Pontaic Sunfire for a ministock

Howdy, my ol' taurus died(one of those buy a new part every week paycheck cars) and I recently came across a 1995 Pontiac Sunfire which is now my daily driver for the next however long or so. I've been wanting to build a ministock for a good while now and I was wanting y'all's opinions on the car. I know there's a blue 28 that runs the same car, and the specs look good, anybody driven one of these on the track? Car feels like it handles pretty good. Thanks

good motors but a little heavy. If it has the 2.3 you would be better but the Sunfire is a couple hundred pounds heavier than the saturns and that translates to a lot when hp is so low. Id guess a couple tenths off at least. But with that said you would be pretty comparable with everyone else. Most cars are letting the saturns go ahead and then racing each other anyways. its really like two separate races going on out there.

I've got the 2.2. According to the paper specs I've got a little bit more torque but there is a 215 lb weight difference that would be the killer. Looks like the car would be competitive with the sentras out there though. Is there anything (legal of course) that I would be able to do to the car to make it more competitive with the saturns? Or do I just have to hope for a weight penalty for them? :):P Either way I'm enjoying the show and can't wait to be in it in a year or two.

I'll just have to fill my roll cage with helium and hope for the best then, I guess, well I guess I could always try and trade my car in for a saturn when she's paid off and I have a better one if I really wanted to.. Fun little car though. Got my first check engine light in it today... Took it to autozone to get the codes ran, and their reader couldn't communicate with the car, so I cranked the car up and the light flashed a couple times and disappeared! I guess she just wanted some attention haha

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks Geetar! I'm not sure if you meant it as a compliment but I'm going to take it as one, seeing that the Saturns out ran my little ZX2 by a second in lap times during practice and during the race. Still love the statement and I'm glad someone is noticing my little deuce! That race was a blast even though I ended up 6th. I rarely get on here but my husband mentioned the post to me and I wanted to say thanks!! Hope to see you out there sometime!

Hey Geetar,

We have the only ZX2 and its the black #2. The Saturn's all made it in the top 4 and the other one had some mechanical issues and came in 11th I think. .The results are on Centexspeedway.com

Also drop by the pits and let us know if there's anything we can do to help you get that car on the track.

The only thing my car and the 07 have in common is the pink. His is a solid pink Saturn and mine is a black ZX2 with pink accents. So, if you were talking about the pink 07 then you see what everyone else sees and that is that the Saturns have more speed. Still was a great race and hope to see you out there soon!!

Ah ok, I thought the 07 was a saturn while watching it race but one of the drivers I was talking to after the races said it was a ZX2. Also, I just read over the rules again, and nowhere in there does it say your car has to be 4cyl anymore... Hmm.. Are there any v6 cars on the track right now?

http://centexspeedway.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2014_CTS_Sport_Compact_Rules1.pdf

the neons are really not that fast under the hood i thought . . they make really good handling race cars the balance seemed better than most stock frw ..probably the wheel base had a part in that ..i think the neon runs on two wheels only .. lol i know jesse spent a tps race counting the tread on wills neon ,,those rear tires spent more time in the air than on the ground ..will was using the nose of the pinto as a jack at full speed ........

i will add i watched that race at kyle and loved every minute of it ..joshua raced a v6 honda at cc .the hp in that honda was so close to the four banger power ...now given the weight between the v6 verses four .look at what power there is between the two with weight thought in the process .i would stay with the four .cc was hard on tires with added weight .i think the weight a v6 brings will hurt you over the period of a race at kyle. you will burn the tires off though you may have a big lead that advantage is now gone .. it will cost you more ......we ate up more tire than the other honda four banger who was running right there with our v6 ......

the ford probe that won the race a few years back was not that fast at kyle and it was a standard ..the saturns had more power .but the probe got through the turns better .. my point power did not win the race .the driver did ..

Of course, the Neons raced the ones that wouldn't give up the heavier Mustangs, or at least it seems heavier. You're absolutely right about handling at CC. If your car handles well, you don't need as much speed especially if you hook up on the high side. Haven't been to THR/CTS in a few years but hopefully some of the locals help you out no matter what car you bring out.

• 1 month later...

Let us know if you need help getting it race ready. Have welder, will travel. Now if you want it to go fast and corner, you might need to talk to someone else.

I was the one who said it was a Zx2 and I must have been heat stroking out. It was definitely a Saturn.

Just a piece of the roll cage needs to be moved above the steering wheel because I'm too tall and my knees are up against it, but I'll find someone here in Austin to do that for now, until I learn to weld myself. Hoping to be on the track for the July race! Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

Archived