off the top and increase the bottom. Those are usually the guys that need it most to be able to make the next race. Many of the other things we discussed made good sense and the only sort of disagreement I have with his plans is adding another touring truck series, POSSIBLY other than ARTS, to an already saturated (touring series) market.(IMO)

I went to this meeting, Mr. Dickerson had some good info, and good ideas. Among the highlights--

New name is the "United States Racing Association." (USRA)

Restructure of the Late model purse, basically $3000 to win, $400 to start.

Slight changes in some of the rules concerning weight breaks, and total car weight. Weight to be adjusted for perimeter style chassis.

Eliminated traction control and tire soaking, and discussed possible ways to police them.

Slight changes in some of the operating procedures, such as the addition of a protest system.

Identified several proposals to the attending racers for possible changes to engine packages, mainly in heads and intakes. They are looking at the Brodix and Edelbrock spec systems. These are for 2006 and beyond.

Better points fund. Must run 2/3rds of the series races to be eligible.

Trucks will be the ARTS style trucks with their current rules. Basic purse pays $750 to win. He explained his negotiations with Jon Garrett concerning the ARTS series.

Dickerson has some good ideas to raise money for points funds, and has good ideas on how to help racers obtain sponsorships.

He seemed to have a handle on the problems that we face today in the racing environment. He also had a good explanation why he wants to eventually go to 3 travelling series all running the same venues on the same night.

This is a very brief explanation of what went on, they will probably issue a press release about all this.

There were about ten late model teams and 3 or 4 trucks represented at the meeting.

Anyone have a first hand report?  Mr. Dickerson didn't reveal much this morning on Chuck's show...

that's true. I don't know how he held up under the viscious barrage of "investigative reporter-like" pressure Chuck was subjecting him to.

Jay ;)

Jay,

Just for the record...

I knew I only had Terry for about 3-4 minutes (the new 4-minute media man?)...

I didn't want to get into any extensive, detailed conversation with Terry knowing we'd only have him for a short time..

Believe me, if I had a show this week, I'd have him in-studio, and go over all the specifics of what he announced at Sunday's meeting..

I'm open to any/all other show suggestions..and ALWAYS open for feedback!

:lol::lol::lol:

Jay,

Always great to trade barbs with ya...my turn for the "little winky guy" ;)

We're a "go" for the show in 2005. But, it would REALLY HELP if everyone would send a quick note to mzone1300@hotmail.com, telling our Program Director (Trey Poston) that they appreciate The Zone putting on one of just 2 weekly racing shows in Texas..

As we said on the show yesterday...this is NOT about me, or Ric Clark, or any of our guests..it's about putting on a racing show and getting publicity for racing out on the air, especially local racing..

Thanks...

New name is the "United States Racing Association." (USRA)

It looks like there is another USRA in the works.

http://www.racefan.com/sResults.asp?Sancti...&StoryID=139936

It would be logical to assume that Mr. Dickerson is working on landing a major sponsor that will end up being the series name -- like the XXX Auto Parts Super Late Model Series. If this is so, then the USRA title is just a temporary deal anyway.

Nick Holt

I don't know anything about what the 3rd series will be but if I could put my 10 cents in I have seen an affordable and competitive seires work very very well.

I'm going to say two bad words but hear me out.

ASA

Crate Motors

It is a well known fact the money problems with ASA but the ASA late model divison (a seperate entity) is very strong. I saw first hand by racing in the ASALM series myself how an inexpensive car can put on a great show with huge car counts. 1st race in Wisconson had 64 cars show and IRP had 52 show. They sent cars home every race.

Rule Summary:

Crate Engine was a Ford, Chevy or Dodge (400 HP), carbs were same and tires were limited. $250 or less on shocks, one msd system

Many tracks all over have adopted the ASALM rules for their weekly race track series like Madison International and others. Hendrick Motorsports is focusing their driver development program in the ASALM.

There is a lot of people with cars parked that can't afford a Romco type set up but could easily adapt their car for a series like the ASALM.

It would also be neat to have a series that would be in line with other series across the nation.

It is also a great way for the Romco or USRA to sell used cars and parts

Take your shoots at this Idea now.

hell, he wants a truck series-i saw one on the tube at Port A this weekend while at the beach that had peterbilts ,k-woppers and macks racing on short tracks-looked interesting-something different-ought to jump on it before somebody else does-heard thr looking is at it for new class -lol :P:P:P:P:P:lol::lol:

Jason...please don't tell that to Mr. France the elder...he's a real cranky SOB...rich too...but he knows how to make a kick ass chili dog...I don't even like hot dogs and I ate 5 of 'em...the secret he says is in lightly browning the buns...said he learned it as a kid working in the concession booth...showed the girl how to do it himself...real particular...I was afraid he was going to smack the poor girl when she messed one up...he's a total freak about it...but I digress...oh yea, he knows a little about makin $$$ off racing...

It is my understanding from attending the meeting that they want clearly identified stepping stones...in cost and ability...cars and series structure that the casual/TV fan can relate to...USRA already has the formula they want to work with, the one they are copying from NASCAR.

While I want the truck series they use to be ARTS and for all that to work out positively, it is hard to argue with their business plan. TAMS is/are cool, the racing community loves them, but the casual fan off the couch is not going to identify with it. Modifieds are not one of the 3 major NASCAR series. Once the fans start drinking the Kool-aide, we can turn them on to TAMS, SS, HS, TPS, and whatever else. Yes I know, Hotrod Johnny, I'll mention RTA so you don't have to hijack this thread.

You see the uproar the trucks has caused...can you imagine if they would have tried to incorporate a TSRS type series this year?

So I guess he will need a jumping stone betweem ARTS and ROMCO because there is a BIG jump from a 108" GM Metric chassis with a 300hp crate motor to a full blown super latemodel with 550+ horsepower. TAMS and TSRS are the only 2 series I can think of.

Archived