New Street Stock

drew

To all street stock drivers. I have a friend that we are building a street stock for. Due to budget constraints, I was going to give him my last years late model body with a few changes to it( width and spoiler ) Though the entire car is legal to the rules, the body is in question. Can any one help me out on this?

#6. Appearance - Car must have a factory recognizable appearance. Stock, remanufactored and homebuilt steel or aluminum body panels. Truck, El Camino, Cadillac’s, Station wagons, any full size car from factory is legal. Rear spoiler on deck lid to be no taller then 6 inches, no longer then 12 inches on the sideboards. Can not exceed width of car. Driver cockpit can be enclosed. Car appearance will be heavily scrutinized. Refer to Allowances for stock bodied cars.

Because there is a limited late model class we feel that is where mini clutches, late model bodies, etc need to stay. Both of those rules got out of hand this hand and we are trying to reel them back toward a truer street stocker. With that being said we are allowing home made bodies but a good effort will have to be put foward to make them alot closer to real cars. Alot of guys are doing it running factory stocks up north and they look very good, its not hard nor a big deal when you have months to get ready for it.

Please read the rules guys it says sheet metal bodies are allowed but if you dont put in an effort to make them look like something other then a late model they will not be legal. We encourage you to build your bodies by all means save money and do it yourself but you can easily put effort into them and make them look like they belong in street stock.

I think you know what loose lugs is saying. Either make this a STREET STOCK series or a limited late model series. Yes Camaros do come with a stock frame. Connecting a frame with tube and building a completely tubular frame from the front clip back is two totally different things. Lets get real! Do we need to go over every difference one by one here???

We have made it very clear we are pulling back some rules to make this a street stock class. Also with the new rules we made it very clear what we are looking for on the rear suspension of tubular leaf spring cars and coil spring cars.

"Leaf spring cars must retain the factory location of the front leaf spring mount including the chassis mount height. Front leaf spring mount location has a tolerance of .5 inches from factory location on both left and right locations."

This is techable and we will be measuring and teching to make sure chassis points are where they should be. Also any one running a tubular leaf spring car will have a 50 lb allowance. They will also have to add an additional 50 lb for having nonstock shock mounts. Thats 100 lbs with just those two items. Most likely they will not have a stock floor pan or firewall. Additional weight allowances will be added for that. Any nova or camero not choosing to do this will have a 100 - 125 lb weight advantage. No different if a coil spring car decides to run a 3 link. 50 lb allowance verses car that decide not to run a 3 link. Suspension mounting points will be a focal point for all cars no matter the type of rear suspension.

Information for thought over the last two seasons more coil spring cars have won shootout races then tubular leaf spring cars. Also wins are coming from a veriety of drivers and with more drivers coming I expect that to continue.

Thanks for the info... All I wanted was a body question answered. I have a pic of a super street that if allowed here we will offer them as one of our body packages for drivers if desired and allowed. As for the original question, we are just gonna make it a limited late model and agree that they need to be seperate classes in the sense. Thanks for all the input.. didnt mean to start a fight over the rules, just wanted to ask a sheet metal question. Thanks!

I don't see where the tube rear clip is a big advantage .. except for overall wieght ,but you still have to make min weight. As long as the rear clip is the same width as the front , and it's not off set .and it's not a straight rail on the pass side , the springs are the same width apart as stock . what i'am saying there are a lot of old late model (asphalt ) chassis around with camaro front stubs that could be made in to street stocks. and the cages are pro built and a lot safer than some of the home grown cars i 've seen around..

Its easier to repair when you back it in the wall than trying to find another stock rear clip and replacing it .and it takes out the rusty stock frame rail( un-safe) out of the picture I know this thread satrted out as a body question but , i get fired up when the rules get so restrictive that it keeps the car count down. Bottom line is more safety, more cars , more money for the promoter . If the track dosen't make a good return on his investment he will close it .. I guess i got on a rant there but just sayin .. Walt

I think Mr. Danielson is trying to be all inclusive instead of cutting out folks.Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds to me the tube cars are going to get weight penalties to even things out somewhat.If I as a fan had a choice of what kind of Street Stock I'd like to see it would be cars like the 18,48 and 41.

With the correct weight allowances and other rules we have in place this coming year will be the fairest year yet for competition on the track. We are not IROC with cookie cutter cars and never will be. We have to strive for the most cars possible with a uniform set of rules that is fair. Ther are alot of older cars racing and we have to keep them on the track. Its human nature to think of how this impacts you and your team but leave that to us. We are working hard to make each year better. The rules are out there, they are out there early so do what you need to do to upgrade, rebuild, redo, or just get ready when the time comes and feel free to continue asking questions if your in a gray area! Thanks guys

I don't mind the tube clips I hate bodies that from a common non car person cant tell what it is like aj car was the 41 and 118 look great but a couple of the pics Danielson posted look nothin like real cars they make nose and tail peices to help resemble real cars but that's just my opinion it just nice when someone non racing savy can tell the difference in the streets and llm

Archived