NASCAR - Most Championships equal best driver?

elliottfan

Most Championships equal best driver?

Not Necessarily......

Today it's all about money....big money teams, big money owners, big money sponsors

Back in the day of Petty it wasn't so much that way.....Races were run on REAL RACE tracks.....dirt and asphalt.....not the 1 1/2 mile cookie cutter crap...

For my money, and I'm biased from my old ASA/ARTGO days, it was Alan Kulwicki and his Underbird....The last independent owner/driver to win a championship....

post-34-1385867119.jpg

well he has had the best team for those 6 ..and some good luck to boot .but its hard to put jimmy up against dale and petty the cars today are not even close to the cars back then . those cars were hot /not as much down force .shock package .tires ...ect ..i think if jimmy lost his crew chief he would end up like jeff ...really i think jeff is a better driver ...dang did i just say that ..

I will say that JJ and his team are the best under the current point system. But I still put him behind Earnhardt and Petty. I really don't have anything against the guy, but Gordon would have 6 titles and Johnson 3 if they hadn't changed the format. Theoretically anyway.

Most Championships equal best driver?

Not Necessarily......

Today it's all about money....big money teams, big money owners, big money sponsors

Back in the day of Petty it wasn't so much that way.....Races were run on REAL RACE tracks.....dirt and asphalt.....not the 1 1/2 mile cookie cutter crap...

For my money, and I'm biased from my old ASA/ARTGO days, it was Alan Kulwicki and his Underbird....The last independent owner/driver to win a championship....

post-34-1385867119.jpg

Oh hey, look at that. Alan is in that picture. Somehow I missed that.

Jimmies got talent...i hate to admit that but it comesdown more to a good car,good crew chief and crew.

Even at our level, a good driver in a bad car goes nowhere, while some really bad drivers in a good car

Win often. I think a good car is crucial and these cars today are like a airplane compared to the old heavy ckunkers of the past.

Im gonna go with the 3 on this one

You have guys that won championships without hardly winning a race and others who won everything. Both are champions. So what makes one better then the other. Its a hard question to answer. Everybody did something right to get there but no clear definition of what makes one better then the other.

But If I had to chose, its gonna be ole DW.

Archived