My Friend, Marty Little

King237

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay...spoke with Marty Wednesday afternoon. I asked how the Chemo went Tuesday and he said "it didn't". Says his blood sugar was way off and trouble with blood pressure too. Was speaking with me from the ER and wanted me to continue thinking and praying for him. He should be out of the hospital by Friday and I'll update this again. He also said to thank the "Prayer Warriors" which is what I am doing now! More as I get it from him later.....

Lord, I wish You'd tell us what's going on with Marty. But You know, and that's all that's really important. It's up to us just to trust Your will for us and know that we will understand it all one glorious day. In Jesus Name. Amen

• 2 weeks later...

Received a call from Marty Thursday and he had his 5th round of chemo Wednesday. All vitals back to safe level and feeling good. What kept him delayed is now ok. Sounded positive and in better spirits. Wanted me to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I will update again as I know more but for now, your prayers are working for this fine man.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in touch every day or within a day or two of a call with Marty since my last report and not much had changed so I didn't report on it. Today's call was different. He went to the doctor for a MRI and the tumor shows growth. They have removed him from chemo treatment and placed him in a Stage 1 Hospice using "alternative medicine" for treatment. He is in fairly good spirits with it and one can only hope for the best. He says stage 1 hospice is "at home" and they will have a nurse and others with him daily for now. That "for now" part is what I am concerning myself with at this point. I'll update as needed...we all know what we have to do "for now".

Doesn't sound like the sort of news anyone was hoping for. Sometimes we just have to accept what the Lord has in mind whether we understand it or not... My prayers continue for this situation. Thanks for the report, King237.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I am deeply concerned today as they removed Marty from the house yesterday and took him to the hospital. I received a call from Janet (his wife) when it happened and checked on him today and he is not doing better. She fears the tumor has increased in size yet again and is giving him hydration and related problems. For the past few weeks I speak with him sometimes twice daily and up until yesterday, things were fine. Lord I pray that you'll work this out for Marty. Nick suggested I let the "Prayer Warriors" know of this...Thank you Nick......

I received a call from Janet about 745pm tonight that Marty is gone. I will miss my friend and know that heaven will welcome him with open arms! Thanks to everyone whose thoughts and prayers meant so much to him throughout the past 6+ months...he mentioned you folks often. Know that this was appreciated by me as well.

This sad news from Bob tonight.

My great friend Marty Little just passed away. Received a call from his wife that he is gone. As I know more I will advise those who request more info. He was taken to the hospital yesterday morning in bad shape and passed away today.

I had just spoken with him Thursday night twice and he was in fine spirits as he had been throughout this ordeal since last October.

RIP Marty ...you will be missed!

sad i can see the love you have for him hard to lose someone but they are never gone .i lost my mom to cancer and i felt what you as a friend a brother was going through . the greatest thing he left this world knowing you were always there for him and his family and you let us join in his life .....

the greatest thing he left this world knowing you were always there for him and his family and you let us join in his life .....

Absolutely Correct: "My life was enriched due to him and I will forever be grateful"

Brief funeral home obituary:

Martin "Marty" Little of Plantation, FL passed away 4/12/13. Born 6/6/46, USAF vet. He was a race car announcer, journalist, and historian. He currently worked at Dometic Enviromental. He is survived by his wife Janet, children Richard, Suzanne (Brian) grandson Paul, brother David (Malinda) their children Chris, Dee, and Katelyn. Donations to Vitas 152 or Victory Junction Gang. Funeral at Fred Hunters Davie Location on Fri. 4/18 6-9pm with Memorial Service at 7:00 PM.

And from Jaski's webpage:

Sad News - Marty Little: Longtime Florida racing journalist, promoter and track announcer Marty Little passed away on Saturday, April 12th in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Little was a USAF Vet and longtime track announcer at the now defunct Hialeah Speedway.

Little, the public relations person for Rahmoc Racing, wrote weekly racing articles for National Speed Sport News for South Florida race tracks and was the historian for South Florida racing for over 40 years.

Marty is the brother of long time Penske Racing employee David Little.

Little was working at Dometic Enviromental prior to his passing.

Survivors include wife Janet, children Richard, Suzanne (Brian) grandson Paul, brother David (Malinda) their children Chris, Dee, and Katelyn.

Donations to Vitas 152 or Victory Junction. Services info at Fred Hunters in Davie, FL.(4-15-2014)

Got this from a close friend of Marty's:

Know that he enjoyed your website....I sent him links often to things I thought
he'd be interested in and always was right. He mentioned to me often about how LSSZ was a
"clean" website since he quit going to the ones from the tracks because they were so negative.

Please know he was a journalist first and appreciated your work and site.

Thanks for everyone's prayers. Marty was laid to rest with a full USAF funeral. Over 300 people attended his funeral and per his last wishes, race cars were placed in the parking lot and my son played Taps again after the USAF. Marty's journey on earth has now ended and his life in heaven begins.

Archived